Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Out of curiosity

wjranch
March 11th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Anyone know how I might tell if my pup is suffering separation anxiety or is he just being what he's supposed to be??
Pretty vague huh? LOL
Well, it's like this....he's Dobie and seems to NEED to be able to see me. Any Dobe breeders on this forum? Let me know if I should let him carry on and 'do his job' or if I should be working on separation anxiety. :D

I don't want to break this cycle if it's what he feels he needs to do to 'protect' his subjects...but, on the other hand...separation anxiety is a terrible thing to be going through for him. Do you see my dilemma??

MIA
March 11th, 2005, 12:43 PM
My dobe needs to know where we are at all times! They aren't called Velcro dogs for nothin' Ours is fine when we go out etc but when we are home she's with us where ever we are. :crazy:

raingirl
March 11th, 2005, 12:45 PM
my English bulldog is like that too. He is fine when we are out, but follows us everywhere when we are home (even to the bathroom!)

MIA
March 11th, 2005, 12:55 PM
(even to the bathroom!) ROFL I haven't gone to the bathroom alone in years!!!! If I shut the door they all sit out side of it, wondering when I will let them in!!!!!

wjranch
March 11th, 2005, 01:07 PM
This pup is kinda like that. I've never had a dog that would come near me, turn around , and back up till his tail touches me, then just stand there looking around...not at me! Almost like he's saying "okay, I know where you are, I can watch everything else now" He doesn't seem needy or anything... it's like his job or something. I love it! But, am I encouraging him to become a 'momma boy'? I'd like to know if he's guarding me out of instinct, or if he's a just a big suck! lol

i just had to add this one! He's so cute when he's snoring ;)

MIA
March 11th, 2005, 01:12 PM
My girl does the same thing, she will lean on me and watch the world go by.

Dobermans were bred to be with thier owners they were also bred to protect them, these are things they do.

My Dobe is very protective of us yet very sweet and affectionate, I also think at the younger ages they look for security in thier owners, if you were to push him away I think you would be giving the wrong impression.

They are giant sucks which is what I like. Dogs look to thier owners for leadership which is what one wants!

raingirl
March 11th, 2005, 04:20 PM
You know I was thinking about this thread today while walking around my apartment. I was cleaning out my potted plants, doing some cleaning, laundry, baked a cheesecake. The whole time Odin would get up, walk to where I was, and plop down on the floor. Then I would move, he would follow me, and plop down on the floor. Problem is, I was moving all day, and now he is sound asleep by my chair!!

Jackie467
March 11th, 2005, 04:41 PM
you have a beautiful dobie. I used to own dobies, i miss having one so much. I always noticed that my dobies would follow me around no matter where it was that I went. I had to let him in the shower with me or he would howl nonstop until i came out and i mean actully howl. and he actully got into the shower with you, we had a glass one so there was plenty of room. It amazes me when people are afraid of a doberman just because it's a doberman. My doberman was more friendly than my italian greyhound i have now, and yet Candi doesn't scare anyone :rolleyes:

Katherine1
March 11th, 2005, 07:24 PM
I love that sleeping picture. :love: Molly snores sometimes too. She follows me everywhere too and yes (like Odin) even to the bathroom. I used to shut the bathroom door but she would sit at the door and whine so I tried talking to her through the door LOL that only made her scratch at the door. Then I tried leaving it open just a bit and she pushes it open and comes in. Although she is affectionate to the rest of the family she doesn't seem to follow them around like she does me. If we are all in the livingroom watching TV and I get up for anything so does she. She is fine leaving her at home (doesn't happen often) most of the time she goes with me when I leave the house. :D She is probably spoiled and a suck but I love it. :D

luvmybeagles
March 11th, 2005, 08:07 PM
My beagle pup follows me everywhere, except the basement. She's scared of the steps.

The bathroom is a real issue right now. If I do manage to close the door before she makes it in, she claws at it until I open it. But as soon as she's in, and that door shuts behind her, she wants back out! I don't live alone, so leaving the door open while I'm in there isn't something I'm comfortable doing.

I swear she'd let me stand there and open and close the door for her all day. :D

chico2
March 11th, 2005, 10:19 PM
My Rocky(tabby cat)does the same with me,if he cannot be on my lap,he's never further away than a few feet,follows me from room to room and yes,even the bathroom.....it's kind of sweet though,I don't mind :love:

wjranch
March 11th, 2005, 11:56 PM
gotta tell ya'll, I wasn't expecting this when I started this thread. However, I am glad all of you have stopped to think about how your pet relates to you on a daily basis. :D makes me smile big

Love 'em like theyr'e leaving tomorrow!! They give so much to us in such a short time span it's almost incomprehensible to me.
Thanks to all who responded.... warmed my heart :grouphug: