Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Declaw question

Shamrock
March 11th, 2005, 05:40 PM
I'm very aware that declawing is a "highly" controversial topic - with understandably passionate views. Unless a person is specifically asking for advice - I feel its best avoided entirely.

I just have two points that I would like to clarify - for another person.

I dont believe that rescues would adopt to you if they knew were planning on declawing the cat as soon as you got it home. ( or any time) Is this correct?
I believed that IF you were declawing.... it must be done at a young age.
Isnt five and a half too old for this surgery?

Maybe I'm wrong on these claims I am making. Though I have very strong feelings on the topic in general, I must admit I know little about the technical aspects.
(and the cat in question now has litterbox issues)
What a suprise :sad: )
Sigh... :sad:

Lucky Rescue
March 11th, 2005, 06:15 PM
I dont believe that rescues would adopt to you if they knew were planning on declawing the cat as soon as you got it home

We will not adopt to anyone who wants to declaw, for any reason, no matter if the cat is 10 weeks or 10 years old and no other reputable rescue would either.

The cats that come into rescue have often suffered greatly already, and we would never send them into a situation where someone would do this to them. We do get declawed cats in fairly regularly (declawing is no guarantee a cat won't be dumped anyway) if someone wants to wait for one.

The above was just to answer your question concerning rescues, as the topic of declawing has been discussed in depth here before as you can see if you do a "search".

Hope you don't mind but I'm going to lock this thread as I feel you can get enough feedback/opinions in other threads!