Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is it me?

twinmommy
March 9th, 2005, 08:27 PM
O.k. so here's me happily lost in babyland, with a question for all of you moms.

My kids are great, happy, normal (well, they're MY kids so as normal as can be!! ;) and we have full days, but we are still not sleeping through the night.

I have tried many strategies, and NO I will not let them "cry it out". My question doesn't even pertain to this, so don't even go there. :D I just state this so that you know that we are sleep deprived and would do A LOT to get a good night's sleep.

We have a small "window" of oppourtunity to get out after our lunch which finishes around 2. Before that is naptime--a 2 hour block from 11-1 p.m. A sit down dinner after 5:30 doesn't work either because they wind down starting with bath..etc.etc.

We miss a lot of family functions on the weekends because of this "schedule". I won't deviate from it, unless the girls do accidently, because when I do, I pay for it dearly---IN SLEEP!!

We CAN manage a breakfast "date" or a late lunch, or a reallly early dinner.
Point is, I love my life right now and couldn't care less about brunches,dinners and the like. In my opinion, they could be a little more compassionate to my kids sched. They did this too...and it passes.. all too fast. :(

My question is...am I missing something here? Do you guys have magic secrets with your kids? Or have you simply found more hours in the day? Or do you just attend everything and say "to heck with it" and have ballistic kids?

a,c and e??

none of the above??
Sorry for the length of this, just had to vent a bit.

BMDLuver
March 9th, 2005, 08:35 PM
We rarely do family functions or organized meals etc.. I figure I am doing well if I can make it through the day with no one seriously injured, the kids reasonably clean and bed by 10pm. A nap is amazing if the little critters will comply so I can catch up on minimal cleaning. I just figure that the amount of work to lug two little one's out to someone's for a lunch our dinner is a 4 hour project before I even leave so forget it, I'll catch you when they are starting school, lol. :thumbs up

twinmommy
March 9th, 2005, 08:49 PM
hee hee hee, a coffee is always cool!!

I knew YOU'd probably understand!! Good to know that I'm not losin' it!!
except I stopped cleaning during naps a looong time ago because it interferes with my time that I come here and yap.

gotta have priorites!!

p.s. coffee next week? I'll pm ya :)

Lizzie
March 9th, 2005, 08:50 PM
I don't have kids myself, but I was a kid and had a mom who went through this so I'll offer my opinion if you don't mind!

Personally, from what I have learned, there is no decision to make. These are your beautiful babies, and they love you, need you, and want you to be with them. When they are all grown up you will thank yourself, and they will thank you, for helping them turn into amazing people. Never under estimate the value in your being there at bed time, nap time, lunch time and basically every other time you can be.

While it is completely understandable, and human, that mothers and fathers can't always be there--the times when you choose your child over something else is truly a wonderful thing--in my opinion! My mom did and I love her so much for it :) AWE hehe!!

twinmommy
March 9th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Don't get me wrong, I AM where I want to be. I love hanging out with my kids and just being a mom. I must work part time to pay the bills, wished I was a SAHM, but am grateful for the capacity to make my own hours.

I love being at home with them, experiencing everything with them.

I was just wondering how some other moms do it, cause there are STILL days that we never make it out of p.j.s!!! :D

Glad to see you giving your mom kudos, hope my kids are sweet as you. :love:

Lizzie
March 9th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Hey Twinmommy! I didn't mean to offend you at all :sorry: I meant just the opposite! I am a twin and while I never raised twins, I remember the handful we could be!

My mom worked too, life and the government makes it impossible nowadays for people not to. I guess my point was, which I didn't make clearly, was that your babies won't care about the things that typically bother adults. They'll give you lots of hugs for everything you do get to do with them---and even hugs for the efforts you were making for them while you weren't with them...like working to help pay for their existence!!!

twinmommy
March 9th, 2005, 09:08 PM
No offense taken!! Sorry if I sounded miffed, I wasn't.. :) :love: :D

do you have a twin sister or brother?

Sneaky2006
March 9th, 2005, 09:08 PM
I think if you are able to have your kids on a schedule, don't mess it up!
I only have one kid, who is in school, but I babysit 3 others... 2 of which don't go to school and they have a schedule too. I'm not about to mess that up, have cranky kids and/or bored kids just to suit others.

