Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

mamma cat and baby sick?

kayla
March 9th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Momma cat has been sneezing for about 5 days now. I called the vet but they said it is probably just a cold and if she is eating and nursing and acting happy then I don't have to worry. She doesn't have a runny nose or anything, just the sneezes.

What I'm more concerned about is one of her babies. The little girl, who I guess is the runt, is twitching. I've noticed this a little for a few days but thought it was just her trying to hold her head up or something. I've noticed it is just the little girl and not the boy though. Also, she is slower to develop (eyes still only half open when her brothers eyes were open 3 days ago) and when momma leaves she doesn't cry, which makes me think she is weaker.

I checked for dehydration and she is good, she nurses just as well as her brother, and there is no runny stuff from eyes or nose and looks otherwise healthy.

Should I be concerned? Every time I call the vet (and I called a few vets, as well as cat specialized ones) and they all tell me not to worry, but I still do, should I be? Should I just take her in anyways?

Lucky Rescue
March 9th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Mamma probably has rhino. As long as there is no green discharge from eyes or nose, and she is eating well, I would do nothing for now.

Just make sure she has all the food she wants - canned, not dry - and is drinking too.

As for the kitten, there isn't a whole lot to be done at this point. If she is nursing properly, I would wait on this too.

Princesss04
March 9th, 2005, 10:39 AM
I would take her in to be sure. This does not sound normal to me. And cats do not get colds (I think) they get upper respatory (spelling) infections. I am surprised they did not want to see them. What vet do you go to. This sounds weird, some vets are not as good as others. I hope your babies are all right.

kayla
March 9th, 2005, 02:40 PM
I hope it's not Rhino, I just read:

"Kittens are more affected than adults, and up to 70% can die with severe infection. Severe infection in kittens can also cause lack of balance and seizures before death. "

I hope the lack of balance and seizures isn't what I am seeing in the baby cat :(

I phoned the SPCA and they said I can take her in to see their vet this weekend to get her checked out, I would take her sooner but I don't have access to a car until then.

If it is Rhino can my dog catch it? Or my other cat even though he is vaccinated?

Lucky Rescue
March 9th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Yes, rhino is dangerous in tiny kittens, or very old or ill cats. Stress from weakened immune systems and exposure to infected cats bring it on. Sadly, most stray cats with a litter or cats in shelters do get rhino.:( The kittens may be infected before birth.

A healthy cat who contracts rhino will just get the sniffles or sneezing for a week or so. Your other cat may be exposed, but since he is healthy and vaccinated I wouldn't worry about him. Even if he gets it, his symptoms will be mild.

CyberKitten
March 9th, 2005, 04:14 PM
LR is so right! Rhino can kills kittens - entire litters even - in no time. The little ones have nothing to fight it with, sigh!! Is there anyone who could drive you to the vet earlier? What about a cab? an SPCA volunteer who would help?

kayla
March 9th, 2005, 05:23 PM
I might be able to find a car to borrow it is an emergency.. But even if it was Rhino is there anything the vet could do about it? Is there medication for it? She is still nursing and none of them look really sick, just the twitching now and then by the little girl cat.

Also, LR you mentioned canned not dry cat food? I'm giving her both right now (she always has dry out and I give her canned twice a day) is this ok or is there a reason she shouldn't be eating the dry food at all?

canine14
March 9th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Kayla,

PM me. I'll give you a ride. I'm free tomorrow morning.

My first cat, whom I adopted from Lucky ;) , was pregnant when they got her. I took her home when her kittens were three weeks old. Ella was seemingly healthy but the babies already had rhino, probably because she had been an outdoor and largely neglected cat. The runt, Zoey, had already been taken by Jane to the clinic at two weeks of age. At six weeks, she died in my arms, despite having had the best treatments (repeated vet visits) and care. The other two cats shook off their rhino fairly easily but were left with some residual damage: my male, Milo, has permanent conjunctivitis and is treated regularly by an opthamologist at St. Hyacinthe, and my female, Abby, has sinus cavity damage for which nothing can be done (she just snuffles loudly).

Also, the twitching doesn't sit right with me. Maybe Cerebral Hypoplasia? Is this the Momma cat's first litter?

Lisa.

canine14
March 9th, 2005, 07:43 PM
AAHK,

My six-toed Holly just died...and I would be more than willing to adopt the Mama cat and maybe one of her babies (the sick one) if you keep the other baby. I will pay the SPCA their fees. This is the best thing that I can do to honour Holly's memory. I have recently adopted out two more critters so I have space!!!! Also, black cats are the most unadoptable in color according to statistics and as Lucky has posted, she would have a double whammy against her since she is a freshly-finished-nursing mamma.

