Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Will a cat who sprays before he is netured still do so after he is neutured?

poohbear123
March 11th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Hi!

My niece has an almost year old cat he was neutured yesterday but he started spraying around the house a couple days before his operation. Will he still do this after he comes home? She is staying with my parents and they are not very happy finding places he has marked...like the shower curtain, my dads fav chair, a table....... Is there anything they can do to stop him or prevent him from doing this again? He is coming home from the vet today. Any info on this would be great. Thanks

mona_b
March 11th, 2005, 09:50 AM
The answer is no,he should not be spraying after his neuter... :)

To get the smell out I would suggest Natures Miracle.

Dahlia
March 11th, 2005, 11:06 AM
He might if he is already in the habit of spraying. But if he just started a couple of days before he was neuterd, then he probably won't.

Lucky Rescue
March 11th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Some will, some won't.

I"ve had a huge number of males cats, and all were neutered as adults who already sprayed. One was 5 years old. None ever sprayed again.

Cats who have a nervous or insecure personality may spray to surround themselves with their own scent, as this comforts them.

They may also spray if intact male cats are near the doors or windows outside.

Tell your niece to be patient. It takes a few weeks for all the testosterone to leave the cat's body. She must be gentle with him, as it's not his fault he wasn't neutered when he should have been.

meowzart
March 11th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Get some Feliway - either spray or diffuser - it will help 'calm' things down and prevent the habit.

poohbear123
March 11th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Thanks for your replies. I know he should have been neutured sooner but she didnt have the money then. I thought that most cats dont spray after, but I dont have a cat and have no experience with this issue. Anyways I will keep you posted on how he is doing. He is a wonderful cat and very good with children and people in general and he just started spraying recently so I thought I would throw out the question to all of you thanks again.

Copper'sMom
March 11th, 2005, 02:30 PM
I took in a stray this past winter ( 3-5 years old) and had him neutered before he came into my home. When I picked him up from the vet and brought him home, he DID spray. When I couldn't watch him every second, he stayed in a large dog crate in the house. He was completely content in there :) !! I let him out everyday and watched him like a hawk. He sprayed about 3 or 4 times(keep in mind I have 3 other cats!!!) About 4 days later, he was out of the crate for good!! It also took about a week for the strong odour from his urine to subside. I've had him for a few months now and all is well!!