Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Snookums In Charlottetown

con771
March 11th, 2005, 04:16 PM
I was browsing around looking for petstores on the east coast and I found this link.
Kinda scary.
http://www.corporatenarc.com/snookums.php

I was I bought my last dog at a pet store and now I'm afraid to buy from them.
Guess the local SPCA is the best option.

con771

Prin
March 11th, 2005, 04:29 PM
Shelters are ok but if you want to buy a "new" dog, there are hundreds of responsible, reputable breeders too. I'd rather everyone adopt instead of bringing a new dog on the market, but I can only make that choice for myself...

con771
March 11th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Yeah I guess you're right.

It's really hard to know who to buy from and where to buy. I guess a caring breeder will be more then willing to answer any questions you have as they care as much or more about the puppies then you do.
I was just shocked at the pet store story.

Guess it's all about the bottom line for some stores. Of course there has to be some good ones out there!
Right? :confused:

LavenderRott
March 11th, 2005, 05:01 PM
I read the story about the rottweiler puppy and I think I would go after the vet when I got done with the pet store! I have never heard of a dog getting bloody diarrhea from "dog food that was too hard". The pup never should have left the vet the first time.

Having said that, I can't imagine buying a puppy from an add on line. Yes, the breeder I would like to get my next puppy from lives across the country from me. No, I have never been to her house. BUT - I know several people who know her and her dogs are known in the show world. But to just pick out a puppy from a pet shop add is just beyond me.

Flyinby
March 11th, 2005, 05:05 PM
I bought my dog from Snookums and was totally unaware of the whole "puppy mill" situation at the store. I do remember that the conditions of the cages the animals were in were AWFUL...They were lying in their own poop. I mentioned this to the employee and she responed "Oh thanks for telling me, I must have missed that one." The floor of the pens were metal mesh (sort of) so that when the animal pooped or peed it would go right through. AWFUL... Then 2 years later we were hearing all of these stories about the store. Our dog, Kain, was advertised as a Husky collie mix...and said that he was brought in by a young couple whose dog just had puppies. It was a very smelly store...