Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy Stuff

Shamrock
March 9th, 2005, 02:34 PM
I bought a few items this week for the new mini-doxie puppy coming to my nine-year grand-daughter on Saturday.
All in a matching pink plaid, I got her:
A soft "snuggli"-type carrier
Soft and hooded dog bed
Halter, collar, 6-ft leash

-and a book on Daschunds

I hope these are practical and useful items - not familiar with pups, as all my dogs have come to me as adults.
Do puppies generally use a dog-bed? Or is this a waste of money?
And I'm not sure now if I got the right size of leash?
Maybe a shorter leash is best?
I use a flexi-leash, but felt this may not be the safest thing for a child to use. Of course, she will be supervised at all times by her mother - who is at home full time.

I still have time to change any of the these items. :rolleyes:

mafiaprincess
March 9th, 2005, 02:38 PM
I think what you got is thoughtful and adorable. My pup started to use her bed when our couch was full.. Especially when she realized it was hers since I kept putting treats on it.

I personally prefer 6 ft leashes. They are what you are asked to have for training, and they are long enough to let a pup explore without really being too far out of reach.

Trinitie
March 9th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Puppies do use pet beds, but you may find it "slightly chewed" after a while. Make sure the pup has lots of little toys around for chewing and the bed should last. Everything sounds just right!

nymph
March 9th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Our puppy doesn't use a puppy bed at night, he does use one during the day, or sometimes on the carpeted staircase. :p

I put one of my really thick sweaters in a laundry basket, along with a stuffed animal and a ticking clock, placed right by my side of the bed, and he seems to like it very much.

Shamrock
March 9th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Oh, good, thanks for that info. :thumbs up
I'm just going to wrap it all up this afternoon then..
Chew toys are something I totally forgot about,lol.
I'll pick up a few of those too, and I'm sure they will get some as well.
I'll post a photo of the little one after the weekend - she is sure to be a cutie.. :angel: