Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can anyone suggest how to get rid of mites?

KRMershon
March 10th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Hello,

I did a stupid thing and gave my hamster hay to make a nest out of. I think he may have gotten mites from the hay and nothing I do seems to get completely rid of them. They seem to live in his skin, but im not sure. Two of my cats are now ripping out their fur but the others are fine. It started out with one cat, took him to the vets and the vet tested for thyroid and said he was chewing because of the the thyroid. But then the other cat started chewing herself. Could they both have thyroid problems? and first cat has been on meds for 2 months and is still chewing. These two are the only cats that go into my basement also. Could they be allergic? maybe bugs from hamster? If anyone has any advice for either cats or hamster or both please advise. I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks,

Karen

Dahlia
March 10th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Not sure about Hampsters but on the farm we used to have to deal with chicken mites and there was this dust (I don't remember the name of it) that we would dust them with to get rid of the mites. It also worked for fleas on the dogs and cats. We got it at the farm supply store but I'm sure you could ask your local pet supply store.

goldenblaze
March 10th, 2005, 02:41 PM
If you cats now have mites they will need to be treated with meds from your vet...they would go away. Sounds like Sarcoptic mites... common. Give the cats some meds to help with itching and see you Vet....get rid of hay, clean and wash everything in hot water..bedding and so on. You can get them too.. so don't wait.

KRMershon
March 10th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the advice! I really do appreciate it.

Karen