Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Petland n St.Catharines: Dog with Mange

greaterdane
March 12th, 2005, 02:44 PM
I was at Petland in St.Catharines and decided to take a look at the poor puppies. I saw 2 cute Doxen puppies and one appeared to be lacking in hair and had red spots on its body. I looked up mange on the net and the pictures they showed looked exactly like what this puppy had. The puppies were sleeping at the time, but what can I do about this pup. I mentioned it to the girl working and she said that its just a rash from the food change. I asked where they got them and they said a local breeder. I know they get them from a dunville puppymill but thats not the point. What can I do about this poor pup. The little things cost $1500 and you can finance!!! This outrages me. Please let me know who to contact. :mad:

goldenblaze
March 12th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Contact the HS or SPCA in that area... mange can and will spread to everyone that touches the puppies if it is Sarcoptic...like scabies in people. Other mange is demodex which Blaze had, it comes from the mother while nursing days after they are born. Mange drives the animal crazy with itching and must be treated by a Vet, nothing else works. Lots on line about mange some true some not, I lived with it for months while Blaze fought it and we hope are ok now but it takes many treatments to rid and than you can only hope it's gone for good. Call whoever it takes the puppies are suffering. Pets stores that sell pups make me sick :evil:
all about the money...

greaterdane
March 12th, 2005, 03:02 PM
i contacted the LCHS and they are sending an officer out. WOOT WOOT

goldenblaze
March 12th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Great....they will take the puppies to the Vet and if it is mange they will start treatment... poor things. Good thing you were there to see this and made the call for help...People need to have a voice for the voiceless. Thanks :thumbs up

mafiaprincess
March 12th, 2005, 04:14 PM
I was there 2 days ago, and they were 1300. I held the little brown one... I wanted to take him home... He had an odd spot on his head that was the size of half the top of my pinky, but other than that he seemed okay a few days ago.

goldenblaze
March 12th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Both pups will have mange as it is not possilbe to sleep in the same kennel/cage and the mites not be on both. It does start with l thought were littermate bites on his neck, then went on head, front legs and want on and on all over his body in a matter of days. Very scary and heartbroken watching him suffer and think of the people that sold him... I wanted them to feel his pain :evil:
Anyway not nice thing, hope the HS gets there fast. :mad:

twodogsandacat
March 12th, 2005, 07:27 PM
Where's Petland? I've never heard of it. I didn't know there were still stores in St. Catharines that sold dogs.

Good for you for reporting it.

mafiaprincess
March 12th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Petland is on ontario st.
From how the little guy looked 2 days ago, it could be ringworm instead.

twodogsandacat
March 12th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Petland is on ontario st.
From how the little guy looked 2 days ago, it could be ringworm instead.

Oh, I thought that was just a bird and fish kind of pet store. I'm the Petsmart, SuperPet, Pet Valu kind of guy.

At $1300 - 1500 I wouldn't think I'd be getting a dog with ringworm either.

goldenblaze
March 12th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Does ring worm spread on the body? I'm not sure never seen it before, hope I never do. :confused:

Lucky Rescue
March 12th, 2005, 08:48 PM
i contacted the LCHS and they are sending an officer out. WOOT WOOT

Yay! Denying animals necessary medical care is breaking the law and you should report every infraction you see. Maybe make these puppy peddlers clean up their act if they are harassed and fined often enough. :mad:

db7
March 12th, 2005, 09:25 PM
There is little hope for these poor beasties from puppymills when idiots are willing to pay $1500 for a sick chimera. :eek:

It's madness that you can by a perfect pup from a pro for almost half that.

What are people thinking?

mafiaprincess
March 12th, 2005, 09:33 PM
I debated that out loud with two of the employees while I was walking around with the doxie. People will pay 1000, or more for a pup that comes from a petstore because usually if you can pay for it, it is no questions asked. Some people see it as less hassle. Doesn't make it right, but I was refused for a small dog from the shelter because I'm in an apartment building. Didn't matter after that question what else I had said, that sealed the deal in me being refused. After that, I can understand someone's mentality for the ease of no questions asked.

