Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Have to leave puppy alone for one day- suggestions?

Dahlia
March 10th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Next week dh has an all day sedation dentistry appointment and it's an hour and a half away from home, and of course I will have to drive him. We will have to leave Sophie home alone that day. She's only 9 wks old. What should I do? I don't want to leave her in her crate because we will have to leave at 5:30am and I don't know what time we'll be home. If I put her in the kitchen I would have to get an extra wide baby gate, which costs around $100. I guess I could put her in one of the bathrooms or the laundry room, but it just seems so isolated.

My brother in law can come at lunch time and feed her and take her out but I know she'll have to go potty before then. Shoud I get a pee pee pad for her, or would she even use it since she's never been taught to? I figure I'll leave the tv or radio on so it's at least not so quiet, and give her her toys to play with.

Any other suggestions?

Lucky Rescue
March 10th, 2005, 09:03 PM
Is anyone home at your brother in law's place who could take her for the day?

I don't suggest putting her in a small room with the door closed. This is very stressful to most dogs. Do you have a baby gate to put up in the bathroom door? You'll need a gate anyway, so may as well get it now. They are around 30$ - 40$ or so at Walmart.

I would cover the floor with newspapers.

luvmybeagles
March 10th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Yes, I agree. If you can't find someone who will watch her for you, I'd confine her to either the kitchen or the bathroom. A baby gate is your best bet, dogs go a little nuts if confined to a room with the door closed. I guess they feel trapped.

No matter which room you choose, puppy-proof it to the extreme. Being home alone several hours may cause her to get extremely bored, so she may take interest in things she's never touched when you're home. You'd be amazed the things puppies will get into and play with that you would never dream they'd want to touch. I left my pup in the kitchen one time, and came home to find all of my canned goods out of the cupboard and all over the floor.

Also look for wires, electrical cords, telephone wires, anything whatsoever that she might be able to reach. You've probably already done this anyhow, but look for the obscure ones, things you've plugged in recently that you may have forgotten about. If choosing the bathroom, I'd pull the toilet paper off of the roller and put it up out of reach. (Either that or she probably will shred it). Do you have curtains or blinds that she can reach? Also kitchen towels and potholders are fun to chew on. The shower curtain is a lovely toy. Look for anything you think she might grab and chew.

She may also suffer a little seperation anxiety and chewing up stuff may make her feel better. I'd put her crate, (with door open) in the room with her as well as her toys, some food, and plenty of water. Put something in her bed that has your scent on it. Leaving the TV or radio on is a good idea as well.

Your pup may suffer a little emotionally, but she will survive the experience. Just be prepared to give her plenty of love and attention when you get home. ;)

Dahlia
March 10th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Duh, I didn't think about putting the baby gate on the bathroom or laundry room. I could do that. I have one that I keep across the hallway right now to keep her from going down the hall and into the bedrooms. I don't want any little presents under the beds. I need to get one of the extra wide gates to partition off the kitchen, but they're so expensive. It's a 7 ft wide opening. So is the opening between the living room and dining room.

I might just go ahead and get one because she's used to spending time in the kitchen and she never goes in the bathrooms. I'll need it for the baby anyway since he's starting to crawl now. Also the kitchen is a lot bigger and more open to the rest of the house. Even if we had her gated in there, it wouldn't seem so claustrophobic. And I was going to put her crate in there. She actually likes it now and goes in there on her own at night! Yaaay Sophie!!!

She disappears at around 8 pm and last night I looked all over for her and finally found her in her crate. Tonight she had her mat pulled out of the crate and was sleeping on it on the floor, but I put it back in the crate and she crawled right in. She's such a good girl.

Gazoo
March 10th, 2005, 10:28 PM
I would have to get an extra wide baby gate, which costs around $100. I guess I could put her in one of the bathrooms or the laundry room, but it just seems so isolated.

?

A sheet of plywood is cheaper than a babygate ;)

Sneaky2006
March 10th, 2005, 11:10 PM
:p It's a 7 ft wide opening. So is the opening between the living room and dining room. Ours is the same way! Who the heck builds these houses anyway!

Dahlia
March 11th, 2005, 08:14 AM
I don't know Sneaky, it looks nice to have everything so open, but it's a pain in the butt when you need to close it off.

Princesss04
March 11th, 2005, 09:36 AM
What if you open up her crate and sit it in front of the bathroom door. So that way the door is blocked and she can not get out but she will not feel as trapped. Because right there will be her crate and not the door. Just a thought. :D

Dahlia
March 11th, 2005, 10:17 AM
her crate is too small to block the door. I have a small baby gate that I could put there, though.

maddoxies
March 11th, 2005, 10:30 AM
I used a sheet of MDF (less flex in it that plywood). I stapled some spare carpet to one side, to protect the door frame and put a cupboard handle on the other side to make it easier to move around (use the same sheet as a ramp for elderly dog to get into van). My golden respects the board, but you might have to put a hook on the board and eyes on the door frame.

raingirl
March 11th, 2005, 11:48 AM
I know what you mean about the wide halls!! We bought 2 baby gates (only $25 each at Zellers) and found out they were about an inch too small! We looked and looked, and no one makes any baby gates wider than that. Now we have a travel crate on it's side, so it's about 4 feet tall, and it is against one wall, and the baby gate works. And we put all the stuff Odin isn't allowed to touch on top of it.

maddoxies
March 11th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Raingirl, that one is easier to fix. Get a couple of pieces of 1x2 (or whatever thickness you need) and put them up against the door frame and then fit the gates. Two pieces will allow you to have the gates extended to just less that their full length and give them a bit more stability.

Dahlia
March 11th, 2005, 12:13 PM
They make wide ones that go up to 8 ft and you have to permanently fasten them in place. I think they usually have a door on them that swings open so you can walk through. I saw them in the One Step Ahead (baby stuff) catalog but they're over $100. I haven't found any in the stores, Wal Mart carries them but they're always out. I even looked on e-bay thinking I might find one cheap but they're still over $100. I have a 7 month old who is just starting to crawl and I want to be able to keep him out of the kitchen so he can't get into the dog's food and water bowls. So I guess I'm going to have to break down and spend the money. I would do the MDF thing but dh is too worried about how everything looks so he'd rather fork over the cash for the gate. I'm going to do some more shopping online and see what I can find. Maybe we'll check Baby Depot this weekend and see if they have any. Their prices are usually pretty good. Too bad they're an hour away. :(

Dahlia
March 11th, 2005, 12:52 PM
AAAGGGHH!! Now I have another dilemma. All the gates that extend out that far are made of wooden slats that are about 2 1/2 inches apart. She could get stuck in that, and it doesn't set right on the floor either, it's high enough where she might be able to get her head stuck underneath it. Believe me, she can fit through some pretty tight spaces. I could've sworn I saw some in the catalog that were hard plastic mesh, but I guess not. Maybe I could get one and cover it with hardware cloth until she's bigger. Or a sheet wrapped around it might even work. Well, back to shopping...

Dahlia
March 12th, 2005, 09:43 AM
I think we've decided to take her with us. Dh's office is near where he's having his teeth done, and he said I could hang out there with Sophie. I guess everyone at work is dying to see her. I've e-mailed them pictures, but they want to see the real deal. There's grass out back there where I can walk her, and I'll be taking her crate.

I did bid on a baby gate on e-bay that will block off my kitchen, so hopefully I'll get it. If not I'll keep shopping. That way I'll have it next time. I would feel more comfortable having her in the kitchen, since she's used to that place, than one of the bathrooms.