Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What parasite prevention program do you use?

Dahlia
March 9th, 2005, 08:21 PM
I got a packet from the vet's office that has a sample of Sentinel, which is supposed to control heartworm, intestinal worms and fleas. I like the idea of having it all in one pill that I give once a month. I need to decide before her next appointment what I want to use so I can get her started on it. What do you use and why?

twinmommy
March 9th, 2005, 08:40 PM
I don't understand...what good would a sample do you? It's a complete program 6 pills--one a month fro six months and you are good for the year.

How will one pill help you?

Lucky Rescue
March 9th, 2005, 08:48 PM
This is just my personal preference, but I dont' give my animals any parasite preventatives (with the exception of heart worm meds for my dog) unless I see or know they have fleas, worms, etc.

I don't believe in giving pesticides or other potent drugs for no reason.

Dahlia
March 9th, 2005, 09:00 PM
Twinmommy, it's just to get you started. I guess the company is hoping that if you give that certain pill initially, you'll just keep using it. I know it has to be given every month. In our area, it has to be given year round. And worms, fleas and ticks are so abundant in our area that it's pretty much inevitable that your pet will get them if you don't use some sort of prevention. I'm not just going by what the vet told me, but what I've learned from experience. I'm in Kentucky.

There are other dogs who run through my backyard, and if they have fleas, then my dog can get them that way. Same with worms if one of the other dogs poops in my yard.

goldenblaze
March 9th, 2005, 09:11 PM
This is just my personal preference, but I dont' give my animals any parasite preventatives (with the exception of heart worm meds for my dog) unless I see or know they have fleas, worms, etc.

I don't believe in giving pesticides or other potent drugs for no reason.

Can I ask what heartworm med you use for your pets please?

Last yr was the first I ever used anything for parasites which was Revolution and reason was mange.

I would like to only have heartworm but not sure which is the best. Any advice is great, thanks :) I prefer one that has been out for a number of yr without problems, meds in Canada sometimes are different too. I am in Ontario :)

Lucky Rescue
March 9th, 2005, 09:34 PM
I've always used Heartguard and have never tried any others. Maybe someone else has!

Prin
March 9th, 2005, 11:22 PM
I have always used Heartguard too-- it's the only one that you can give as a cookie. :thumbs up It's also good because it kills intestinal worms too, which gives us a little peace of mind going to the dog park... The rest are pills if I am not mistaken (except Revolution which is a liquid topical...).

I believe that unless your dog is prone to fleas or has very long fur that would be a disaster if fleas got in there, the dog doesn't need the extra pesticides. But you can't see heartworm coming.

I do give them the Heartguard a little longer than they say though. They say May to October and I give the first one in April depending on how many mosquitoes there are (the past two years here in Mtl there have been a bunch of skeets in April...) There are places on the net that will sell them cheaper with a prescription from your vet (Florida and other warm places get 12 packs for the biggest dogs (+50lbs) for about $100CDN-- here a 6 pack is about $64-67 depending on the vet).

Lime disease is also creeping into Quebec so people who go to the country are going to have to start thinking about the vaccine... ;)

Dahlia
March 10th, 2005, 06:45 AM
My puppy had fleas when I got her, and like I said, where I live, dogs will get fleas if you don't do something to prevent it. I'm not in Florida, but in Kentucky it is still recommended to do prevention year round for all of the above. It won't harm the dog to get the pill every month, then I won't have to worry about her getting worms, and not knowing about it until she's sick. Again, in our area dogs WILL get worms if you don't do something to prevent it. So, it's not a matter of whether to use prevention or not, but which one to use.

BMDLuver
March 10th, 2005, 06:55 AM
SENTINEL SPECTRUM TABS FOR LARGE DOGS

APVMA Code :56502
Active Constituent(s):
460mg/ Tabletlufenuron
228mg/ Tabletpraziquantel
23mg/ Tabletmilbemycin oxime

Registered For
Commercial Use Domestic Use

Overview Details to be available soon!
Chemical Group benzoylurea (IGR)
General Instructions SPECTRUM monthly treatment with SENTINEL SPECTRUM TABS FOR LARGE DOGS will:
1. prevent heartworm (Dirofilaria immitis)infection
2. control adult roundworm ( Toxocara canis, Toxascaris leonina) immature roundworm ( Toxocara canis) adult whipworm ( Trichuris vulpis), adult hookworm ( Ancylostoma caninum), adult tapeworm ( Echinococcus granulosus, Taenia pisiformis, Dipylidium caninum)and and aid in the control of adult hookworm ( Uncinaria stenocephala) infection,
3. provide long term protection and control of flea (Ctenocephalides felis infestations, and treatment of flea allergy dermatitis in dogs between 22 and 45 kg bodyweight.