TWilson9498
March 9th, 2005, 09:11 PM
How old are they? I never would do the whole cry it out thing either.. Mine are 6, 4, and 5 1/2 months.. My youngest goes to sleep about 9 for the night and sleeps until about 6, (usually 10 minutes til since the alarm is set for 6, I think she knows those last 10 minutes are the best sleep you could get!) Anyway, my son takes Taekwondo and my daughter is in dance. My husband works until roughly until 8-10 every night, only off on Sunday.. I was working 6 days a week but recently it finally took its toll on me and I have taken this entire month off to regroup! My 6 yr old is of course in school, and after school care which he stays at until 4 then it's off to class... My 4 yr old stays home with me as well as my youngest. I think I have lazy kids! All of mine slept through the night by the time they were roughly 3 months old.. My 2 oldest now have a problem with going to sleep early.. I put them in the bed at 7:30 and they will still be lying there talking to themselves sometimes as late as 11-12... Even though they are both up at 7 every morning and my 4 yr old doesn't take naps at home.. It gets rough sometimes, but like you said, I too love my kids and being home with them is great.. but I sure would like to go back to work right about now! (they are all 3 sick with that cold virus along with my husband who is the biggest baby of them all!) They all eat dinner about 6 and since they are in the bed by 7:30 we have our dinner at 8... mind you that's about the time the baby is swinging so she can get ready to pass out with in the hour, but if she's swinging she is quiet enough for us to have dinner when he's home.. sometimes we don't eat until 9-10 just so we can atleast have one meal together during the day. Otherwise I would be sound asleep everynight by the time he got home!

Lizzie
March 9th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Phew!
Identical sister :p

happycats
March 9th, 2005, 09:18 PM
Hi twinmommy,
I only have one child so I can only tell you how I did it with one.
I stuck pretty much to the same schedule as yours, except I learned that if I let him stay up until around 8 or 8:30 pm he slept through the night!!
(he also napped from 11 or 12 to 1 or 2 and sometimes 3)
Basically my child comes first, and I make arrangements around him, and if people can't understand that then it's their problem not mine.

Sneaky2006
March 9th, 2005, 09:22 PM
I didn't really say about sleeping through the night with my son because he was quite different than other babies.
From the time he was born I had to wake him up for feedings... during the day he got up on his own but at night he didn't. He needed to gain weight so I would have to set my alarm to get HIM up to eat at 2 and 5 in the morning, until the dr said I didn't have to do that anymore... probably about 2 months old I stopped.

twinmommy
March 9th, 2005, 09:28 PM
Happycats--We were thinking of trying the later bedtime, hubby and me, but when we do try it it is not that great. was it an instant success when you did it the first couple of times?

Sneaky--I know what you mean, we were told not to miss any feedings an we had to even introduce a bit of formula at a certain point in their growth.(Which they HATED!! :yuck: ) I think that part of the reason why they are so long to do their nights is that we were still waking them to feed them, at 8-9 months, for their last feeding at 11 p.m.

CyberKitten
March 9th, 2005, 09:29 PM
I am not a mommy but I see lots of moms and babies in my practice. I think your lifestyle is pretty much the norm for a mom with babies - and you have double the pleasure too. (I know that does not necessarily help but maybe there is some solace in knowing you are not alone :) )

A group of moms whose children I treat get together every now and then - kind of a girls night out. Granted, they need to talk about the trials and tribulations of life when your child has cancer - but I think the idea works well for moms of all persuations. Of course you life revolves around your babies but maybe you can start a group and have your husband or a sitter and go out to lunch or dinner at a fav restaurant. I do think it is healthy to take a break now and then from parenthood - even if you still think about them when you are somewhere else.

Sneaky2006
March 9th, 2005, 09:33 PM
To keep him sleeping through the night after we stopped waking him was give him that late night feeding with cereal. We never heard a peep from him, ever.
I want another baby soooo bad, but I don't know if I'm ready for all of this again... you're really making me think twice! :p
My son is almost 9 now.. :eek: My MIL calls me weird for thinking about it.
And with twins... ughh, I don't know how you do it.
Everyone thought we were going to have twins... my mom is a twin and my husbands dad is a twin too.

After reading CK's post... around here there's a mom's club and once a month they all get together, no kids. They always say it's the only thing they need, a few hours once a month is all it takes to seem sane.

DogueLover
March 9th, 2005, 10:45 PM
My girls are 4 and almost 3 and I can tell you that the youngest still has some nights where she wakes up. It does get better but then you end up with Teens that sleep every moment they can and you end up fighting to get them to get up...........

