Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

In case i died, how to care for the pets

melanie
March 11th, 2005, 04:25 PM
this is strange, cute and funny. thought i should share :D

a friend of mine is obviously a loving pet owner, she has made a poster for her kitchen cupboard. on it she has made a complete list of instructions for the care of her animals in the event she died suddenly and someone came to feed them.

this friend has 7 dogs, one very big pig, a cat, a bird and 4 ducks. so the list is extensive and covers each animals personality, food requirements, emotional requirements and likes and dislikes.

now that is cute and very loving, at least we know she really does care for her babies. :D

raingirl
March 11th, 2005, 04:30 PM
That's nice to know! Maybe I should do that for Odin in case something happened!

Melanie, I notice you have a quote from David Suzuki there. He's a really nice guy. Met him a few times. He used to do his laundry at the laundry mat on my University campus in Toronto.

Lucky Rescue
March 11th, 2005, 05:02 PM
In addition to making lists of the pets' likes and dislikes, money should be included in the will for their care, and if someone has agreed to take them on, they should be named as well and the money appointed to them.

In the last year, we have gotten several calls from people who have had relatives pass away and leave behind up to 17 cats, with no money left and no instructions.:(

Accidents can happen even to young people, and I'm sure no one here would want their beloved pets dying in the shelter should anything happen.

Katherine1
March 11th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Wow this really go me to thinking!
I am Molly's primary caregiver as I am a stay at home mom. I started thinking of all the things that someone should know if something happened to me. I couldn't believe how long the list was. All the little day to day things that normaly you don't think much of. I talked it over with the family and I am working on a list of things that I think they should know just in case. Furbaby life span is shorter than ours but Life is to unpredictable to leave to chance that someone else will care for her as I do should something happen to me.

CyberKitten
March 11th, 2005, 10:18 PM
I think it is critical to make plans in the event something happens to you. I made plans and set up a trust fund for YY as soon as she arrived home. I've seen too many cases of people dying and family members incapable, unwilling or who find it financially difficult to take in the pets of someone else, even a close family member. And let's face it, not everyone in our family loves them like we do!

I recall writing about this in a previous post - probably when I first got Yin Yin. I have asked my sister - because she has experience in caring for and understanding Siamese cats - if she'd be willing if something suddently happened to me. But there are also sanctuaries and centers whose mission is to look after pets. You deposit so much money each month and so the center will have money to work with when your pet is suddenly without you. (And it happens, regardless of whether we are 20 or 80.)

I keep a journal and list her favourite things and make observations about her personality so that my sister has something to work with.

It is amazing how many people - through an oversight - do not take their beloved pets into account when they die. Or it is just not something they think of and assume other family members will pitch in and unfortunately, that is not always true. You also need someone who will understand their grief and how to cope with. (My sister brought her kitties to a pet psycholgist (behaviourist really) when she was going through a divorce so I know she will take into account YY's emotional well being.

chico2
March 11th, 2005, 10:26 PM
It has worried me lately,I am 61 and my cats might very well outlive me...hopefully hubbie will still be around.
Even if we leave instructions and money for our cats,how can we be sure they are not dumped at HS?
I have 3 sons,but only one who could possibly take the cats,but he has a Jack Russel,not cat-friendly....my friends who like cats all already have multiple cats,it is a problem when you get up there in age :sad:

twinmommy
March 11th, 2005, 10:45 PM
Chico--don't worry another minute. I think I can speak for all who know you on this site...(although I don't like thinking of this at all :sad: )

No one here will let your cats go uncared for. ESPECIALLY not to the HS!!

Iggette
March 12th, 2005, 04:04 AM
Chico--don't worry another minute. I think I can speak for all who know you on this site...(although I don't like thinking of this at all :sad: )

No one here will let your cats go uncared for. ESPECIALLY not to the HS!!

Good point, my father in law (EX) had a paper on the fridge, with instructions on how to care for his animals (only a dog and cat at the time). about meds feeding characteristics etc.... he was in and out of the hospital for a bit there. I found it was a great help when I was caring for his pets.

