Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog hiding treat

raingirl
March 11th, 2005, 06:06 PM
What does it mean when Odin is hiding a treat?? This is the first time he has done this. He keeps walking around the apartment, putting it somewhere. Goes back, picks it up and moves it somewhere else.

twodogsandacat
March 11th, 2005, 06:20 PM
What does it mean when Odin is hiding a treat?? This is the first time he has done this. He keeps walking around the apartment, putting it somewhere. Goes back, picks it up and moves it somewhere else.

Dalton does this with bones and rawhide. If he turns around and Google is watching he digs it up and hides it again. All the while looking around looking very nervous. If we let it go on too long he will get rug burn on his nose as he tries to hide it under blankets, in the couch, under laundry. Why he does it I have no idea why he does this but it really seems to stress him out.

Katherine1
March 11th, 2005, 06:52 PM
I haven't experienced this raingirl. Maybe he is trying to find a good hiding place in case he has visiters and he wants to make sure they don't get his treat. :D

coppperbelle
March 11th, 2005, 07:25 PM
My sister's poodle use to do this. She would find dog cookies all over the house, under the couch, in the cushions, under beds etc... She kept finding them for months after the dog died.

db7
March 11th, 2005, 09:06 PM
Just savin' them for later! If my beast isn't hungry enough to finish her dinner she tosses her blankets over the bowl to "bury" the leftovers.

raingirl
March 11th, 2005, 10:04 PM
I was laughing so hard at him trying to bury his "greenie" under his blankets on his doggy bed. It was so cute. I wish I had a video camera!

The funny thing is that he was hungry, so I don't know why he wasn't eating it. Usually he gobbles up greenies right away!

twinmommy
March 11th, 2005, 10:26 PM
awwww he's trying to hide stuff!! It's a game for them I think. Jake used to expertly hide bones in far off places like....right on the stairs...right on the back of the couch...in plain view--ALL THE TIME!! It's hysterical!!

But don't you laugh!! no no no!!! Then he would get embarrassed and "move" it. :D

db7
March 11th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Mulan puts all her toys under her pillow of her dog bed. I love it, always neat and tidy, no toys lying around to trip on!

Cinnabear
March 12th, 2005, 01:32 AM
My dog does this too. His mother does it too. But he would do it outside too with real bones. I think its a learned behavior.

Prin
March 12th, 2005, 02:09 AM
I take it as a compliment because I was told that dogs only hide food when they have extra. They save it for a rainy day. My big dog hides his rawhide bones. If you give him one two days in a row, the second day, he paces around the apartment looking for a good spot.

Once he hopped up on the sofa, pulled the cushions back, dropped it in and pulled the throw blanket over it. We were dying of laughter but we had to be discreet because the minute he suspects we know where he hid it, he picks it up and starts the search all over again. My little girl found one once and he looked so violated... :)

Now he lets me help him find a spot (he trusts me enough and I have opposable thumbs which help...) but the girl can't be in the room...

chocolatecoffee
March 12th, 2005, 11:59 AM
My little one does the exact same thing! The only thing is that she's too small to throw anything on top of it, so she digs in the couch, floor, bed (wherever she decides to hide it), puts the treat down, and starts using her head to throw "dirt" over top of it. It's clearly visible, it looks exactly the same, but she thinks we can't see it (except, like Prin's dog, if she thinks we watched her, she'll take it, walk into another room, and do the exact same thing). When she leaves, my other dog'll come in and since she eats anything in sight, she gobbles it right up! I think that the other's learning to hide them better now (she usually goes up into my parents' room since Panna doesn't go in there very often) and we're finding a bunch of treats in cushions, blankets, everywhere. I don't know why she does it, but it's hilarious to watch...

lilith_rizel
March 12th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Cano did that with he beef bones. Only he would push them under the stove, and forget the he put it there :rolleyes:

honeybee4
March 12th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Harley does the exact same thing. He hides stuff everywhere, especially in dirty clothes piles. And if you are watching him, he will go and get it and take it someplace else. He keeps doing this until he is sure that you didn't watch where it hide what ever it was that he was hiding. It is really cute. We always find different treats of his when we are cleaning. We give it back to him and off he goes again. :)

chicky7773
May 15th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Hi to all....This is my very 1st post. I am a newbie!! Our dog ...Daisy does the hiding thing also......hilarious....only one small difference....When we give her a treat (greenie's, rawhide bones, pig's ear....etc) she CRIES and WHIMPERS pacing around with it in her mouth....then she tries to hide it.....sofa, chair, crate.....My husband and I thought this was so weird, but cute in a way. Does anyone know why dogs do this????:confused:

OntarioGreys
May 15th, 2006, 08:15 PM
This is instinctual behaviour necessary for the survival of dogs in the wild, but being it is instinctual that behaviour lives on in the domesticated dog as well.

Out in the wild they may only get to catch larger game only once or twice a week if that at times. So what nature provided them with a instinct to help them survive be saving food by burying it, this protects it from being found from being eaten by other predators, so when they unable to find and catch game they still have stored food to survive on. Much like the squirrel that buries nuts to do them over winter, but in the dogs cases they are only saving for maybe a week at a time rather than for a season.

HunterXHunter
May 16th, 2006, 09:31 AM
I think it's cute that they try to hide their treats...sadly, I will never see this behaviour from Hunter as he always gobbles up his treats right away. :pawprint:

Lise
May 16th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Tessa hides treats and then tries to steal everyone elses.A friend of mine was giving her ferrets pieces of cooked chicken as treats and she didn't know they were stashing most of it way in the couch.She put the couch in storage while she was between apartements,owner of storage place called her and said it smelled like something had died in her storage and please come and check.A few months worth of chicken in 90plus degree heat,she couldn't save the couch!

Dog Dancer
May 16th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Shadow hides her rawhide bones - she'll walk and whimper until it's done. One day she hid one in a plant then later dug it up and rehid it under my pillow in my bed. When I went to bed and put my arm under my pillow I found the bone and a pile of mud. That was lovely:evil: Sure enough there was dirt all over the living room too where she dug up the plant.

Now Halo eats everything so she'll put her bone down then go steal Shadows from her and then she lays down on top of her bone while she eats Shadows bone. When I caught her doing this last time she was looking at me like "No Mom - see I only have one bone!" Her head was down and her eyes were averted as she looked at me sideways - she knew she had both bones, which she also knows she's not supposed to do - what she didn't know was that the second bone was sticking out from under her bum!!

Wish I'd had the camera then.