Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Animal Control at my door this morning!

Sneaky2006
March 10th, 2005, 01:01 PM
I am so ticked off I could spit nails!
Animal control came to my house this morning after getting a complaint call (apparently the second one, from the same person). The person who called said we leave Yukon outside 24/7! I can't believe this. Besides walks, he's out for a total of 20-30 minutes all day or night... why would this person lie about it? On really cold days he pees faster than lightening and he's back at the door in 3.2 seconds!
It's really scaring me, they obviously know we don't do what they're accusing us of, but reported us anyway... what else will they do and what are they trying to accomplish???? Is this a breed hating thing??? I don't know what else it could be, but I'm scared, worried, upset and pissed all at the same time. :confused:

The officer said he was at our house once before, after the first call came in, to investigate and sure enough he was not outside, just like he wasn't when he came today.
The guy was so nice, and actually seemed shocked when Yukon greeted him at the door.
What can happen if these people keep complaining? Am I going to have animal control here every other week or will they tell them to stop calling?

My first thought was that they have the wrong house because there is a dog down the street from us that is out a lot, not 24/7 (I don't think) but still a lot. I mentioned this to the officer but he said the person described Yukon to a T. We have a complete 6ft high privacy fence... so whoever this is, is getting awfully close and looking in our yard when he is out for more than 5 minutes.
What do I do now??? :sad:

Dahlia
March 10th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Do you know who is calling them? I sometimes like to be a b***h, especially if someone does something like that to me, so if I were you and knew who it was, I would go over and talk to them. Even if they deny it, they will still know that you're on to them. With him being a pit bull, my guess would be that it's a breed thing and they're afraid that he might get out and hurt them, so they're trying to get him picked up. That sucks. If you have other neighbors who know that the dog is not out 24/7 you might need them to back you if this continues.

Good luck to you! Keep us informed.

Dukieboy
March 10th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Most Animal Services keep records so if this person continues to call they will eventually advise them that they have investigated and that the "file" is closed. I doubt very much after having been to your house twice and not finding the dog outside and actually seeing the dog who is obviously well taken care of, they will come again.

sammiec
March 10th, 2005, 01:31 PM
I'm really sorry that this is happening to you. I hope that things can get sorted out!! (((HUGS)))

Some people just have too much time on their hands. My suggestion would be to go outside with Yukon for the next little while, and stay with him. I personally would do this anyway because (if I had a back yard) I would be worried about people trying to poison my dog... I am a worrier like that.

The AC probably can't tell you which neighbour would be complaining.. too bad....

You know that you're doing nothing wrong and if AC can't provide any proof that their is animal neglect and that he is alone outside all day, there is nothing they can do. It's annoying that they call and show up.. but at least you KNOW that Yukon is okay and they can obviously tell that he's not chain up and all alone when he's there to great them at the door!!!

Hopefully nothing comes of this... but I would stay with him outside and not leave him out for a couple minutes. I mean it could be something as stupid as you put him out in the morning while they are home still, and then he is out again when they get home.. assuming that he's out all the time!!

I really hope it works out for you!!

Sneaky2006
March 10th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the replies guys!

We really don't talk to our neighbors, just hi and bye in passing, so I don't think any would back us up. Besides, I don't know for sure who complained.

I have a funny feeling it's the neighbor closest to us, connected twin, because they can see in our yard from their deck without actually having to come up to the fence, so they would know what he looks like to be able to describe him.
It's a couple who live there with 2 grown girls, the wife is home all day so I know she KNOWS he's not out all day. This really urks me! I just hope they don't do anything stupid...er!

Lucky Rescue
March 10th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Wow, sorry this happened.

Personally I would rather have people report suspected abuse than not, even if it turns out to be a false alarm.

Of course if someone is doing this to be malicious, that's a whole other thing. :mad:

It could someone genuinely concerned. I know that if someone passed my house at 9:00 a.m. then again at 4:30 p.m. they would likely see Chloe out on her cable, even in this minus 30 weather, and it might very look as though she is out there all day. Of course, she is out for about 3 minutes tops.:p

I would not be offended if someone reported me out of real concern. I would appreciate knowing that people care!