Directions for Use
1. Test for Heartworm
Before starting SENTINEL SPECTRUM, you should have your veterinarian confirm, by a simple test, that your dog does not have heartworm.
2. Give SENTINEL SPECTRUM with a FULL MEAL
Give your dog one SENTINEL SPECTRUM tablet once a month with a FULL MEAL. Most dogs will take a SENTINEL SPECTRUM tablet from your hand. If this is not the case, try hiding the tablet in their food.
3. Dose monthly
SENTINEL SPECTRUM must be given every month, preferably on the same date each month, to ensure complete protection for your dog.
SENTINEL SPECTRUM is also suitable for Puppies
SENTINEL SPECTRUM is available in small dog sizes that can be given to puppies from two weeks of age.

Company Details NOVARTIS ANIMAL HEALTH
140-150 Bungaree Road
Pendle Hill NSW 2145
Tel : 02 9688 0444
Fax : 02 9688 0555
Web : http://www.novartis.com.au/

Product details last updated on 21 Dec 2004

The reason we chose this particuliar one is that it also does tapeworm which we have had instances of from dogs arriving from the country who were used for hunting. This way we make sure all dogs are covered and safe. It does fleas as well so that's a bonus.

Dahlia
March 10th, 2005, 07:03 AM
Thanks, BMD. I hadn't talked to anyone who had used it, so I was curious. That's the one I was thinking of using, except for smaller dogs. I looked up prices online yesterday to see whether it would be cheaper to do it that way or to do separate flea, worm, heartworm, etc... Definitely cheaper to do the all in one. How does it do for fleas? Have you had any?

BMDLuver
March 10th, 2005, 07:12 AM
Common practice with fleas, particuliarly in the USA with rescues seems to be:
If you have a dog that has fleas, you treat with 3 days of Capstar as that kills adult fleas and then continue with your monthly regular program.

I have been fortunate enough to only have one litter of pups come in that were crawling with them. We did the capstar 3 days in a row and then the spectrum the 4th day. Continued with monthly program. Seems to work very well and from what I understand, Capstar is about $3 maximum per pill in the USA. Well worth it to get those pesky little buggars.

chico2
March 10th, 2005, 08:47 AM
It goes against my grain,but with my cats going outside in the summer(with me)I use Advantage between June-September...
I had a flea infested house at one time and do not want that to happen again...if there is another way,I'd like to hear about it :confused:

mona_b
March 10th, 2005, 08:54 AM
I too use Heartguard.Have been for many years. :)

I start in May and finish in Nov.

sammiec
March 10th, 2005, 09:19 AM
We use Sentinel for the dog and Program for the cat.

goldenblaze
March 10th, 2005, 10:16 AM
My main conceren is heartworm, last yr there were 3 cases in my town plus 4 not far from here. I used revolution which is for everything but I am not worried about fleas, never had a problem with fleas...I will look into Heartguard, thanks everyone :)

twinmommy
March 10th, 2005, 10:38 AM
My cats are indoor cats, the extra pesticides were not necessary as the risk was so small. Now I have recently been told that I should give them the pills as they could catch fleas just from sitting in an open window..... :eek:

Any one hear of this?

Dahlia
March 10th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Well, fleas live outside on the grass and in weeds, so I could see where they might get in the window. Where I used to live we had fleas in the carpet, even though we didn't have any pets. I guess they got on our clothes or something and came into the house. This is why I'm so adamant about using a prevention method. Here in KY, fleas and all types of worms are a big problem, and not just in the summer. I doesn't get cold enough for a long enough time in the winter to kill them.

nymph
March 10th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Are the deworming tablets that were given by the vet used to prevent fleas as well?