I think it is like the old saying............ you spend the first two years of your childs life teaching them to walk and talk and the next 16 telling them to sit down and be quiet. LOL

The same goes for their sleep patterns.............. we spend so much time wanting them to sleep and then end up fighting with them to not sleep so much. I don`t think you can win .............. I have learned to deal with the sleep deprivation. The nights that you actually DO get to sleep more than 5 hours at a time should be savoured for every second. This will get better, you will adjust............... we all do.

Did you know that we get our best sleep in the last 20 minutes before we wake up?? I didn`t know that but it makes sense............ ask any mom with little ones, that last 20 mins when you are finally completely asleep is the best time of all.

Wish I had a miracle cure for this ( I don`t let the kids cry it out either, I always figured that was pointless because you don`t sleep through that anyway........... and if you do I think something would be wrong.)

If I hear of a miracle way to make them sleep through the night......... I`ll pass it on.

mona_b
March 10th, 2005, 12:32 AM
When I became a new mom,I was making the big mistake by waking my daughter up.My sister asked why I was doing that.I said cause it was her feeding time.She was the one who said I shouldn't do that.At that time she had a 3 year old,a 1 year old and was 6 months pregnant,so yeah,she would know better....LOL...She never woke them up to be fed...I really didn't have very many restfull sleeps with my daughter.She had a cast on her foot when she was 2 days old.She was born with a club foot.So the cast would always hit her good food and she would wake up.This would even happen every hour.After her surgery at 3 months and finally being out of a cast at around 5 months,I was getting a bit more sleep.And I was going back to work when she was 6 months.So I needed my sleep.What I did end up doing was giving her cereal for her last feeding.And lo and behold,she slept through the night.It was great.I was in my glory..... :D ...I gave her the cereal called Malupa...It does taste good.... :p

Dogue,you are soooo right.My daughter will be 18 on Tues,and if she had her way,she would sleep her life away...........LOL

lilith_rizel
March 10th, 2005, 05:12 AM
We have Judith on a sched. I get up at 6 for her first feeding of the day, and medications. Then we go back to sleep until 10. Get up for the day and eat again. From there, every 3 hours is feeding time, with meds and nap at 2, and another nap at 6. Bed time is at 10. To prepare for bed, I first give her her last does of meds, then bath, a feeding, and then a story. I put her in the bassinett and pull up the canopy thing. Only time that is up is when it is bed time or nap time. I don't worry too much about keeping the sched. exact, if I am off by half an hour or so, she doesn't get bothered by it. And I guess I am one of the lucky few. Judith started sleeping through the night at 6 weeks of age.

Writing4Fun
March 10th, 2005, 07:03 AM
What I did end up doing was giving her cereal for her last feeding.And lo and behold,she slept through the night.
Oh, totally! Both of my boys were having small amounts of cereal with their last bottle at 2 months old (it was so liquidy at this point, I probably could have put it in their bottles so they could drink it), and they have always been very solid sleepers. Mind you, I was still sleep deprived, because I would wake up 3 or 4 times a night to check on them. :rolleyes:

lilith_rizel
March 10th, 2005, 09:32 AM
We started putting cereal in all of Judith's bottles. Since we have been doing that, she has had such a big appatite. She will suck down 4-5 ounches at a time, and is ready to eat again in 3 hours! 2 weeks ago when we were just giving her formula, it was3-4 ounces every 3 hours! She loves the cereal and formula mix! I can already tell that she is going to be a good eater....

twinmommy
March 10th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Guess what???

I don't know if it was all the positive vibes from you guys, but the girls SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT!!

..well almost... ;)

but as you said Dogue, more than 5 hours!! I'll take it!! :thumbs up

Thanks guys for all the responses!! It's nice not to feel isolated. :love: :grouphug:

lilith_rizel
March 10th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Twinmommy,

Isn't it exciting. I remember when Judith first slept through the night (midnight-6am). I didn't even realize it, until that afternoon, when I realized that she didn't get her 3am feed, because there was an extra bottle in the fridge. At that time, I would make up 4 bottles at a time, which was enough for 12 hours. I would make them at noon and at midnight. And she has only woken up once at night since then. She is now 2 1/2 months old, and sleeps from 10pm tp 6am! And don't worry, your twins will sleep through the night when the are ready to.

twinmommy
March 10th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Thanks Lileth!

They have actually slept through the night before this, but it's REALLLY few and far between. I won't be discouraged if they don't do it again tonight, because it rarely happens twice in a row. :o but yeah, you wake up in a panic thinking--"Where are they"!!!