Sneaky2006
March 10th, 2005, 01:59 PM
I just don't understand how it could be real concern if they're not home all day to see if he's out or not (although I do think it's someone who IS home all day). Telling animal control that he's out 24/7 does not mean they see him out when they leave and when they get home. 24/7 means all the time, all night and overnight too, when they are home. I don't get it.

Something has been bothering me though... when the officer saw him he said he shows no signs of abuse, whatsoever... so what does that mean?? Something tells me that the call wasn't just about being outside all the time.

Dahlia
March 10th, 2005, 02:08 PM
He probably meant that being out 24/7 in -30 degree weather is a form of abuse and if he had been left out like that he would look pretty haggard. Also, they probably thought that if you would leave your dog out like that you probably wouldn't be above abusing them, too.

Prin
March 10th, 2005, 02:13 PM
We got screamed at once while walking by one of those old ladies' houses... She is home all day and knew we never go there but nonetheless she came out screaming that we never pick up after our dog.

These old ladies who stay home all day all alone while the household is out to work or school, look for negative attention because they aren't getting any positive attention. Maybe if you give her some positive attention, she'll stop acting up. (Dog psycology applies everywhere!!) Ask her if she wants to play ball or have a cookie or something...

It just really sucks. We thought about reporting our neighbor because his dog is home alone for 16 hours/day and last summer he fell down the stairs and broke his hip and they didn't do anything about it (now his leg is all atrophied). Our vet told us not to report them because then they could report us in retaliation and start a bunch of trouble...

Sneaky2006
March 10th, 2005, 02:19 PM
I thought I would post a pic of him OUTSIDE! :D
I'm starting to feel better about this. I should've never felt worried to begin with, I know we aren't doing anything wrong and his face says so!

This is what he does when he's done doing his business. He stares at the door!

Prin
March 10th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Oooohhh he's a pitty! That's why the old lady is overreacting. She just doesn't want a pitty in her neighborhood!! Stereotypes...

He's a cute guy though...He almost has a black moustache... Or is it a soul patch? My dad's jack has a similar luigi moustache.

Dahlia
March 10th, 2005, 02:26 PM
He's too cute. That's what Sophie does, too. At first she would stop at the bottom of the back porch steps and put her front paws on the step waiting for me to carry her in. But in just a week she has learned to climb up them. It's cute because each step is taller than she is.

Princesss04
March 10th, 2005, 02:28 PM
He looks like he is really being abused. LOL I think I will call right now. You better go give that cute face a treat right now or I am reporting you for mistreating a animal that is so cute and deserves a treat. LOL :D

twodogsandacat
March 10th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Did animal control leave any paper work behind to indicate they didn't find a problem? This can be used to prove that somebody is attempting to harrass you if these calls continue to come.

Schwinn
March 10th, 2005, 02:41 PM
I wouldn't be too concerned about trying to guess who it was. If you're anything like me, you'll get yourself all worked up, and it may not even be them. I would ask animal control if they could tell you, or even discuss with them that you think this is someone with another issue besides concern for your dog's welfare. Find out what they will be doing about any further complaints. And I agree with Twodogsandacat, if you can get some sort of report, that would help too. Oh, and I'd be out playing loudly as much as possible, just because I know it would irk whoever is complaining. But then I'm passive aggressive that way...

(Maybe even get a nice doggie shirt that says, "Bite Me!", "Get a Life", or "MYOB".)

Dukieboy
March 10th, 2005, 02:41 PM
If you have a Pitty, in this climate of hatred and fear that bryant has whipped up at least one of your neighbours is going to call Animal Services. The fear and hatred run deep and people feel justified in maybe twisting the truth a little. I heard two of my neighbours out talking one night, from my front window, on the street and the one said he feared for his dog(because of Duke) and the other replied "Your dog, what about my son?" It is insane. Duke has never shown any kind of aggression to anyone. To me he looks so sweet, to some others they really do believe he is a ticking time bomb.

sammiec
March 10th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Dukieboy, MB can't get her.. she's in the states. But there is fear of pit bulls there too! :sad:

Princesss04
March 10th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Oh I don't know that does look like a face that could do major damage. LOL I mean licking you to death damage. LOL He is so cute. I love seeing pictures of him. :D I can not get over how big he has gotten. He was so tiny. :D

Sneaky2006
March 10th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the compliments! Your guy is really cute too Dukie!

