Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

pregnent mother cat still in labor 48 hours later

tami
March 9th, 2005, 06:52 AM
:sad: My mother cat is on her 5th litter....she gave birth to 3 healthy kittens in approx 12 hours. Still looking very pregnant, and continuing heavy breathing, (panting) she gave birth to a stillborn kitten. It was in no way deformed, just stillborn. Now, over 48 hours later the mother cat is acting normal... eating, drinking, walking around but still continues to breath rapidly and still looks like she still may have kittens in her!!!! Is it possible that she is still in labor? And if so, are the kittens ok or will they be stillborn also?? Will she pass them eventually if so????? Help!!!! sincerely, Tami in Mn

wjranch
March 9th, 2005, 07:29 AM
Get her to the vet! From your post I don't think she is able to pass the kittens on her own. You stand the risk your cat. The kittens are most likely dead at this point, but, she needs help.
48 hours is too long.

anniebananie
March 9th, 2005, 08:10 AM
I hope you got her to an emergency vet - she probably has a large kitten stuck in the birth canal! Poor little thing - she could die if she isn't seen to at once. I had to hand rear a litter of 4 kittens once (a long time ago) because of that :sorry:

Lizzie
March 9th, 2005, 08:21 AM
Her poor little body has been put through a lot by making her have five litters---she honestly needs a doctor now!!

Think of it this way: If a human was having twins and one wasn't coming out no one would allow her to just lounge around and wait for hours on end for the other baby to come out!

sammiec
March 9th, 2005, 08:35 AM
This is so sad! Please, get that cat some HELP!

The poor, poor cat! I'm sorry, but when you breed your cat there are risks. I'm surpirsed after 5 litters someone wouldn't understand what to do, and that this cat is in serious need of help. Hopefully for her sake she needs an emergency spay.... :sad:

chico2
March 9th, 2005, 08:46 AM
This is a dire emergency,poor unfortunate kitty :sad: No preaching,but this could soo easily have been avoided.If you care about her at all(since you asked for help,I assume you do)get her the help she needs and have her SPAYED!!

happycats
March 9th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Tami. we would love to hear an update on your cat!!
Is she OK,

tami
March 9th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Just got home from the vet.... good news!!!!! First of all, thank you to those who replied to my crisis, but i found a few of you gave no positive feedback, only preached to me about getting her spayed.... i didnt ask for your opinion on that topic!!!! I found those replies very offensive, and am dissappointed in those who found the answer to the question at hand to be to "get her spayed"..... a little late for that!!!!!!! ANYWAY... maybe i didnt make myself clear in my thread. The mother cat was in NO pain or discomfort, and no discharge from labor was noted. She nursed the three healthy newborns from the get-go, and her appitite, including drinking water was all above normal :) But her rapid breathing, or panting, scared me, and since the last kitten to pass was stillborn, i was paranoid and terrified there might be more!!!!! I am happy to report AFTER BEING VET CHECKED, that there appears to be no signs of kittens in her tummy nor lodged in the birth canal....Mama cat (Blonka) and her 3 newborns are happy and healthy, not to mention spoiled!!!! Thanks again, Tami in Mn

Princesss04
March 9th, 2005, 11:44 AM
So you are not going to get her fixed? Just a question not trying to upset you I am just asking. Do you keep all the kittens or what do you do with them. Is she an inside or outsude cat.

tami
March 9th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Blonka is an indoor cat, and can proudly say, that even tho she has had 5 litters, each and every kitten she has givin birth to, has a happy home... i have all 6 cats from her last batch here in my home, and the ones before that are at my inlaws farm... and all still living!!! Tucker, Twiggy, Melonie, Brown noser, Juda, and Hadossa are all my pride and joys!!!!! And to answer your question...Yes, she will go see the Dr. and get spayed when she fully recovers........ :crazy: tami in mn

chico2
March 9th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Good to hear :thumbs up

twinmommy
March 9th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Wow!! That's awesome!! Sounds like you are a huge family of cat lovers with tons of space for 5-6 cats each.....and your cat has already had 5 litters at an average of 5 kittens/litter??

All placed?? Spay/neutered?? :rolleyes:

Too bad!

That's over 25 cats AT LEAST that you could've saved from being euthanized at your local shelter!! :eek:

I'm glad the cat is o.k., sorry guys, the rest just disgusts me. :sad:

luvmybeagles
March 9th, 2005, 12:12 PM
I had a friend once who had a LOT of cats and never got any of them neutered or spayed. (That most likely explains why there were so many cats!)

These were all outside barn cats, and there was ALWAYS a sign in front of her house saying "Free Kittens". I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say she could easily have 20-30 cats at any given time.

No matter what I said to her, she wouldn't even consider having any of the cats fixed. Now I'm not going to jump on the band-wagon here, wave my flag and declare that anyone who doesn't get their animals spayed/neutered is going to burn for all eternity. (Although all of my animals are spayed). Some people want to breed their animals and that doesn't automatically make them bad people. I don't think it's that unreasonable for a responsible pet owner to want their animal to have babies. As long as they're seeking proper veterinary help and giving their animal proper care, I don't see where it's such a problem. The puppy I just got came from one of those BYB's, and if not for them, I wouldn't have this adorable sweet puppy of mine. I certainly can't afford to buy a pedigree dog.

But I think at some point you have to consider the health of the animal and what is best for them Your cat is on her fifth litter! And when you think your animal may be in some kind of distress, rather than getting her immediately to the veterinarian, you post on a message board and hope someone has the answer for you. This makes me wonder if you even took her to the vet for a check-up once you determined she was pregnant.

Some people I know thought their dog was pregnant. They didn't take her to the vet. It turned out the dog had heart worm! By the time they finally took her to the vets (after the puppies didn't get born "on time") it was too late to do anything for her.

I don't mean to come down on you, or preach at you. I'm sure you love your kitty very much. But I just want to emphasize how important it is to get proper veterinary care for your animals. And after that many litters, your cat may actually be happier if you get her spayed. After all those babies, she just might be tired.

CyberKitten
March 9th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Oh my, the breeding question again! I am very glad to hear mama cat is doing well and will be spayed!! That said, I hope the kittens weill be spayed before being adopted, you have have a contract specifying you will take them back if the new "owner" cannot care for them, and that they will be up to date on their vaccinations prior to placement. Of course you will interview and ddo home visits of every adoptee. Less than that is not responsible breeding. And all that assumes that you are breeding for the betterment of the breed -that this kitty has is an astonishing title holder with many championships awarded by the appropriate Cat associations. (Those are the ONLY lines of a cat a reputable breeder would advance) However, no credible breeder who truly understands the process would have allowed her cat to bear five litters in five years. The possibility of this poor kitty developing more problems has been increasesd exponentially.

I am sure you love your cat and while I do not want to preach, (It is an occupational hazard for me to give advice), please spay those kittens!! And get mama the best vet care so that the added health problems Queens experience - especially if bred by a backyard breeder (You have not stated her breed or whether you show her) - can be properly cared for.

I am with Twinmommy. If this is what it looks like, I dind it very upsetting.

Bearsmom
March 9th, 2005, 01:12 PM
[QUOTE=

I am with Twinmommy. If this is what it looks like, I dind it very upsetting.[/QUOTE]

Ditto. Double, triple, quadruple ditto.

Never mind the "oh I'm so offended" thing, get the cat spayed! Want more cats? Go to the shelter and adopt some!!!!

Princesss04
March 9th, 2005, 01:22 PM
I do not understand if it is an indoor cat than how does it keep getting pregnant. Is this happening by it breeding with her children. I mean she has kittens and than they make kittens, etc. I sure hope not. If you get this cat fixed will you get all the other ones in your house fixed as well. :confused:

sammiec
March 9th, 2005, 02:09 PM
I do not understand if it is an indoor cat than how does it keep getting pregnant. Is this happening by it breeding with her children. I mean she has kittens and than they make kittens, etc. I sure hope not. If you get this cat fixed will you get all the other ones in your house fixed as well. :confused:

:eek: OMG! Please tell me this isn't what's happening!?! :yuck:

heidiho
March 9th, 2005, 02:20 PM
So do all the kittens have homes to go to???