They will be 16 months old next week, :eek: , time flies, and yes it's amazing how littel slep I kin funkshin on!!! hee hee hee ;)

Any new pics of Judith?? (as I hijack my own thread... ;)

lilith_rizel
March 10th, 2005, 11:21 AM
I think the reason why Judith started sleeping through the night is because the first 5 weeks of her life, she was being bothered every 2 hours, night and day. So when she got home, there was no one taking her temp, blood pressure or pricking her with needles all the time. So she could get some rest. It makes so much sense, being that we were only home a couple of days before she started sleeping through the night.

I was actually going to get my camera and take some new pictures of her this afternoon. So I will post more as soon as I can find the camera, and dowload more pictures.

twinmommy
March 10th, 2005, 11:29 AM
wish I could say the same, one of mine was in the ICU for a month....but I know what it's like to witness the "high tech" environment and the stress of beepers, leads, temps, and bp being taken...24/7. NO Complaints, we know we are fortunate to have the facility we do, but when you get these wee things home and they start to thrive in a more calmer setting....it's really beautiful.

lilith_rizel
March 10th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Sorry Twinmommy, batteries are dead. I have to recharge them.

lilith_rizel
March 10th, 2005, 11:35 AM
I know what you mean. There isn't a day that goes by where I don't thank god for the beautiful girl he gave me. Everything I do during the day, she is a part of. I get to see the new things she does everyday. Yesterday she started grabbing onto her rattle that I have hung on her bassinett with a link-a-doo. It is so cute. So now that rattle is going to go everywhere. It is her new favorite toy.

twinmommy
March 10th, 2005, 11:47 AM
awww little cutie!! They develop sooo fast!! People ask me "what are some of the new things they are doing?" and I'm like "what? this week? more like today, or better yet, more like THIS MORNING!""

It's reallly true, it goes soo fast.

I'm so happy to be able to stay at home as much as I do...would love to stay home more, but it's not happening right now, and hubby is there when I'm not, so they bond with daddy, mommy can have peace of mind (sort of--hee hee poor daddy!)

I'm just really thankful and very happy.

(And well rested today, I might add, does it show? :rolleyes: )

lilith_rizel
March 10th, 2005, 11:53 AM
I am glad to hear that you are rested up. What James and I did the first week she was home was I woke up on week days, if she woke up, and he would get up on weekends when she would wake up. He also did the midnight feeding, being that he was up until then anyways. That way I could go to be at 10 after her last dose of meds for the day, and could sleep until 3 when she got up. So we kind of split up the night feedings based on his work sched. Maybe it will work out for you.

twinmommy
March 10th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Thanks, it sounds good, we do that soemtimes, on the "sleeping in" end of things,he gets Sunday morning and I get Monday.(we work the service industry so that's our weekend). :D

With 2 babies, if they get up together at night, my hubby always helps even though he's usually the one :love: to go to work in the morning. ( I only work about 10-12 hrs /wk.) So for night wakings it's kind of a mad dash so that they don't wake themselves up too much and are easier to settle back down. Thank god I dont have the kind of kids that want to "stay up" once they are awake!! :eek:

After this long in the sleep deprivation cycle, you'd be surprised---I have INSOMMNIA believe it or not!! Supposedly your body gets so used to the wakings that it keeps waking on it's own.

great. :rolleyes:

And then I come here and type away!!! :D Another reason why I love this site...such a sanity break!! :crazy:

lilith_rizel
March 10th, 2005, 12:17 PM
I know. I come on this site when Judith is sleeping. Gives me a break.

Last week, I was going insane from being stuck in the house, and Judith was really whinny. So I made up a shopping list and told James that we NEEDED to go shopping for them. Which in reality, we didn't need anything. I just wanted to give him a reason to drive to different stores, so that I could get out of that house. Good thing that Judith loves shopping.Just getting out, walking around the mall and walmart for 2 hours helped so much. Plus I was able to buy Judith a cute pair of shoes from Osh-Kosh, to wear with her little dresses.

Bearsmom
March 10th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Twinmommy-you're STILL up for sainthood as far as I'm concerned.

Robbie started sleeping through the night at 5 weeks old. First night he did it, my husband and I both woke with a start at 7am and thought, "dear God, is he dead?". Terrible, but true.

I only breastfed for 3 weeks, as he refused to latch after that, so we put him on a breastmilk/formula mixture, then completely formula. His pediatrician said that formula was heavier, so he wouldn't need as much.

