Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

COncerned

raingirl
March 9th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Well, i have been off work for two weeks waiting for my new job to start. The first week I was making sure to go out each day for a while so Odin wouldn't get used to me being home. Well, the next week I hurt my foot, so I couldn't drive, so I stayed home a lot.

Well, towards the end of the week I noticed that Odin was sleeping a lot during the day, and he started not eating his breakfast right away. I'm thinking it is because he was used to me being home, and wasn't all that excited anymore because I was there.

Well, this morning he didn't eat his breakfast at all. I added yogurt, he didn't touch it. I added some fish oil, he didn't touch it. Usually one or the other of those, and he digs right it. I thought maybe he wanted me to train him, which I do with his kibble, and he loves that, but he wasn't even interested in that. He didn't even want a cookie after I asked him for his paw! The only thing I got him to eat was some Banana (and he isn't a big banana fan). He has been sleeping all morning since we had our morning walk, which was short due to the cold.

Funny thing that I noticed this morning is that his tummy was making LOTS of noise. I think it could be because he is hungry, who knows. It was so loud, I heard it when I was waking up in a different room! He is drinking fine, peeing and pooping, and burping and farting, so I don't think it's bloat. It's just weird. I was going to go out and run some errands, not sure if I should take him with me, or leave him here. Should I make a vet visit?

twinmommy
March 9th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Usually one or the other of those, and he digs right it

He may already have you trained to add stuff to his food!! Then they get picky and wonder what else they could munch!!

That's just a hunch, though, to hard to say via internet. Does he seem nauseous? If you don't think it's a dire emergency, maybe just call the vet and see what they say.

raingirl
March 9th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Well, I tried something different. He has a large kong, I put some yogurt in the bottom, filled with kibble, put yogurt on top, and topped with a banana. That seemed to help. I just made some lunch and he ate the rest of his food!

I did some research on the net just now, and some of the "bull" breeds tend to get over production of bile at night, and tend to not want to eat for a while in the morning. I noticed he tries to eat branches and grass when out in the morning, which is a sign of tummy upset. He does cough of yellow foamy stuff sometimes, which I understand is bile. I think it was just tummy upset.

Now that he has eaten, he is full of beans, and wants to chew everything.

About the hand feeding kibble thing, just so everyone doesn't think i'm spoiling him.... THis was recommended by the trainer, as he should be working for everything. What we usually do is hand feed for about 10 minutes, or until he stops paying attention, and then add yogurt to the rest of his food. the hand feeding is for training. He has to do something for each handfull of kibble (sit, stay, paw, down, etc). Anything he doesn't eat then, goes into a food ball where he has to throw it around to get the food out.

twinmommy
March 9th, 2005, 12:56 PM
No I think that hand feeding is a great idea, no questions there.

did some research on the net just now, and some of the "bull" breeds tend to get over production of bile at night, and tend to not want to eat for a while in the morning. I noticed he tries to eat branches and grass when out in the morning, which is a sign of tummy upset. He does cough of yellow foamy stuff sometimes, which I understand is bile. I think it was just tummy upset.

True. Assuming you feed him twice/day, have you tried to divide his feedings into 3 (same ammount) so that he won't be on an empty stomach in the morning. I find that cuts down on the bile barfing, if you feed him just before going to bed.

raingirl
March 9th, 2005, 01:24 PM
That's an idea. Maybe I will try that. Right now he is getting about 1.5 cups twice a day...maybe reduce to 1 cup in the AM, 1 cup around 4 PM, and 1 cup before bed. I'll try that today.