I did not get any paperwork from the AC officer, he did write something down as he was leaving but that's all I know.
He said he would call as a follow up so I can ask for a copy of the report then.

The shirt sounds like a good idea! Wouldn't males pee on a shirt though?? He still squats!

Shamrock
March 10th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Aww.. what great pics! Lovely dogs, both!

I'm sorry you had to go through this, and can understand how upsetting this would be intially. Its disturbing - you cant help but wonder about the 'who and the why"? I know I would. :confused:
It "could be" but is not necessarily done out of malicious intent to cause trouble, a busybody with way too much time on their hands, or just an animal lover who firmly believes in erring on the side of caution.
Whatever their motives, investigated twice, I'm sure the matter will be dropped now and permanently.

My adult daughter had two large dogs( one now deceased) that received tons of excercise - likely more than many.
But -they live in a townhouse complex - she was disturbed that on two occassions, neighbours said how 'sorry" they felt for her dogs... "cooped up" in the small back area where they were sometimes kept during the day.
She fretted at first.. did the neighbours think they were neglecting their dogs excercise needs? They never saw her "walk" the dogs,that was true.

What others couldnt know was that they have horses and acreage too. Twice a day, every day of the year, the dogs went there with her, ran around to their hearts content- played, romped and ran together - all the doggie things.
People who are merely observers can jump to conclusions - sometimes the wrong ones.
My daughter was offended ( and angry at first) that they sought to chastize her without knowing the full story.
Still, the difference between doing what you feel is right as a concerned petlover, and butting in to other's business may sometimes be dependent on what side of the issue you find yourself on..
:ca:

Prin
March 10th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Not if you tie a knot in the back and keep the bottom tight...

sammiec
March 10th, 2005, 03:27 PM
The shirt sounds like a good idea! Wouldn't males pee on a shirt though?? He still squats!

They make dog shirts! LMAO!

http://www.chinpuppies.com/10828583_F_tn.jpeg http://www.chinpuppies.com/110_3.jpg

They fit so that the dog doesn't pee on them!

Sneaky2006
March 10th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Hmmm... gonna look into one!

wjranch
March 10th, 2005, 03:52 PM
If the nieghbor was so concerned about the welfare of this particular dog, why not lean over the balcony and ASK the owner?? That really should be the first course of action on behalf of that poor abused dog ;) If nothing changed and they still feel the animal is being mistreated, Then call animal control. I think the person who called is attempting to create a 'paper trail'. The beginning of the end for your Pittie, if they can get away with it..... here's what I would do...
Get ahold of animal control - get a copy of the report from them (blank out the complaintant's names that's fine)
Go to your vet - get a written statement from him regarding the health of your dog, and anything else he is willing to comment on..especially temperment of the dog!
Now, for the really important part.... train your dog for FOOD REFUSAL.

If this relatively benign method of persecuting you and your dog does'nt work, who knows how far some people can go? There have been dogs poisoned for similar reasons, or nieghborly disputes, etc.. I think we will see much more of this type of thing in the coming months and once this stupid law is enacted, we'll see even worse! Ignorant vigilantees believing they're saving the innocent by taking action... hmmm that sounds just like Micheal Bryant! :mad:

chico2
March 10th, 2005, 04:04 PM
Sneaky,I am sorry about what happened,but I am sure the AC has more important things to do than bother you any more,Yukon is obviously well taken care of and the AC are not stupid,just had to follow up on a complaint.
I happen to be one of those"older women"sitting at home,although I very seldom sit :D I do however know every animal in my neighborhood,dogs/cats and have on occasions called HS,but with very good grounds....Dobie-puppy tied out in the sun,no water no food....but first I went in to the backyard and gave him water and untangled him,since he had gotten tangled.
Also one neighbor kept a Westhighland Terrier,tied in the garage 24/7,a beautiful little white dog,but before I called HS I talked to the owners and the more or less told me to F..off,so I called HS and they have the dog no more.
My English neighbor complained to the city because I have bird-feeders and because leafs from my tress fall into her tree-less backyard,now she needs to get a life!!!and she got nowhere,it is not against any law to have birdfeeders,on the contrary!