We're currently broaching on the terrible twos, which terrifies me more than having a c section did. Jeez that kid is busy. Never mind getting out of jammies some days, most days I'm not working it's, "did I brush my hair today? No? Who cares.".

Couple having an infant (he was 2 months when I went back to work-nother long story), we had to get him on a schedule pretty quickly, as my parents were to look after him while I was on dayshift. Now he flips if his schedule isn't right on. He does go to bed by 8pm, and wakes at 8am, bottle, breakfast, playtime, lunch, bottle, naps from 1-3:30 pm, then up, then dinner, then bath and bedtime. He's pretty right on it most days, I guess we're pretty lucky.

I think we do miss some family functions, but ones that I don't attend that a youngster can go to, my husband just takes him. Most family members are so used to having me be on shiftwork, that they never know what my schedule is. Sometimes, that's not a bad thing!!! :thumbs up

Bearsmom
March 10th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Last week, I was going insane from being stuck in the house, and Judith was really whinny. So I made up a shopping list and told James that we NEEDED to go shopping for them. Which in reality, we didn't need anything. I just wanted to give him a reason to drive to different stores, so that I could get out of that house. Good thing that Judith loves shopping.Just getting out, walking around the mall and walmart for 2 hours helped so much. Plus I was able to buy Judith a cute pair of shoes from Osh-Kosh, to wear with her little dresses.

Plus people just LOVE babies in stores! I'm forever gooing over someone's newborn....

lilith_rizel
March 10th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Twinmommy,

Just got done taking this picture. First time I have seen her hold that fish. Usually it is the ones hanging down that she grabs on to.

CyberKitten
March 10th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Glad to hear they slept through the night. That's great! I would not worry about veering off schedule too much.

The first time I ever babysat a newborn, I would run up the stairs (where her bedroom was) every 15 minutes to make sure she was still breathing. I got better at it but I think it's normal to worry.

I can relate to the ICU enviornment. We save so many neonates these days and it's wonderful. We had one child who has been in our (Childrens') hospital for two years (She has numerous medical problems). She is a wonderful happy little girl in spite of everything but I just can't help thinking that beginning one's life so institutonalized can't be good psychologically. Perhaps it is because I spent so much time in hospital myself as a child that I try to get to see her at least once a day and take her and her oxygen and feeding tubes etc somewhere out of that room!! She has parents but they cannot be there all the time - they live 5 hours away - so staff at the hospitak ave adopted her in a big way.

On the other hand, we had one boy who left hospital after 1 1/2 yrs here and he had a very difficult time to adjust to life "on the outside". These kids are so used to the smell of plastic from the tubes, the lights, the noise (Hospitals are anything BUT quiet) and the routine that they miss it when they leave. We do call that institutionalized and sadly, some children still live that way for awhile at a time when one is hard pressed to maintain a hospital bed for two days. (I played musical beds today - trying to find a bed for a child - every bed in the oncology unit is taken and it gets frustrating sometimes. And our center is one of the best in the country!)

Anyway, Twinmommy, I do not think you should worry about their routine (and don't base it on the exa,ples I used - that was in reference to discussion of the ICU!). They will sleep through the night soon and then they will be 16 and you will wonder why they have the car all the time, lol

doggy lover
March 10th, 2005, 07:38 PM
That part of my life is all a memory of sleep deprived nights, and getting up to work for 5am putting in a full day and comming home to a baby and a 2 year old. My daughter was wonderful, but my son a nightmare, he was in hospital a few times befor he was2 stopped breathing once, low blood sugar another and stomach flu another. He never slept all night through until he was almost 3, then I stopped letting him nap in the day and it worked great. Now my kids are 17 and 15 and I have a hell of a time getting them out of bed. But I honestly don't know how I got through it but we survive.

twinmommy
March 10th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Omigod!! Lileth!! She's getting sooo big! What a beautiful girl!! :love: Thanks for that pic :thumbs up

CK--Thanks for the encouragement. It means alot to me coming from you..I don't know how you do it..I take my hat off to those who work with children, I'd be a wreck...waay to sensitive I think.

Bearsmom--LOL I thought I had seen bad "bed head" in my partying days!!! Boy are you nailing it on the head!! (no pun intended lol) How about a shower? One where you wash BOTH arms cause you're not holding anyone at arm's length keeping them from crawling/falling in with you?

