Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question: How much excercise should a 9-weeks puppy receive?

nymph
March 9th, 2005, 10:59 AM
And what kind of excercise? My golden retriever puppy Diego is sleeping most of the time, when he's awake, he chews on his toys. I have tried to play mini-fetch with him at home, but he loses interest after only a few fetches. I also give him tummy rubs a lot, but he's not really squirming. He only had one-shot so far, so we can't take him out to walk or to park in fear that he'll get sick from unvaccinated dogs' feces. He's about 10 lbs now.

What's appropriate exercise for his age?

Trinitie
March 9th, 2005, 11:41 AM
At this tender young age, bones are still developing. The puppy is giving you signals by sleeping most of the time. Growing is a very taxing thing on little babies - all they do is sleep. As you play with the puppy, you'll be able to tell how tired he is by his reaction.

There are a few Golden owners here that should be able to answer your question. If it were me, I'd stop when he fell asleep! :D (too smart-aleky for most, I'm sure!)

goldenblaze
March 9th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Golden Puppies are sweet smart and fast to learn. They love to learn all you want and love to please...but this pup is too young to start learning tricks yet... let him sleep play with him and bond but let him show you how he feels, don't push him. He will be all you want him, let him grow up more and you and he can play. My golden slept hours till he was 12/13 weeks, he will let you know when he is ready.
Good luck and enjoy :)

nymph
March 9th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Thanks goldenblaze! That was really comforting. Yeah golden puppies are so smart! Diego already learned the sit command, one short session (4-5 minutes) and he's got it!

No I don't want to exhaust him, but I also want to give him enough exercise so that he won't be bored. He licks his penis sometimes after peeing and chews on his back legs or sometimes tail, I'm a little bit concerned that he may be bored. I guess I should really listen to him :D, he'll let me know when he's ready for more exercise.

Is 10 lbs a good weight for a 9-weeks pup? He suffered diarrhea a few days back for about a week, but is now fully recovered. His food intake has been quite steady: about 2 cups of dried kibbles everyday, sometimes a little bit more, sometimes a little bit less, but poops are normal, no mucus, brown to light brown in color and solid...Oh God I can't believe that I'm actually talking about poops and enjoying it!

goldenblaze
March 9th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Puppies do weird things... where did you get your golden puppy from. What food are you feeding him... I feed my golden BLaze... Nutro large bred puppy from 8 weeks till 11 mths did very well with it...

nymph
March 9th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Puppies do weird things... where did you get your golden puppy from. What food are you feeding him... I feed my golden BLaze... Nutro large bred puppy from 8 weeks till 11 mths did very well with it...

I got mine from a shelter when he was only 6-weeks old. I too feed him Nutro's Natural Choice controlled growth puppy chow for large breed, and he seems to like it very much. I was feeding him Nutrience Junior, but he had diarrhea when he was on that brand, so we switched him to a vet prescribed intestinal canned food for a few days, and later switched to Nutro. I'm not completely sure if Nutrience Junior caused his diarrhea, but he's happy with this new brand so I'm not complaining. :cool:

Prin
March 9th, 2005, 11:51 PM
You do have to be careful not to over exert the doggy when he's young because that can lead to joint and bone problems later. I know with great danes, you're not supposed to let them get into a real run until 10 months. Of course they are way more fragile than goldens but I would work the exercise in gradually. You have to be careful though because some of these eager to please doggies don't stop until you do.

(My lab/husky would rather die of overheating than not fetch a ball you just threw... She almost got hypothermia because I let her swim on her own in the fall-- I didn't give any toys because I didn't want her to feel obligated to stay in and somehow she felt it anyway and just kept swimming and swimming. I had to force her to come out and man, was she frozen. Never believe a dog when it says it's ok to keep playing... :rolleyes: )

mona_b
March 10th, 2005, 07:02 AM
I definately would not over do it with to much exercise at this age.Not just with Goldens,but any large breed.I find nothing wrong with playing mini fetch with him,taking him for short little walks.

Trinite is so right about the bones growing.To much exercise at this age can lead to Hip Dysplasia even at 6 months.I know of a few responsible breeders of Goldens who advise not to start hard jogging untill they are 12-14 months old.

I have raised GSD's.And even with this breed they should never be over exercised at a young age.They are prone to Panosteitis.Which is very painful.This is why I made sure my guys never over did it on the stairs.

Also,puppies at this age should be fed at least 3 x a day.... :)