Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help my girls are eating my house!

sib owner
March 8th, 2005, 10:57 AM
I don't post often but I don't know what to do now.My little girls in the last two month have taken to eating my baseboards and assorted trim work around my house.For what reasons I have no idea. First they have every toy you could possibly think of to keep them entertained when I have to go out, which isn't to often.My husband and i have the type of jobs where the babies are never alone longer than 3 hours a day.Now the dogs are six months, so you would think it's not neccesarily a teething thing,just basic chewing, When they are going to left alone I or My husband take them out for an hour or more and work them out good, being Siberian they have energy to burn. So I don't know what to do , Can anyone help! :eek:

LavenderRott
March 8th, 2005, 11:07 AM
I would suggest crate training. At this age, baseboards and trim are only the beginning. Your electrical wires could be next.

mafiaprincess
March 8th, 2005, 11:39 AM
As 6 months my girl is cutting the last 3 teeth that aren't molars. She has been on a 2 week teething fit. Woodwork, the couch, fireplace bricks, the list goes on. She took a piece out of my hand when she jumped off the couch while chewing on me. I thought at 6 months all her teeth were in, but it isn't always the case.

Flyinby
March 8th, 2005, 12:09 PM
My sister-in-law's 2 six month old shelties are doing the EXACT same thing. They don't know what to do either..they chew the baseboards and the walls.. They are crate training them as we speak. I will let you know if it works for them. How awful!

GunnerX
March 8th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Ariel only chewed on a corner baseboard a little bit. But its not too bad. What we did was make sure she has tons of rawhide to chew on. We also get her those chew sticks (made out of digestible pig skin) that we give to her before we leave. We always have rawhide around and she just chews on those. I have a lot of electronics around the house and my xbox controllers all over the place and she just leaves them alone. She only chews the things we give to her.

wjranch
March 8th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Definatly crate them when you go out! Baseboards are replacable, but, are your puppies if they chop into the wiring behind the wall?

Kong toys filled with peanut butter covered kibbles keep their little mouths busy for a bit too. Add them to the crate (at first I would give it to them ONLY when they are being locked in, they will associate the crate with "yummies")

I do not crate my pup, he has confinment issues. But, when I have to leave the house he must go in his kennel (8' round x 4' high Xpen that takes up 1/3 of my living room!) He sqwauks like nothing you've ever heard before!! But, he's learned to settle down pretty quickly, cause I just ignore him and leave anyway. :) I love him and hate to hear him in such dismay that it's hard....but, when ever I feel that, I picture what I might imagine he'd look like toasted from chewing wires. That strengthens my resolve to leave him in the kennel. For his sake, he must stay safe.

heidiho
March 8th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Yep crate crate crate your dog will grow to feel secure and actually like it in his crate mine did,,,,

Daizy
March 8th, 2005, 03:10 PM
When I want to prevent my puppy from chewing on something I find that tobasco sauce works wonders. the first time she licked it .... of course didn't like it and now the smell is enought to put her off. Just dab it with a paper towel onto the object of choice, even wires that you cannot put out of harms way if necessary. It's also cheaper than bitter apple.

Hope it works for you!

TWilson9498
March 8th, 2005, 03:16 PM
lol I know the feeling! It's really not funny, but atleast I'm not going through this alone.. mine even chews the stove! It's crazy :crazy: ... I would offer you suggestions but I'm in the same boat you are... asking people for help before my pup eats the whole dang house!! Good luck!

Gazoo
March 8th, 2005, 08:08 PM
I or My husband take them out for an hour or more and work them out good, being Siberian they have energy to burn. So I don't know what to do , Can anyone help! :eek:

Maybe an hour isn't enough?!?!

melanie
March 9th, 2005, 03:34 PM
i suggest you pen them off in a certain room, and then display your unnacceptace of such behaviour, dogs have great memories. if one of you come home every 3 hours how about you walk them when you get home, even if it is half hour spurts throughout the day, it will offer more entertainment. but i would not try and solve the problem with a crate (cage really) isnt that jsut really putting the problem in the too hard basket?? adress the issue and then crate train if you like. how about using a bit of chilli powder too, my girl charlie has a certain attraction to certain plants in the garden, a bit of chilli powder on the desired object does wonders for a deterant.

also there are lots of entertaining toys, like the kongs, that cna be great. also try feeding them jsut as you walk out of the house, i find it keeps the mind busy for a while and then she naps with a full belly.

but with big dogs you have to remember to excersise to the breed size, with my GSD (35kg, 9yo) i do at least 1hr every morning and lots of run in that hour, for a bigger dog i owuld go 1.5 -2hrs and then again at some later stage in the day.

and remember, they need developed manners, not just a crate, what happens when they need to stay with a relative or such, you must make your dogs flexible and with good manners os they will be welcome everywhere.

you can do it, i know it, i have seen very difficult dogs develop manners, it jsut takes a bit of time, patience and remember to use your smarts, your dogs are :D

mona_b
March 11th, 2005, 08:33 AM
My sister went through this with her Sibes.Only the females though.She has 3..Yet I know of some Sibe owners who never went through this.

