Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How do I fix whiskers?

Prin
March 10th, 2005, 09:40 PM
This may sound trivial but my dogs play with other dogs a lot and break their whiskers off. The broken whiskers are really thick and hard and get really sharp and actually get stuck in our arms in little stabs... I was wondering what to do with them. Pulling them out seems inhumane but waiting for them to fall out is takes forever. I've tried filing them but it seems I just sharpen them even more... If you cut them shorter, they just get thicker and sharper.

Anybody dealt with this? I just got poked hard while I was posting and thought, why not ask you guys?

raingirl
March 11th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Hmm...I don't know...my dogs whiskers are thin...

Prin
March 11th, 2005, 03:41 PM
I was starting to wonder if anyone was going to answer.

That's the thing though- they are so thick that the thought of pulling them out just makes me cringe. The root is so BIG... I don't know. It's especially the little tuft of whiskers at the base of the cheek (that's what she rubs us with and it hurts), but there are a couple of broken ones on her muzzle too.

maddoxies
March 11th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Help, I forget what breed you have.

I had to trim my girl's whiskers for the show ring (ok, did not HAVE to, but it was preferred). I little trim with scissors was all I did for my golden.

Maybe ask a groomer what can be done???

Prin
March 11th, 2005, 03:47 PM
This is the best pic I could find of her whiskers (it's a visious picture...) I don't know if it's not detailed enough, but there is one on her cheek( the little tuft closest to her ear in the pic), beside the long one that is about 1 cm long and that's the pokiest. You can tell my the long one though, how thick they are (I mean her head is pretty little..) You can also see how thick they are on my boyfriend's arm. The thing is, they taper off and get super thin but when they get cut, that's when they're thick and prickly...

Prin
March 11th, 2005, 03:48 PM
(oh and ya, she is missing a front tooth after a snowball chasing collision...)

Prin
March 11th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Ya but when I cut them they get thicker and thicker as you get closer to the skin and they get pricklier with the thickness- -they don't bend when they hit your skin, they just go through.

Prin
March 12th, 2005, 02:11 AM
Really? Doesn't anyone know what to do (without having to see a groomer- I haven't needed one yet...)? I guess the only thing I can do is pull them out (cringe)... There are only three or four bad ones...

Puppyluv
November 11th, 2005, 08:51 PM
Prin, I know this is old, but did you ever find a solution? The whiskers on Layla's ring worm scar have broken and are thicker than normal (they're about twice as thick as usual) and thus hurt me a lot...

Prin
November 11th, 2005, 08:57 PM
LOL LOL No I didn't. I think everybody thought this was trivial at the time, but it's so true eh? They poke when they're broken. Not that I'm happy about the ring worm (I'm not) but I am glad somebody else validated my thread.:D Thanks to Raingirl and Goldengirl for answering the original post though. :)

I can say for sure that 8 months later (i.e. right now), they have all grown back...

Puppyluv
November 11th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Hmm ok, I guess I'll just have to put up with the scratching until they grow out. When I was doing the search, I doubted that anyone would have brought it up, because to those who have fine-whiskered dogs, it does seem pretty trivial/petty/aesthetic, but I can always count on your thousands of posts to cover my queries:D

Actually, her scarring is pretty bad, sort of tumour-like, so it may have to be cut out anyways, which will just all-out remove the whisker problem.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 11th, 2005, 10:07 PM
I actually didnt think Joey had whiskers as I never noticed them. I just went to check and hes two little ones one on each side.

I have heard though that you should never cut a cats whiskers is this true.

Prin
November 12th, 2005, 12:42 AM
Aww poor Layla. Her ring worm got really serious then? Poor doggy. Scar tissue on doggies is just areas where there is no hair to get stuck to your lips when you kiss them...

jessi76
November 14th, 2005, 02:58 PM
I have heard though that you should never cut a cats whiskers is this true.

I'm fairly certain a cat's whiskers are directly proportional to the widest part of their body - helping them judge what they can and cannot fit through, under, between, etc... so I would assume that cutting them would throw this sense off. I really don't understand why anyone would want to cut the whiskers. My cats shed their whiskers regularly, I find them all over the house.