Sneaky2006
March 9th, 2005, 03:00 PM
:eek: OMG! Please tell me this isn't what's happening!?! :yuck:
I have a funny feeling that's exactly what's happening. Those poor babies... talk about a vicious cycle. :sad:

Princesss04
March 9th, 2005, 03:14 PM
I do not know Samantha. All I know is she says these is her fifth liter and she has some of them and I am assuming since this cat is not fixed the others are not as well. So if she has a BUNCH of unfixed cats in her house they are all breeeding. And the mommy cat has had five liters than I am sure they are all breeding. Just my opinion though. GROSS!!! Poor animals. :confused:

Katherine1
March 9th, 2005, 03:15 PM
:confused: OMG just shaking my head here.

Shamrock
March 9th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Very troubling indeed... :sad:

Princesss04
March 9th, 2005, 03:38 PM
I could be wrong it is just something I thought of. I hope I am wrong man do I. I just can not see her wanting to fix one and not all the others. You know what I mean. She let this one have 5 liters. I mean come one why is she fixing him all the sudden. And I can not understand if it is an inside cat how does it get pregnant. So they are not all fixed in the house. The question is where are all the cats inside coming from. :confused:

melanie
March 9th, 2005, 04:09 PM
my god, stories like this jsut make one want to give up :mad: , whats the point of all those poor rescues out there working their butts off so that people can still breed cats (for no other reason than they wanted to, ego stroking i call that). really it jsut baffles the mind, we need some more chlorine i think :rolleyes:

and if you could see what a few young aussie men are doing to stray kittens at the moment :sad: im sure some of those kittens they tourture were given to 'good homes' too. , well at least i can see the type of situations all those kittens come from and how they end up homeless and in danger. its too sad and truly sucks:mad:

Princesss04
March 9th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Mel it is so sad. I see she has not posted since we started mentioning this....ummm makes me wonder. This is so sad. And than she gets upset at us for metioning getting her "baby" fixed. Oh I love my kitty lets let her have FIVE liters of kittens. It also makes me wonder if she has really taken this baby to to the vet? :sad:

CyberKitten
March 9th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Re: It also makes me wonder if she has really taken this baby to to the vet?

I wondered the same thing, sigh!! She may not come back - we all expressed our outrage at the treatment of this poor cat but she did seek advice. Mama should see a vet anyway, even if there was no concern - just as a matter of course. Any Queen who gave birth (and her family) needs to be "vetted" after the kittens are a few weeks old to make sure all is well. I mean, good breeders weigh the babies, monitor them carefully and know what to look for and are set up like a nursery - spending a small fortune on their family. (The one I adopted YY from had a nursery room off her own bedroom and the two rooms shared a bathroom. I was jealous of the equipment and special cat trees and milli beds those kitties had, lol)

I would like to know how mama and the babies are doing tho.

BMDLuver
March 9th, 2005, 05:15 PM
argh argh argh

heidiho
March 9th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Oh my god that is funny,bmd....................

Princesss04
March 9th, 2005, 05:24 PM
BMD are you talking about what I said or what? :confused:

BMDLuver
March 9th, 2005, 05:24 PM
It's my new approach to ignorance. Smiley them! It's not actually working for me but hey, nothing else is either.

Princesss04
March 9th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Oh I see nothing helps some people's ignorance! :D :D :D :D Hey, it is so not helping me. LOL

Sneaky2006
March 9th, 2005, 10:00 PM
She was online long enough to see most of these posts... I highly doubt we're going to get a response from her again...

CyberKitten
March 9th, 2005, 10:53 PM
I am at a point where I wonder why people come for advice if they do not like the response. (I have asked questions and learned information - often info that has corrected something I thought I knew. We all learn).

Which is why I can sort understand a person who does not know of the alternatives taking in a pregnant cat or having their female accidentally become pregnant before they had her spayed (Most vets here still spay when th kitten is 6 mos or so). I doubt it is widely known that a pregnant female can be spayed. BUT five times in five years? (even if this is a titled champion purebred cat - which I doubt since most cat show people have great support networks). That is just soooo sad and frustrating!!!

I am anxious to learn how it all turned out though.