Lisa.

Lucky Rescue
March 9th, 2005, 07:49 PM
But even if it was Rhino is there anything the vet could do about it? Is there medication for it?

If the cat is showing no signs of secondary infection, I dont' see that there is anything the vet can do for her - just as doctors can't do anything about our colds unless we develope sinus infections or whatever. Ask the vet first.

I personally would be afraid that a vet visit at this point would stress her more, for no benefit. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

I have no idea if anything can be done for the kittens. Litters from strays often have health problems as the mother is usually malnourished and depleted.

Dry food is okay as long as she is eating mostly canned. She needs the extra moisture in it. I would even be giving her kitten food. Much higher in nutrients and calories.

ETA:and I would be more than willing to adopt the Mama cat and maybe one of her babies (the sick one)

I just saw this.....YOU ROCK!!!!!! :thumbs up

CyberKitten
March 9th, 2005, 10:14 PM
canine14, you are a kitty angel! :thumbs up Way to go!! (in providing a great home for mama and her baby!)

I agree with Lucky. Unless you are really concerned with the twitching, they might do just as well at home. Rhino is like a cold in humans. And the kittens will be exposed to other animals there (tho they do get some protection from their mama's milk since she is vaccinated).

I recently read antibiotics would help but since antibiotics cannot possibly help a virus, I have my doubts about that statement. One must be on the look out for opportunistic bacteria that easily infect a sick kitten though. I am guessing this is why some vets would prescribe antibiotics for what is a viral infection.

Keep them warm and make sure they get enough to eat. Supplement with KMR if you see they are not getting enough. Make sure they do not get stressed (and a vet trip might do this - so much for my first idea of seeking someone to drive you there!). Keep the eyes and nose are clean and just give them lots of TLC!

Good luck!!! I hope these kittens get better soon!

kayla
March 9th, 2005, 11:28 PM
Canine140- That would be absolutely awesome if you could give momma cat a home! And one of the babies too! Actually, the boy, the healthier of the two babies, has 6 toes too :crazy: I pm'd you before this if you want to phone for more details.

CyberKitten: "(tho they do get some protection from their mama's milk since she is vaccinated)."

Actually, unfortunately, I don't know if she was vaccinated or not. The lady her dumped her off at the SPCA didn't bother leaving any info on her (even though it was apparently her cat). No age, no name, like she thought the cat would probably just be put down anyways and didnt care :mad: .

As for the vet, I guess I will wait it out unless they get worse, which hopefully wont happen.

Thanks for the advice everone, I really appreciate it, I'm a newbie at all of this!

And thanks again Canine14, you are truly an :angel: !

Prin
March 10th, 2005, 12:04 AM
I have never heard of a vet saying "don't worry about it" on the phone. The vet I used to work for used to scream at us if we said anything like that ever. People's perceptions of situations vary so much that a big thing to one person may be a little thing to a vet, but I don't know any vet that would risk the animal's health over the phone without seeing an animal....

I'd bring them to the vet to be sure. It only costs, what, $37 for peace of mind?

kayla
March 10th, 2005, 08:50 AM
I have never heard of a vet saying "don't worry about it" on the phone. The vet I used to work for used to scream at us if we said anything like that ever. People's perceptions of situations vary so much that a big thing to one person may be a little thing to a vet, but I don't know any vet that would risk the animal's health over the phone without seeing an animal....

I'd bring them to the vet to be sure. It only costs, what, $37 for peace of mind?

I phoned a few different vets and they all said, pretty much, don't worry about it, unless it gets worse of course. I even phoned a vet specializing in cats who said the same thing. But I don't think it was so much they wanted to risk her being sick, they didn't want to risk her being brought in and making her and her babies more sick, kind of like what cyberkitten and luckyrescue were saying. As for the money it's actually free for me since I'm fostering, so that's not an issue, just trying to figure out what's best for them.

I keep on switching between wanting to bring her in and not. I think the mom's sneezing is getting better.. The baby cat seems healthy unless I catch it during one one its little twitch episodes, which freak me out. It almost looks like she has hiccups, but with no noise, is this possible? Could it be as simple as she is drinking her milk too quickly or something? It's just so weird because otherwise she doesn't look sick (other than a little slower to develop than the boy, which I'm sure is just part of the natural differences between kittens in a litter?)