My understanding is that those tablets only prevent parasites. Our puppy Diego was given 2 de-worming tablets (Drontal allwormer tablets) by our vet in week 6 and week 8, and that we were told he'll be good for a whole year.

What exactly were you guys talking about?

twinmommy
March 10th, 2005, 11:54 AM
I don't think it has the flea med in it, I believe it's just a de-wormer for intestinal worms--most puppies have.

Your dog is too young for heartworm medication this year, I think. (I'll check that for ya)

You would probably just need a flea medication for the pup's first year.

Princesss04
March 10th, 2005, 11:55 AM
I use Heart Guard as well. I also have to use a flea drop all year around. We use Advantage. On both dogs. Because like someone stated early I live near KY and they are bad here. You will not keep fleas out of your house with out a drop or pill. Believe me I have tried. I did not want to put the flea med on them once a month but you HAVE to or else. :D

twinmommy
March 10th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Your dog is too young for heartworm medication this year, I think. (I'll check that for ya)

Actually seems that any puppy over 2 pounds and 4 weeks old should be given heartworm meds. hmmm

Dahlia
March 10th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Our vet said she could start now. The pill that comes with the packet says for puppies 2 -10 lbs. He said I should give it to her on the 1st of every month, that way it's easier to remember.

Nymph, it depends on the brand. The regular deworming tablets were probably just to get rid of worms. There are brands that you give every month to PREVENT worms, heartworm, and fleas. Like Sentinel.

goldenblaze
March 10th, 2005, 12:19 PM

Actually seems that any puppy over 2 pounds and 4 weeks old should be given heartworm meds. hmmm

It can be given to a young pup... blaze was on two treatments monthly for mange... Revolution. He started at 12 weeks of age.

nymph
March 10th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Are the flea pills used only during summer time? Or year round? I just called my vet's office, and was told that there is a flea medication for the summer only: from May-1 to Oct-31, one pill per month.

luvmybeagles
March 10th, 2005, 01:19 PM
I run my dogs on Heartguard year round. I don't care if this is Michigan and it's 20F degrees outside, I saw a mosquitoe in my house just 2 weeks ago.

Ticks are a problem here, but not so much fleas. I just use a flea/tick collar on my dogs in the Summer months and I've never had any problems at all. If my dogs do get off in the tall weeds, I will visually inspect them, (especially the "dark places" ears, armpits, underbelly) for ticks. I have pulled off 1-2 in the last few years but that's it. And those were just crawling, they hadn't embedded themselves yet.

Prin
March 10th, 2005, 01:23 PM
That depends on your winter. If you have a winter then there are most likely no fleas around and you don't need pesticides. If your winter is warmer, fleas may still be around.

It should be noted though that heartguard is retroactive. If you give a chewy July 1, it kills all larvae from June 1 to July 1.

Dahlia
March 10th, 2005, 01:25 PM
nymph, it depends on the area. If you live in a colder climate you only have to use it 6 months out of the year. I'm in Kentucky and here it is recommended to use it year round.

Princesss04
March 10th, 2005, 02:30 PM
That is what our vet recommends using them year around as I am in Indiana not far from KY. We get fleas and ticks, etc. So I have to keep them on something I hate to but I have to.

Karin
March 10th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Twenty five years ago there was no flea control except dips & sprays.*GAG*
Heartworm preventive's were daily pills. Then came a daily chewable. That made life easier. Heartgard..trademarked & no typo here, has run it's rounds with me...I have tried all and everything. I'll stick with Heartgard. Stupid once, when Pro-Heart came out, tried it, still gave the Heartgard...I was chicken and for good reason. Same goes for revolution...I had free samples to last for a very long time from Phizer. Many dogs are showing heartworm positive and are on Revolution. Working for vets all these years, one benefit is access to all improvements and samples..I throw away anything that has a bad report from me or the company.

I live in flea capitol and frontline has always worked great. I apply it only evey two to three months. (You can use it every 2 months, not one)

I am in no way plugging Merial but their products work for us.