Doggy lover--I think that a baby AND a 2 yr old is more difficult than what I have here. (but if it's not just humor me.) You had 2 little people at different stages talk about splitting yourself in two!! I just do the same thing all day--TWICE. I guess it's like anything else, you get your system.

I just don't want to have so much structure that we are not enjoying things anymore, a slave to the schedule, if you know what I mean.

Speaking of which,

Happycats--I'm trying your trick tonight, put them down at 8 instead of 7. wish me luck!!

happycats
March 10th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Hi twinmommy,
I found that if I played with my son (like cars or coloring) it was easier to keep him up until 8. (keep him busy, so he didn't fall asleep on me!).
So dinner would be at about 5, and bath at 7, and playtime unitl 8, read a book or to 8:10 or 8:20, then sleep. He would sleep right through the night, and usually sllep untl 7:00am! :)
Hope all works out well for you!! good luck!

twinmommy
March 10th, 2005, 08:34 PM
That's exactly what I did tonight!!! OHH maybe it'll work!! Keep your fingers and paws crossed!! LOL

hee hee hee--it's funny though, sometimes I get soo excited on the thought of sleep that I CAN'T SLEEP!!

Now THAT'S a blonde moment for ya!!

happycats
March 10th, 2005, 08:36 PM
Funny, I did the same thing, lie there in bed, big smile, thinking , finally I can sleep! and next thing you know the suns coming up! :crazy:
(but then again I'm blonde too LOL)

Britishvixen21
March 11th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Hey Twinmommy.

Firstly congrats on getting to nine months with twins you need a medal just for that!! I dont have any children however I did used to Nanny for a little girl of 3 two days a week and when i got home at the end of the day I would be so tired!!
As for you not getting out of your pjamas and brushing your hair, I have trouble brushing my teeth some days and I dont have any children. All i have is a studio apartment and a childish hb! well and Mya and its a miracle that she gets fed and watered at 6.30 everyday.

So my message to you, dont be so hard on yourself your are a star for having gotten this far with them. Also some ppl without children or children that are older dont always think of the stress you are under and still want your attention. Maybe you could invite them to you for lunch one day and they will see the mayhem, instead of you and the girls all pretty and perfect after youv spent since 5am getting ready and rushing out of the door.

Good Luck :crazy:

Bearsmom
March 11th, 2005, 11:35 AM
TWINMOMMY I HAVE A 2 YEAR OLD :evil: :evil: :evil: HERE THAT YOU CAN ADOPT. RIGHT NOW!!!! AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

I'm going upstairs for a nap. Who cares if I have 3 humans and one dog to pack for a weekend away. I just don't care right now. Maybe things will be better once I get up. :yuck:

poohbear123
March 11th, 2005, 01:48 PM
HI,

I am a mom of three ages 7,5 and 2. Pretty busy around here too!! Two are in school one is in grade one all day and one in senior kindergarten two days a week and every other friday. Now that mine are older we dont stick to a really strick schedule but I try to keep their bedtimes the same. My two yr old is down for the night at 7 or 730 and we have to wake her in the morning to get the others off to school. She has always been a really good sleeper. It is my oldest that doesnt want to go to bed!!! Anyways twimmommie do what you think is best for your children, but also remember that family functions are also important and that you shouldnt miss out on them so you dont mess with their schedules. It really isnt that big of a deal if they miss a nap or dont eat exactly when they should...they will get over it and so will you....haha. Anyways enjoy the time you have with them but dont seclude yourself off from the rest of the world. I know how stressful it is getting kids ready to out and sometimes it takes me longer to get them ready then it does to go were we are going!! I also do daycare for a 1yr old so i know how it is taking two toddlers out but have fun it does get a little easier when they get older. :)

happycats
March 11th, 2005, 08:24 PM
So how did last night go twinmommy?
I was thinking about you, hope the little ones slept through the night! :)

twinmommy
March 11th, 2005, 08:36 PM
Hi Happycats!

Well, last night turned out to be just regular...both kids up twice--not at the same time, ugh. :crazy:

I figure that I'd try it again tonight anyways, and see (although one varmint has already been up once and it's only 9:30 :o ) They've been in bed since about 8.

I guess it'll take a few nights to see if this new bedtime is good for them, but honestly, I have to admit, I have no clue when to put these kids to bed!! I have tried all different times and when they do sleep well, I try the same time the next night and it doesn't work twice. :rolleyes: Either it just doesn't make that much of a difference what time I try, or they are just not ready to go right through.

