Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kicking dog out of bed

jasemhi
March 8th, 2005, 08:12 PM
My Boston Terrier has been sleeping in our bed since we got her at 6 weeks. She is now 6 years old. I want to kick her out of bed but am worried there will be a negative effect on our little girl, like she feels that she is kicked out of the household or something. What is your opinion?

twodogsandacat
March 8th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Let me know how it works out. Then I can get the one out of my bed.

For Christmas my Girlfriend got me two huge dog beds, cushions and blankets - she asked what I wanted and that's what I wanted. They love the beds but at night as soon as I hit the pillow the little guy shows up on the bed.

I guess if I was serious about it I would force the issue but I really don't have any idea how to do it. Besides he doesn't take up much room.

I'll be watching this thread.

raingirl
March 8th, 2005, 09:15 PM
I was told to put the dog on a short leash, and tie it to a bed leg or something like that, so that the dog cannot jump on the bed. Eventually it will learn to sleep on the floor.

We do not allow our dog in the bedroom. We have a baby gate up in the doorway so he can see and hear us, and he just sleeps on his dog bed right outside the door.

Writing4Fun
March 8th, 2005, 09:41 PM
I'm curious as to why, after 6 years, you suddenly don't want her in your bed anymore.

Our previous dog used to start out in bed with us, but we would stay up talking and apparently were making too much noise for her. :p So after a half hour or so, she'd leave us for the relative quiet of her own bed. The new pup has not been allowed on the bed since day 1 (although I have to continually remind hubby of that rule :rolleyes: ).

Sorry, don't know how to do it at such a late stage without hurting her feelings.

Karin
March 8th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Ciara has had the bed for the past 6 years also. If I kicked her out now that means she would have the couch instead, where I sleep.... so she can have the bed.

Everyone here knows how much I like the couch.

(The bed is so much more comfortable, that's why I let her have it)

Prin
March 8th, 2005, 10:44 PM
We let our big guy sleep with us in the beginning when he was only 75lbs and then he went and got HUGE. When we would kick him off, he'd throw up all night. After a while, we decided to spread ourselves out and he would get uncomfortable, being so huge and all, and he'd go sleep alone on his futon. Now he only comes up when he's having an anxiety attack which is about 1ce/month or when we're not in bed... I'd say just become a toss-and-turn sleeper and he might get the hint or he might just get annoyed...

db7
March 9th, 2005, 08:21 AM
Simple, just stop letting him on the bed. If he gets up, push him off. All he's going to feel is that he is bottom dog. Which he is.

db7
March 9th, 2005, 08:22 AM
Pardon me, HER!

Catt31
March 9th, 2005, 08:47 AM
Brick goes to sleep initially on the floor at the foot of our bed on his blanket, then as soon as we are asleep, he is like an army soldier at night - creeps up on the bed, one foot at a time, soooo quietly.....then...PLUNK! He flops down and goes to sleep. We kick him off in the middle of the night if we need to shift, then he gets back up once we are comfortable again! We use "off" and that seems to work, but he doesn't usually stay!! But I'm ok with that...I like feeling him laying on my feet, keeping me warm!

We tried keeping him off - but he would pace around the bed and keep us up with his nails clicking on the floor....so we gave up!! He gets off when we tell him to, or if it's too hot!! Try the leash thing - it might work!!! Good luck!!!

Dahlia
March 9th, 2005, 09:03 AM
The leash idea sounds like a good one. I would put a nice soft doggy bed on the floor and maybe a blanket or shirt that smells like you. She should soon learn to sleep there. I was debating on letting our puppy sleep with us, but I don't want to make a habit of it, so she's sleeping in her crate. I think I am going to move her crate next to our bed so I can hear her as soon as she wakes up at night, though. It's in the dining room right now and I don't hear her til it's too late.

nymph
March 9th, 2005, 11:50 AM
I've read it in another post from this forum that someone had tried to put a blanket over the dog, and because of the heat the dog gets out of the bed after a few minutes. Perhaps that's something you could try.

twinmommy
March 9th, 2005, 11:59 AM
We had alpha issues, so to be quite honest, I didn't care about hurting her feelings....well o.k. I did :rolleyes: , but I had to kick her out for the greater good.

Don't quote me on this one, but I believe if "getting down" or "off" is becoming an issue if they put up a fight or give you too much "attitude" of any kind, then you, too, are developing alpha issues and the family bed must go.

They got used to that spot, and they'll get used to another, and you can cuddle at another time during the day... :thumbs up

Trinitie
March 9th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Don't quote me on this one, but I believe if "getting down" or "off" is becoming an issue if they put up a fight or give you too much "attitude" of any kind, then you, too, are developing alpha issues and the family bed must go.

I'll quote you on it, and also say that you're most likely right. If a dog sleeps at the same level as you, it's an equal member of the pack. If it tries to show dominance over you, or argues with you, if you tell it to get off the bed, then there is a problem that must be addressed right away, before it gets worse. Smaller dogs are usually allowed up on the bed, so they're the worst to try and get to get off again. You may not even feel them jumping up in the middle of the night. A larger dog, however, can be a real threatening thing if it tries to assert itself. It's never too late to let a dog know it's not the top ranking animal of the pack.

The best practice is to never let it up on the bed to begin with, if you even suspect you may change your mind later on. Start them off on the floor/dog bed right from the get-go.

twodogsandacat
March 9th, 2005, 10:38 PM
I've read it in another post from this forum that someone had tried to put a blanket over the dog, and because of the heat the dog gets out of the bed after a few minutes. Perhaps that's something you could try.

What if the dog is already under the blankets?

OK. This weekend he's out of the bed. Still haven't decide which method to use.

Prin
March 10th, 2005, 12:01 AM
Who would have thought getting a dog off the bed would be so complicated... The Guru's thorough... :thumbs up