Also, it can be an impulse buy at a petstore. It has to be planned from a breeder. Too many people like things to happen right now. Society teaches people to have less and less patience.

mafiaprincess
March 14th, 2005, 09:47 PM
I went to petland this evening, and saw the two doxies again.. They don't have anything wrong with them, and the spot of hair on the one has filled back in.

krdahmer
March 16th, 2005, 02:12 AM
Petland....is the one that used to be Henley Pet Center right? That's where I got Cordy all those years ago before knowing the evils of BYBs and mills...and how those kind of shops are keeping them in business! I have to admit, that it was because her and her poor litter mates looked so scared and dirty all huddled in their litter box that my roomate at the time and I decided we had to save at least one. That was the best $20 I have ever spent, at 7 now, she is busy keeping my retired parents (and former 'no more pets for us' people) company. Not to mention that because of her little Shadow found a great home with them as well. Not that this story has much to do with a puppy with mange, just a story you reminded me of. :rolleyes:

MegShawnMom
March 16th, 2005, 08:42 AM
If Mafiaprincess says the spots have cleared up was it really mange or just a rash? .
I know that part of the treatment is using 'revolution 3x2weeks along with some antibiotics.A skin scraping would have to be done to show it is mange(2 types) and no vet would say without that test.
Has anybody checked with the inspector to see if they investigated yet?

BMDLuver
March 16th, 2005, 09:02 AM
krdahmer reminded me as I was having trouble remembering a petland in st kitts. Ugh, Henley had to have been the worst pet store ever. We paid $9 for a kitten that was slowly dying of starvation. I pointed him out and the owner said, well he'll make it or not. So I said how much for a dying kitten, he agreed on the $9. Tigger came home with me and was fed formula along with antibiotics and vitamins for two weeks. His care amounted to $400 in that time. He would try to walk and fall over and be unable to get back up. The vet felt that the malnutrition had somehow affected his brain and development. His hind legs were cow-hocked so he needed special ointment to help the wounds. He had extra toes which were also deformed and would grow into his large pad. Tigger was a mess but he made it. I despise that place and if it's the same owner he's still flogging sick pets... grrrrr

goldenblaze
March 16th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Mange does not just go away over night.... if revolution is used it is 1 pack every 15 days... no more than that not 3.
I used it wilth Blaze demodex mange it was for 6 weeks and skin scraping after that... sometimes nothing is found well doing the skin scraping. Took 8 times to get a mite from Blaze.. when it was found it was a large older mite on the top of his head but the mange was all over his back, legs, belly, neck. One mite is all we ever found but he had it forsure.
Hope the pups are fine... any news yet?

mafiaprincess
March 16th, 2005, 11:34 AM
You are right, mange doesn't go away over night. The dog was seemed fine except for the spot on his head which could have been from a lot of things last week, and monday night I held the little guy again, and looked him all over because I was kind of concerned. There was nothing wrong with him, or his brother.

In talking to the employees, the spca visits regularily to check on conditions in the store, like bi monthly, sometimes more. The puppy had only been there a few hours when I saw it last week, I assume it was a rash, maybe from the switch up of food even.

I'm glad you all care about their health. Too few people do.

If anyone wants to go freak out over petstore conditions, go to the one in the Oshawa centre,.. I was there a few weeks ago, they had a few 4-6 month old dogs that were getting too big for their crates, the dogs were all dirty, in serious need of baths, and their were feces all over their crates, and themselves. They had no toys, and were near the worst health I have ever seen in petstore dogs.

dryestfiber
January 19th, 2006, 02:10 PM
I got a dog from pet land and it was born with cancer i payed 400.00 dollars at the time for her and she was a purebred with no papers... I just got a snake from them and it died within a week so i took it back and got a new one so far this ones doing very well. but i dont find them to know too much about animals. I have my papers for a vets Asst. so i go in the pet store letting on i know nothing and they feed me alot of crap thinking they know everything.... it just urks me to know that i cant shut them down.

Lucky Rescue
January 19th, 2006, 03:53 PM
The only way to stop pet stores from selling puppies, kittens and other live animals is to STOP buying them. This is a for-profit business, and runs on supply & demand. As long as people buy puppies there, they will continue to sell them. You bought a puppy and a snake there, so they made a profit and have no reason to stop the sales.

Do not buy anything at stores that deal in live animals, and tell them why you will no longer patronize them. Tell friends and family to do the same.

In the meantime, if you see any mistreated animals at any petstore, call your local humane society and ask them to do an inspection.