Before you started keeping your little guy up till 8-830, what was his bedtime? How was the switching over, did it take a few nights to go through? And how old was he when you switched?

questions questions questions!!!! :D

happycats
March 11th, 2005, 08:49 PM
I had to give him that be time when he turned one, as I had to go back to work and I was having a very hard time with him going to sleep and getting up whenever he wanted. (I have to get up at 5:00am for work).
So it took about 2 weeks for him to get used to that bed time, But once he did it was great!

twinmommy
March 11th, 2005, 08:53 PM
Maybe you could invite them to you for lunch one day and they will see the mayhem, instead of you and the girls all pretty and perfect after youv spent since 5am getting ready and rushing out of the door

Britishvixen--This idea rocks!! I have done this, and it's a good trick to get them a little more intune with you so to speak. Glad to know that there is other who are walking around with bedhead and stinky breath!! :grouphug:

Bearsmom--Did you sell/barter off that wee varmint yet?? hee hee hee You're post reminds me of how I get when I'm trying t feed them and they don't want to eat they just want to whine and throw everything on the floor from atop their highchairs. :evil: :evil: :evil: I have learned not to bend down to pick up as I usually get "bombed" and end up wearing some too. :evil: :rolleyes: Oh well, that's what the dogs are for right?

And Poohbear--you're right about not missing everything. Certain things only happen once and it's a shame to miss it all. I never wanted to be one of those people who rant about "staying on shcedule", and then I entered "The World of the Sleep Deprived" :eek: The quest for 3-4 hours straight has me doing soem crazy things, is all I can say. But thanks for getting me to lighten up a bit. :thumbs up

twinmommy
March 11th, 2005, 08:57 PM
o.k., so it he was waking up alot before and continued to do so for about 2 weeks? The girls used to go to bed at 7:15-7:30 (can you tell I've analyzed this til it's dead? :rolleyes: ) and now tonight was about an hour later...sound familiar?

lilith_rizel
March 11th, 2005, 09:05 PM
I don't always keep Judith on a strict sched., if she just won't take a nap at 2 or 6 like she is supposed to, I will push nap time back an hour for that day. Same way with her feedings. She does get crabby if she doesn't take her 6pm nap, but she ends up going to bed earlier. That's what happened tonight. She never fell asleep for he evening nap, so she was really crabby, and ended up going to bed at 9. I pretty much let her try to make her ouwn sched., within reason. The only thing I am strict on are her medications.

Twinmommy, you should try to make it to family functions. Even tough Judith has medications that has to be kept cold, that doesn't stop me from going out, and it doesn't put too much pressure on our sched. either. I just bring her stroller, meds (kept cool small containers with ice), and everything else that she will need. If you are going to a family memeber's house, I am sure that they won't mind if you bring playpens for the kids to sleep in. And they would probably allow you to set them up in a bed room where they won't be as distracted, and will be able to take their naps.

poohbear123
March 11th, 2005, 09:09 PM
Are your girls still napping during the day? We were having trouble with our little one going to sleep at night and we cut out her after noon nap and she is so tired at bedtime that she goes right to sleep and usually doesnt wake up till morning....the odd night you wake up and hear her say "more milk", "more milk " or "mommy" "daddy" "mommy" "daddy" (anyone there haha it is too cute to hear) and we give her some more milk and right back to sleep she goes. Just a thought!! Good Luck and all mine are sleeping so off to bed I go! :thumbs up

twinmommy
March 11th, 2005, 09:21 PM
Hey Lileth!!

You are soo lucky that Judith is easier schedule-wise. My kids were like that until about 9-10 months, the only thing that they never did, was sleep anywhere else. They get soo excited when we are with other people, they fight sleep like this..http://www.discodelic.netfirms.com/other-wakeup2.gif

lilith_rizel
March 11th, 2005, 11:25 PM
Twinmommy, I hope that the twins will start sleeping through the night soon. I can't imagine how it would be trying to take care of 2 babies at the same time. It does sound like you have your hands full with just the twins, plus you have your pets too. How do you do that. I only have 1 child, a dog a cat, and a husband that acts like a child. LOL

twinmommy
March 12th, 2005, 12:50 PM
LOL Lileth!! I have a hubby like that at home too!! Better they act like kids than act like the dog!!!(actually....well....no.. :p !!!)

