Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog tear stains - tear stains in dogs

chocolatecoffee
March 12th, 2005, 02:43 PM
I have a 2-year-old Maltese and she has pretty bad tear stains. I got some tear stain remover, but it really doesn't seem to work. I was trying to find one that actually works, but a guy at a store said that none of them really work, just give the dog bottled water and it should help a little. I've read about the hydrogen peroxide solutions and such, but I'm a bit hesitant to put any of that on her face. I looked on the archives and I only found one post about it where somebody recommended Eye Envy, but I'm not sure if this is just another one of those products that don't work. Have any of you ever found anything that works?

mafiaprincess
March 12th, 2005, 04:25 PM
I don't have a white dog, but I have an apricot one.. Her tear stains were always wet and almost slimy.. Sorry almost too much info. The road to fixing it started for me with changing to a better food, and washing her including her face once a week with a no tear shampoo. It wasn't a quick fix, but in a few months they went from the first thing you noticed about her, to barely visable.

topaz_n29
March 12th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Krikit(12yrs. old) is the second Maltese i have owned. Hers are also bad.
I keep the area around her eye clipped and just wash it..hers are so bad sumtmx it will actually make the skin raw. I clip as short as possible and then just clean..if your baby will sit still for u..a bit of proxide carefully dabbed there will help a bit..i used to use a Product called Diamond Eye, whe they were young. My White Boxer had the same prob. keeping it clean and clipped will help a bit. Top.

SnowDancer
March 15th, 2005, 06:04 PM
We have an 11 month old male American Eskimo - so far no tear stains. He is a mini/standard with a Teddy Bear face. Someone told me that fuller face helps but who knows? I have been told though that careful rinsing of the eye and a diet not too high in protein will help. My dog - who has a problem with corn and wheat - eats human grade chicken with vegetables and salmon with vegetables and his cookies are wheat free as well. Guess I will see how things go as he matures. But I agree, I would be very hesitant to use products around his eyes. I can't even use eye drops myself. Certainly seems to be prevalent in the white pom/maltese/bichon/eskie/poodle groups.

glasslass
March 15th, 2005, 06:55 PM
The red tear stains are caused by oxidation. I've had 4 white poodles over the last 39 years and have never had a problem with this. Several times a day, it's just habit for me to check Den-Den's eyes and clear away any "eye boogers" that may have formed to keep his tear ducts from clogging. I also keep the hair clipped under his eyes so there's no irritation from that. I praise his "beautiful eye-eyes" when I fuss with him and he eats the attention right up.

whatsknew
April 19th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Hi there
I've got a Bichon who used to have tear stains.
I asked a vet assistant about it last year and she told me
to start giving him a "Cherry Rolaid" a day.
She said that she has no idea why it works but it had helped many.

After about 2 weeks the tearing had stopped. I've told this to two other Bichon owners that I work with and the Rolaids worked for them too.

It can't be "Tums" they don't work (that's what I first tried until the vet assistant corrected me)

CyberKitten
April 19th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Like Glassglass, I had a poodle for a long time (17 yrs) and never experienced any probs once! I always checked his eyes and cleaned them daily - sometimes more than daily. I do the same now with YY - with her shiny white coat. If one does not clean them frequently, they can become infected and that is when you have excessive tearing and noticeable staining.

Minerals in the water can also cause problems but again, cleaning them often should help. A vet may be able to help if there is an infection now.,