Dahlia
March 10th, 2005, 05:42 PM
So do you think it would be better to use Heartgard and frontline instead of Sentinel? What kind of reviews have you gotten on Sentinel? I was thinking of using it, but I'm hearing a lot of good things about Heartgard.

doggy lover
March 10th, 2005, 06:39 PM
I use Interceptor for heartworm instead of Heartguard as it contains Ivermectin which borcer collies can have allergic reactions too, and since Tucker is a BC thats what I use. For my last dog we used Sentinel, we had to use a flea control med on him as he had allergies to fleas and it was a real pain if he got them for both of us, more so him.

chico2
March 11th, 2005, 08:22 AM
At the time my house and animals were flea-infested,I had Mishka a collie/gsd X and two cats,Mishka had sores all over her body and just watching the fleas crawl all over the animals made me sick and I can only imagine how they felt.In those days only spray and powder was available...Has anyone ever tried to flea-spray a cat :evil:

Karin,in using Advantage,are you saying once every two months is enough?
For 3 cats,2 months supply here is about $85,it would be great if I needed it only every two months.Needless to say the cats would be happier for it to...

Princesss04
March 11th, 2005, 08:40 AM
I use Advatage and they told me that if we did not have ticks really bad (which we don't) you should use the Adavntage for three straight months than after that you can use it about every month and a half to two months. I use it about every two months. And we are flea and tick free. So we use one on Meater and one on Chino about every two months give or take a few days. Try to do it before two months or right at two months. If you do not have a flea problem Chico I think you could do the same. :D

chico2
March 11th, 2005, 08:49 AM
We have had no flea-problems since Advantage and I have never seen any ticks,I keep my grass really short and since they don't leave my backyard I think they are ok.
I will try to give Adv,every two months..I know the hundreds of squirrells and the coons around here are flea-ridden,as well as the birds....and I am a little hyper when it comes to fleas...don't want my cats to have to go trough it,awful little critters(the fleas :D )..thank's girls!

Princesss04
March 11th, 2005, 08:57 AM
That is how I am I hate fleas. Hate, Hate, Hate, I went to my aunts house one time and spent the night (as a child) she had 8 dogs. NONE have flea med. I laid there at night and could feel them walking on me. I woke up that morning and had flea bites ALL over me. I knew than that when I grew up and had a dog I would not let them get fleas. They are so gross. Try it every two months just watch your cat you know when there is somthing differant. I mean digging and scrathcing and go from there. If you can like I can it will save you alot of money. Meater scratches but he gets dry skin in the winter. The vet said he prolly always will in the winter. He is on a special shampoo but at least it is not because of the fleas. :D :eek:

Dahlia
March 11th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Yesterday after walking Sophie I was in the kitchen and felt something crawling up my leg. I pulled up my jeans and guess what? A tick! I know it didn't come off of Sophie because the night we got her I bathed her and checked for fleas and ticks and she had one tick under her arm which I pulled off and I got rid of all the fleas. On Monday the vet also checked and said she didn't have any. She still likes to scratch, though, I guess it's a doggy thing. Anyway the tick had to have come from our back yard and the grass is really short and it is March! Just confirms the fact that we need protection year round here in the big KY.

Prin
March 11th, 2005, 10:25 AM
Was the head buried? I just ask because even though here we don't have ticks too much, I've been told to rub the tick with nail polish remover or alcohol on a qtip to get him to pull his head out of the skin.
(I wonder how common/how long it takes for the tick to burrow in versus how many stay on the surface)

Dahlia
March 11th, 2005, 11:17 AM
No it wasn't buried, just crawling around. It doesn't take them long to bury, though. Just until they find the spot they want.

Dahlia
March 11th, 2005, 11:20 AM
My dd had one buried on her shoulder once after playing in the weeds at the babysitter's. Her grandma saw it and thought it was a little scab so she put Neosporin and a bandaid on it! :eek:

I don't know how long she left it there, dd was at her dad's that week. She started complaining about it itching and the babysitter took off the bandaid and found the tick and there was a big red infected spot. It took it about a month to clear up.

Karin
March 11th, 2005, 11:55 AM
So do you think it would be better to use Heartgard and frontline instead of Sentinel? What kind of reviews have you gotten on Sentinel? I was thinking of using it, but I'm hearing a lot of good things about Heartgard.

Sentinel works great on dogs in close confines such as a condo or apartment and for a dog that does not go out much. I would not recommend Sentinel for anyone living in a area that is prone to flea infestations.