Karin
March 10th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Animal Control officers get really weary & tired of people wasting their time with useless complaints, they do have better things to do.
Be on guard, you know you are within your rights and you have a nosey, pesty neighbor. If you can do, get copies of the complaints. I do not know how it works in Canada but you should be able to have a copy somewhat.
After so many complaints, AC ends up flagging the caller. It's the "crying wolf" syndrome...Let 'em complain...they will burn themselves out.
I would not change a thing except being more aware of your surroundings and neighbors.

Sneaky2006
March 10th, 2005, 06:08 PM
That's exactly what I said WJ, why didn't they ask me if they were concerned?? That's why I think it was because of his breed, they know he's not out all the time, they've got to know that.

Chico, I know you would not have complained unless you've had good reason.
While I was living with my mom, we called on a few people as well. One time was when a neighbor had this tiny puppy tied out in the yard all day and he would cry all night long at the door to go in, he tried numerous times to jump the broken fence from the steps to get out and nearly hung himself, we had to get him unhooked every time we saw it. That dog got taken away pretty quick after we called. Another we called on was just tied outside, never saw anyone, and this wasn't just seeing him in the morning then at night, this actually was all the time, the owner obviously didn't know how to pick up poo either cause the dog was always laying in it. :sad:

Karin, I hope they are done and don't keep doing it. I know we didn't do anything wrong but I don't want a record of this... just feels dirty. :(
And I'm in the states too, I'm sure I'll be able to get a copy of the report.

Lucky Rescue
March 10th, 2005, 07:56 PM
I dunno....Yukon looks kinda abused to me. Is he getting enough treats?:D

Neighbours...*sigh*http://www.gape.org/sonce/svetpogovorov/vzivo/chat/images/smilies/smile9.gif

Karin
March 10th, 2005, 08:38 PM
[QUOTE=LuckyRescue]I dunno....Yukon looks kinda abused to me. Is he getting enough treats?:D

Neighbours...*sigh*http://www.gape.org/sonce/svetpogovorov/vzivo/chat/images/smilies/smile9.gif[/QUOTE

*snort*

*cleaning screen*

LMSAO Lucky Rescue...Please warn me next time!

omg...too funny!

Sneaky2006
March 10th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Ha! Enough treats...besides his 'regular' treats... he can't sit still to save his life, unless we're eating potato chips, he will not move! And I have to give him some :( I can't help it.

I really hope this wasn't a hate thing, he is the sweetest dog ever. I clipped his nails today and he yelped at every single one of them while licking my hand :(

Catt31
March 11th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Ha! Enough treats...besides his 'regular' treats... he can't sit still to save his life, unless we're eating potato chips, he will not move! And I have to give him some :( I can't help it. :(

I'm like that with Brick and Popcorn!!! He looks at you with those EYES!!! Can't resist!!

Sneaky, I'm sorry this is happening to you and Yukon - people can be so cruel and heartless!!! I've had several people make comments and shy away from Brick ....and he is a big mush ball too!!! He's too friendly - if that's a fault, I guess he's guilty!!! Yukon looks the same - too dang friendly!! Maybe your neighbour is jealous!!!! :grouphug:

melanie
March 11th, 2005, 03:25 PM
well helloo handsome :D :D what a looker hey, not to bad on the old eyes that one :D

i cant suggest much, its hard to deal with. but i thought perhaps if you can, record all his actions for a couple of days, eg, walk at 7am till 8am, outside from 9am-10pm etc. that way you can show the ranger if he comes back again.

and hey, you know your in the right 100% so dont be scared of some simple minded crappy person that lives next door. and dont talk to that cow of a neighbor either :evil:

and jsut know the ranger will know the truth, he jsut needs to meet your baby and he knew, so not to much opanic, just be careful to monitor the situation, your neighbor may not like the breed and be looking for trouble.

good luck spunky chick :D

Copper'sMom
March 11th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Sneaky........................I LOVE THAT FACE!!!!! :love: That's a great pic!!

Sneaky2006
March 11th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Thanks guys! Yukon says thanks too! :love: :love:
He is really a mush!

And Mel, my sister thought of the log too, I think it's a good idea.

