Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy playing

Dahlia
March 11th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Ok, thought I'd ask you guys this. Sophie is 9 wks old and she nips us when she wants to play. I don't have a problem with it, as every puppy I've ever had did this and I didn't really do anything to break them from it, they just outgrew it. When she does it to me, I grab one of her toys like her rope and play a gentle tug of war with her or shake it around and let her try to grab it, or roll a ball around with her, etc...

When I took her to the vet on Monday she was chewing on the assistant's fingers and she said I shouldn't let her do that and I should hold her muzzle closed with my hand and tell her NO. I don't think that's necessary, do you?

Also, if I catch her chewing on things I don't want chewed, I just say NO and give her a chew toy, then praise her when she chews on her own toys. Is that what I should be doing? I've had dogs before and I've never had a problem with them chewing up stuff after they outgrew the puppy stage, so I don't think anything more aggressive is in order.

Sorry, guys, let me know if I ask too many questions and you get tired of it. It's just been a while since I've had a puppy.

Katherine1
March 11th, 2005, 08:38 PM
I will let the more experienced who know more about training give advise on this one.
I just thought that I would add my 2 cents worth. I have haddifferent types of dogs over the years and they ( like children ) were all different and required different ways of dealing with chewing and nipping. When Molly (she is 1 1/2 ) gets exited playing sometimes she will (not exactly nipping) put her mouth on out hand or arm while not exactly a nip her teeth are sharp. She doesn't bite down but still not something I want to encourage. I put my hand on her muzzle gently closing her mouth and telling her no bite. I tried just telling her no but that wasn't working for me. As for chewing things that she is not supposed to have I just tell her no and take the item away from her. Her favorite thing to do when she thinks she is not getting enough attention is to go into the kitchen and take my dish towel that is hanging on the stove and prance through the livingroom. She knows she is not supposed to take it and doesn't chew it I really think she just does it for the attention. :D

Jackie467
March 11th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Most puppies will nip, it's natural, but not always a good behavior. usually puppies do grow out of it, but of course every dog is differnet and some do not. with my current dog i'v never had a problem with it all, never once did she nip me even when a pup, on the other hand with our dobies i had a problem with it. our first dobe puppy we just told NO and gave him a toy to chew on and it worked, but with our next dobe puppy we had to gently push our thumb down on his tounge to get him to stop. I think if just telling her NO and giving her something else to chew on works then keep it up, no sense in using more force than is absolutly necissary.

Prin
March 12th, 2005, 02:09 AM
For me dog training all depends on what you tolerate and who will come into contact with your dog. If you keep him in your yard and you don't have guests often and basically the only other person who handles him is the vet, you just have to train how you like. If the nipping doesn't bug you, then don't train it out. Vets should be able to deal with this, whether it's by dicipline or by muzzling.
The problem is when you go outside or you bring the dog near kids. If you go in public with this dog, the dog has to behave appropriately. I have two big black doggies and people are so afraid of them, I have been accused of them biting people 4 feet away. (Like people are walking way in front of my and turn around and say they've been bitten...)

For me to feel safe with my doggies in public they had to be completely desensitized. Like if a little girl runs up and hugs my dog, he should only react positively. My 2 year old cousin bit my old dobie on the a** while he was eating. My doggie never even lifted his head. A guy on another forum said once that he didn't like boxers because he got bitten when he was little-- he said, "well actually, it was my fault because I blew on him." I said come blow on my dogs. They might have show distaste for your breath but that's about it. The thing with beagles is kids LOVE them. They are in so many kids movies that kids always want one (beagles are the new dalmations, I think...)

Bottom line is, if the behavior doesn't bug you, but can hurt someone you may come into contact with, you have a responsibility to fix it (if your dog nips a stranger, there may be legal consequences if he breaks skin and your vet won't be able to vouch for you..). If you don't tell her it's wrong now to bite (nip) how will she know later on?

As for the chewing, if what your doing works, why change it at all?

(that's my 2 cents)

mona_b
March 12th, 2005, 02:58 AM
Also, if I catch her chewing on things I don't want chewed, I just say NO and give her a chew toy, then praise her when she chews on her own toys. Is that what I should be doing?

This is exactly what you should be doing.And you are doing it right... :thumbs up..This has always been my advice on here for this situation.Keep up the good work... :thumbs up

As for the nipping,to be honest,I would not allow this.I would nip this is the bud..Sorry for the pun... :D

As Prin said,once she gets older and does nip(which does turn into biting)you will be held responsible and you will be charged or fined.And trust me,I have been called to a few cases where this has happened.So please discourage her from this now.

Dahlia
March 12th, 2005, 09:29 AM
If you keep him in your yard and you don't have guests often and basically the only other person who handles him is the vet, you just have to train how you like.

She will be going places with us and I have 3 children. There are also lots of other children and adults who come in and out here and the other kids play with her. She is very friendly and not afraid of people, just runs to them withe her tail wagging. Is that unacceptable behaviour? Should I train her to ignore everything?

If you don't tell her it's wrong now to bite (nip) how will she know later on?

I think nipping when they are puppies and biting as adults are two totally different things. I don't know how many dogs I've had and not one of them ever bit or nipped anyone after they grew out of the puppy stage. And they were around strangers, also, not just the same people all the time. Kids could climb on them, pull their tails, whatever, and the dogs would just sit there like they loved it. If they finally got tired of the harassment they would just walk away.

I'm not saying all dogs are like that, that has just been my experience. I discourage her from the nipping but I don't really punish her for it. If I did, she would feel like we were constantly yelling at her.

Thank you for your input, I do appreciate it. I will keep my guard up and work on stopping her from nipping. I definitely don't want to get into trouble later on because she puts her mouth on someone, no matter how gentle she is. We want to be able to take her anywhere without having to worry about it.

Dahlia
March 12th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Oh, I just wanted to add that there aren't really any public places here that allow dogs, except the parks, and they're not crowded. And there won't really be any walking down a busy street with her. We don't live right in the city where there are alot of people. When we take her places it will be to people's houses that we know, and when we visit my in-laws, who live 5 hrs away. We usually stay there for several days. Of course, we won't be taking her visiting without checking with whoever we're visiting first, but my in-laws are excited to see her.

I am going to teach her the basic commands, like stay, heel, sit, etc.... and make sure she follows them every time.