Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

aggressive play?

andone
March 8th, 2005, 01:39 PM
my dog is an older, smaller medium sized dog. he is turning 4 years fairly soon, but i have one question.
i play with him, he still bows like a puppy in play, but he also growls, barks, and bears his teeth. he has never bitten me, but he feigns it.; when my mom caught him when he got loose, he bit her. is my dog's growling too agressive? if it is, what can i do to control it?
when a stranger goes to pet him, he doesn't bark or anything, he's a very nice dog, so im not worried about strangers..i just don't want him doing anything that could result in euthanization

heidiho
March 8th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Did you just get him??

andone
March 8th, 2005, 01:42 PM
i've had him for four years, since i was in grade 7

heidiho
March 8th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Ok And this just sta :rolleyes: :rolleyes: rted????

andone
March 8th, 2005, 01:49 PM
no, it's been going on since i got him, but i want to know if i should deter him and the new dog that i have, from growling and baring their teeth.

wjranch
March 8th, 2005, 01:54 PM
You don't mention whether or not he's nuetered. It sounds to me like he's asserting dominance over you. I would suggest asking Tenderfoot about some leadership drills you can do with him. He needs someone to show him (in a gentle way so no one gets hurt) his proper place in your pack.
Good Luck with him.....

P.S. I would suggest you stop playing with him in that way until you have better control of the situation. :thumbs up And maybe you could ask your mom if you and your pup could enroll in obedience classes? The cost is resonable considering you mention euthanizing him if he does'nt change.. give him a chance to change, show him the way!

heidiho
March 8th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Why have u let it go on for so long???

Lucky Rescue
March 8th, 2005, 03:43 PM
When he bit your mom, is that the first time he bit anyone? What did your mom do to catch him? Was it a serious bite, or a warning nip?

Is he obedience trained?

Prin
March 8th, 2005, 03:47 PM
A lot of people believe that rough housing with a dog encourages dominance. I would stop for now until your whole family has asserted themselves to the dog and he stops believing he is the alpha dog. Now it seems he thinks he can take you and your mom, hence the warnings and threats...

Schwinn
March 8th, 2005, 06:05 PM
I also wonder what you mean by "bit"? Was it a bite, a nip, or did he just mouth her? When Daisy and I play, she'll bare her teeth, growl, and mouth me. But I also know that she is not trying to be alpha dog. One way I know this is that when I tell her to "chill", she will immediately relax. Also, if I "yelp" (which I will do once in a while if I think she is getting carried away), she immediately backs off and becomes submissive. Another thing is, I initiate play, not her. She does not exhibit any of these tendancies unless I've initiated rough-housing. And when I decide enough is enough, it stops.

There was a good article around here somewhere about "grumbling" and "growling". That helps to explain things as well..

luvmybeagles
March 9th, 2005, 02:09 AM
My beagle Suzy and I, (just lost her in November, does this pain never end?) used to do some rough and tumble doggy wrestling. She would mock-growl at me and bare her teeth, but we both knew it was only part of the game. But that growl was entirely different than her real growl.

Also with the mock-growl, her tail would be wagging thumpity thump!

Is your dog only playing when he growls, or is this the "real" thing?

andone
March 9th, 2005, 03:48 PM
he's not neutered, but i think he's sterile. when he bit my mom, i think she had scared him, but i doubt it was bad, she was pissed about it though. I've never heard his real growl

heidiho
March 9th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Okkk !!!!! Hmmmm

wjranch
March 9th, 2005, 08:38 PM
It sounds to me like he's asserting dominance over you. I would suggest asking Tenderfoot about some leadership drills you can do with him. He needs someone to show him (in a gentle way so no one gets hurt) his proper place in your pack.
Good Luck with him.....

P.S. I would suggest you stop playing with him in that way until you have better control of the situation. :thumbs up And maybe you could ask your mom if you and your dog could enroll in obedience classes? The cost is resonable considering you mention euthanizing him if he does'nt change.. give him a chance to change, show him the way!

I have edited the original to reflect he's a dog not a pup, and I will ADD Please get him nuetered??!

Prin
March 10th, 2005, 12:38 AM
andone said:
he's not neutered, but i think he's sterile
How do you know he's sterile? That's a funny thing to assume... I'm not sure but I think the pouch hangin' means he's not... ;)

And the stats say an unneutered male is 3x more likely to bite than a neutered male...

andone
March 10th, 2005, 10:02 AM
i have 2 female dogs living with him. neither have had puppies. fairly certain that he is. and at the moment, i dont have the money for the operation. i have a female dog that i am more concerned about getting fixed, because mixed puppies can be hard to place, and she's outside while im at school.

twinmommy
March 10th, 2005, 12:13 PM
I know what it's like to be broke and in school. :(

It's just a suggestion, but, I would borrow the money to get all your pets altered-a.s.a.p.

It'll cost you WAAAAAY more to have a litter of puppies, plus having THEM spayed/neutered. :eek:

Please tell me that's crossed your mind

andone
March 10th, 2005, 12:27 PM
i know that i need to get him fixed, i also know that my female dog, who is going to be of whelping age very soon, is my first priority. i can't borrow the money, because at the moment, my parents can't afford it, and my dogs havent had any shots...and it's very expensive to own a dog in town.

twinmommy
March 10th, 2005, 12:32 PM
do you have any vet schools nearby?

andone
March 11th, 2005, 01:06 PM
one province over