Now I'm just wondering how much Yukon is going to bother them in spring and fall, and summer... we're out all day swimming and stuff. How horrible we are. :p

Catt31
March 12th, 2005, 08:13 AM
What??? Have fun??? Are you out of your mind?? You're not allowed to have fun in your own yard!!! That's absurd!!!! :rolleyes:

LMAO

chico2
March 12th, 2005, 08:24 AM
Sneaky,I would not worry about having fun in the summer,my house can get pretty wild in the summer,happens when you have a pool and it's not against any by-law as long as it's not after 11pm.
This person is just plain miserable,I know my one neighbor is watching behind the drapes,as I fill my birdfeeders and probably think's I am weird for taking my cats out in any weather and being out with them.Her own cat died from poisoning(outdoor cat)and she actually warned me about that,but mine are not leaving my back-yard.
She also complained about another neighbors 3 small kids and of course little Bailey's barking,the cocker I dog-walk,but she got nowhere with those complaints.

Sneaky2006
March 12th, 2005, 08:35 AM
What??? Have fun??? Are you out of your mind?? You're not allowed to have fun in your own yard!!! That's absurd!!!! :rolleyes:

LMAO HA! And we do have fun! :D and it's not against any by-law as long as it's not after 11pm. Well chico, it may go past 11pm, but then it's more of a quiet, private party... ;)

lilith_rizel
March 12th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Sneaky, You always invest in a home security camera system to go out in the back yard, and record what all happens out there. Not only will it most definatly prove that Yukon isn't outside much, but it will also let you know if someone comes into your yard, and let you know what they are doing there. James and I are going to get one for Cano. We decided to do that after the what the neighborhood kids did to him....

Karin
March 12th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Sneaky, You always invest in a home security camera system to go out in the back yard, and record what all happens out there. Not only will it most definatly prove that Yukon isn't outside much, but it will also let you know if someone comes into your yard, and let you know what they are doing there. James and I are going to get one for Cano. We decided to do that after the what the neighborhood kids did to him....

Great idea! You can do this inexpensively by going to Radio Shack or other distributors. Many people now have "nanny cams" for when the kids are left with babysitters..I had them myself a few years back. You can get a cam to record to tape while you are away....it is very easy. And entertaining to see just what your neighbor does while you are gone.

Prin
March 12th, 2005, 11:12 PM
Man, neighbors are so much trouble. I'd be pretty miffed if I had to record my doggies' every move because of one MYOB-challenged woman.

Sneaky2006
March 13th, 2005, 08:38 AM
That does not sound like a bad idea... just wondering how inexpensive it is, definitely gonna look into it.Man, neighbors are so much trouble. I'd be pretty miffed if I had to record my doggies' every move because of one MYOB-challenged woman.I should so put that on a t-shirt and have it sent to her house... lol, myob challenged.

Iggette
March 14th, 2005, 04:13 AM
Sneaky, sorry your having a hard time with this, I hope you have heard the last of it. But in your situation I would do what wjranch said and create a paper trail of your own to protect yourself if need be. I would also try to get to know the neighbours a bit better, don't have to have them for dinner but a little casual talk and let them get to know your pup a little better so they know he is a good and gentle guy .....so when the neighbours stand around and gossip they can gossip about how your boy is a real sweety.
My daughter has 2 pit mixes, she has had no problem so far but has put in an offer for a house in a small community, I hope she doesn't have problems like this to look forward to :(

Sneaky2006
March 14th, 2005, 10:12 AM
I really don't like pointing fingers, but I really think it is the one right next door to me and the funny part is they don't act like they don't like us.
We really don't talk much besides hi and bye, but during the summer we mow each others grass every other week, and my husband dug out his truck in the snow just a month ago! And she shovelled our steps and walk way out front. I don't know anymore.
I would really love to get a surveillance camera but I don't think that is in our budget right now, we would need two cameras because our yard goes around the side of the house all the way to the front. So I guess a log is the only thing I can do for now.

Daizy
March 14th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Just an idea .. have you thought of asking them 'innocently' so they don't think you think it's them that someone has reported you re: your dog and would they keep an eye out if they see anyone snooping around and let you know, as you'd like to talk to the person that reported you and discuss this civilly! At worse this will make them realise if it is them that you might discover it was them (and who likes confrontations) or it might open up a disccusion about how you don't mistreat your dog etc. etc.