Bearsmom
March 14th, 2005, 07:36 AM
Bearsmom--Did you sell/barter off that wee varmint yet?? hee hee hee You're post reminds me of how I get when I'm trying t feed them and they don't want to eat they just want to whine and throw everything on the floor from atop their highchairs. :evil: :evil: :evil: I have learned not to bend down to pick up as I usually get "bombed" and end up wearing some too. :evil: :rolleyes: Oh well, that's what the dogs are for right?

Nope, he was just having a particularly "curious" day. Or Jekyll and Hyde. Now I feel like such a ***** because he's up at his grandparents for the week (hubby is out of town and I'm working), and I cried like you wouldn't believe when we left him yesterday. Geesh.

Although Friday he was heading towards, "free to a good home".

Bear is forever coated in whatever Robbie pitches at him that he doesn't want for dinner. No wonder the vet says Bear is overweight.

happycats
March 21st, 2005, 07:00 PM
So, how is the sleep (or lack there of) going ?
Hope you and the twins are getting your rest.

twinmommy
March 21st, 2005, 07:39 PM
Hi Happycats!!

Well... what is it they say, "it has to get worse before it gets better"?? :rolleyes:

Things are pretty sleepy over here!! I really believe that you just have to find the perfect bedtime for them, you know? Too early and they're not tired, too late and they're wired and have trouble settling down. Most of their wake ups are early morning(verrrry ugh 3 am early) sometimes as much as 3 times each girl between 3 and 7 am. Talk about feeling like crap by noon. :sick:

I actually have to take a break, mental break so to speak, about trying to figure out how to solve it. I have to accept that I am doing everything possible and just go with the flow.(Easier said than done, but what choice does one have?? ;)

I don't even think it has been 2 weeks of this new later bedtime, so they probably still need to adjust.

On a more positive note, man are they a hoot during the day!!! :D We are almost walking now...I give it another 2 weeks.

Iggette
March 22nd, 2005, 04:30 AM
Sheesh, I don't envy you girls up all hours of the night with your children, I was lucky all 3 of my kids were sleeping through the night by age of 3-4 months bed by 11 up by 6. I used to put cereal in they're last bottle of the night to hold them through the night :D

I hope my daughter doesn't have troubles through the night, she needs her sleep or her hubby will feel the wrath :rolleyes:

I never kept shedules, just fed them whenever they were hungry, went out all the time to visit others (with half the house in tow for supplies) but when I had kids I was quite young and all my friends were childless, so getting help with the babies was real easy everyone wanted to hold them. We had alot of visitors as well when I didn't feel like going out.....after all....we were the only couple at the time with our own pad :D

Eleni
March 22nd, 2005, 07:54 AM
I have a 4 year old 2 year old and a 3 month old.

I ahve given up keeping any form of schedual, I just base it off my kids needs, no family function my extended family throws is that important that it cant wait til my little guys are finished their naps for us to show up.

my Mother in law geot a great Idea tho, she set up beds for the kids at her home for nap time, so we go there mroe freely now knowing we can let the kids nap there

Eleni

twinmommy
March 22nd, 2005, 07:44 PM
Hi guys!!

Happycats!! You are my good luck charm!! They did another "almost" night again (up once)!!! High fives!!

Eleni--I totally agree, and we often have many of the family functions at our house specifically so I can control the situation, giving the kids their proper nap, their supper at the same time as usual, bath time, etc.

When you realize that much of your sleep problems at night stem from lack of bedtime routine and/or nap routine, you become pretty obcessive about things--because your night's sleep is at stake. However, I gotta admit lately, with spring coming and all we have been pushing it and it's very liberating.(ahhh spoken like a true freak!! ;) )

Happycats--How's your little guy?

happycats
March 22nd, 2005, 08:19 PM
WOOO HOOO so happy to hear it... There will probably be a few bumps, but it seems like your well on your way!!!!! (I forgot to ask you , do you have room darkening shades?)
My guys great, thanks for asking :D

twinmommy
March 22nd, 2005, 08:39 PM
Yeah, got the shades, and I yanked out their night light a long time ago--(coulda gotten sunburn from that sucker) saw a big difference doing that!! I think most of the time the hard part is that one wakes the other. And teething... :evil:

Eleni
March 23rd, 2005, 07:57 AM
you know whent he kids get that fear of the dark, yet the nightlight keeps them awake till ungodly hours...

with my daughter my solution was get those glow in teh dark star stickies and put them all over the walls and ceiling.

they give enough glow that shes got somethign to look at but not bright enough to give her troubles falling asleep or staying asleep

Eleni