We should have a buddy system.......like for instance......I have been away from the board at least 2 weeks now ( or it feels that way) but only because of work, what if I had a car accident or something sudden? not age related, who would know? Where would my pets go? Should I include pets.ca in a list of people to contact incase of a untimely demise? I have 8 cats and 3 dogs, family could care for a few but it is a little much for one person.

Gosh.....this thread really does have me thinking :(

chico2
March 12th, 2005, 07:58 AM
Thank's TM,a buddy system to help place the animals would be a good idea.
I know when we go on vacation,I make a list as long as the fridge on the cats habits etc..everyone think's I am a nut-case :D
Nice to see you back Iggette,have you seen Chico the coon???

melanie
March 13th, 2005, 02:46 PM
i am thinking i should set up instructions for charlie, i know my hubby can care for her to a certain extent, that is we are very close charlie and i and i understand her, not like anyone else could, that would be my only worry (and he always overfeeds her at breakfast if he does it, which isnt often sheesh :rolleyes: )

now this is going to sound morbid, but when i was younger it was jsut the girl and me. i always planned and had informed my family that if i died charlie would be put to sleep and buried in my arms, together forever is how i saw it and very egyptian, (romantic huh). but now hubby says he would never do such a thing even if i insisted as he loves charlie and if i died he would feel close to me with her (oh romantic again)

but in my family charlie is deeply loved and respected by everyone close to me, so she would always have love in her life, i think i would worry to much though that her emotional needs would not be met. but she is very lucky to have so many fans in the one clan and so am i.

a network system is a great idea, in my internet stamp club many of our members are around the 60-80yr mark. we had a problem with members dying or becoming sick and not knowing what happened (we trade alot and have auctions etc) and it was sad to find out they died and we had not been able to help the family etc (its a very charitable stamp club). so we developed a data base of our home phone numbers and addresses of the nearest and dearest, it is stored with the head of the group and is used in the event an active member goes missing for longer than 2months, then we contact the family and check on them. its not so important for our yougner memebers, yes things happen but it is the older ones we are concerned for.

a good idea non the less, and one worth thinking about, perahps with emails etc. and im glad to see so many of us love our babies so much, lucky cats and dogs :D

RAINGIRL- you have met david, well bugger me dead, that is jsut fantastic. yes i am a huge fan of his, and have been reading his stuff for years. last week he lectured in sydney but i found out too late and could not get there, i was so bummed. that saying i use is my favourite one and goes so far to explain the conservation and environmental attitudes of many, and it is sad. buit i truly believe in environmental education and that is where that saying has its true place, if we teach more, they will learn more, they will love more and hopefully conserve more. a friend used that saying when he prepared posters for a campaign to save the leather back turtles and it was really effective, it is so applicable.

david is a brillaint man, his msg is loud and clear and is becoming more respected by the main stream, you lucky duck, what an amazing experience and what an amazing person to meet, oh your a truly lucky duck in my books.

Iggette
March 13th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Thank's TM,a buddy system to help place the animals would be a good idea.
I know when we go on vacation,I make a list as long as the fridge on the cats habits etc..everyone think's I am a nut-case :D
Nice to see you back Iggette,have you seen Chico the coon???

Thanks, and yes I saw chico last week and fed him, I have been checking everyday as the weather had warmed up a bit but he went back to sleep I presume, he has a stash of dogfood (only thing that doesnt go bad) for when he awakes and when I check on him I always place some snow in a big bowl so he can quench his thirst if he has one otherwise water just turns into ice not very useful.
He let me give him a good scratch on the back while he was eating but I think he was very sleepy looking. Will keep you updated as the spring gets closer.

maddoxies
March 13th, 2005, 06:16 PM
As part of the adoption package from Rescue,I also give out a form to keep in your car, in case you are in an accident with your pets and you are unable to speak for them. Remember the post about Smooth recently ????

The form has basic info like, names, medications, etc. but also has instructions to board the animals, not take them to SPCA or HS and names a human contact (with phone number) who has agreed to take financial responsibility for boarding fees etc. (and for search fees, in case the animal has escaped the vehicle) and if the animal was injured in the accident, their vet info is there and the same human contact will assume financial responsibility for their treatment.

My sister cannot take my guys (grandchildren allergies) but she has been named in my will as the person assuming responsibility for them. Cars colide, planes crash, I am single, so I need to be sure my furbabies will be cared for.