What are you doing to correct this?What do you do when you see them doing it?Just nee a bit more info. :)

I have to agree with melanie.Crating is not going to solve this.This is the mistake people make.Puppy chews,put it in the crate.This is not teaching the pup anything.This is why sometimes I'm not crazy about the crate training.And this is why alot of times at even 2 years of age,the dog is still chewing.Why?Cause they were put in the crate every time they chewed instead of being taught and breaking the habit of the chewing.And to me,crating for this is like a punishment,which is not what the crate is used for.Sorry,but that's just my opinion.

Food for thought,chewing puppies means bored puppies.Toys are sometimes not enough.You need to tire them out.But don't work them too hard.Their bones are still growing.They should be going out a few times a day.Especially for walks.

What you really need to do is re-direct them.Also,I would not let them have free run of the house till this chewing stops.They could very well hurt themselves.This doesn't mean crating.It could be blocking off a room.Say the kitchen.That's what I did when my dogs where pups.I raised 2- 3 month old GSD's.I never had a problem with Tron chewing.But Yukon started.So I nipped it in the bud.And he was fine.I re-directed him to the things he could chew.When he did that,I praised like crazy.He learned pretty quick.He even tried to test me.All I had to do was look at him.He got the hint...LOL

sib owner
March 11th, 2005, 09:36 AM
First, thanks to everyone for the suggestions, I don't like to crate train. I tried it with my first sib and she hated it so much it just upset her more,so it's not really something I believe in. I do take my girls outside quite a bit when I am home but there are times when you just have to work. The girls don't have the run of the house I think I may have not explained myself properly,they have there own area in my house that is penned off for them when we do go out.There are no electrical wires in this area.So this is not a problem.I have kongs for them which I fill with either treats or peanut butter,They have nyla bones and other toys to keep them amused and again they are never left more than 4hrs at the most, I do feed them some food also to fill their bellies in hopes that they will sleep while I'm out. I have a acre which is fenced so excercise is not an issue we spend more time outside then in most days. So this is why I don't understand the girls fascination with the trim and baseboards that was what I was really looking for help for. Like if there is a product out there that would deterr them from chewing on these. It's funny I've have dogs on and off most of my life and never experienced this before. And again thanks for all help offered. Annie and Kallie's Mom. :crazy:

mona_b
March 11th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Now that you have filled us in,back to my questions.... :)

What are you doing to correct this and what do you do when you see them doing this?

This will help me a bit more. :)

sib owner
March 11th, 2005, 09:54 AM
I've never actually caught them doing it, because it's done when we're out.I recently purchased a product from the pet store called bitters so i'm going to give that a try and see if it works outside of that I know if I did catch them it would be a loud no and then I would give them something that they are allowed to chew,a kong or a nyla bone.

mona_b
March 11th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Then since you haven't caught them,then yes try the bitter stuff.... :)

meowzart
March 11th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Puppy chews,put it in the crate.This is not teaching the pup anything.This is why sometimes I'm not crazy about the crate training

This is NOT how most people crate train nor is this how a crate is used. If you're going to have an opinion on crate training at least get your facts straigth!

LavenderRott
March 11th, 2005, 12:18 PM
I'm sorry, I should have worded my response better. Crate the dog when you are unable to watch it ie: when you are not home.

While I have read your post and understand your reluctance to crate train, that is fine for you. There are a lot of people who find a crate an invaluable tool in keeping their dogs from doing major household damage and help in housebreaking when they are not home or in some way occupied in such a manner that they just can't keep an eye on the puppy.

My brother is a firefighter. We recently had a conversation about fire safety and pets. He flat out told me that if they were to find an animal in a crate and they were able to safely remove it from the home - they would. However, they will not take the time to try and catch a loose dog or cat to get it out of the house. They are there to save your life and your home - not the family pet.

Just another reason to crate train.

melanie
March 11th, 2005, 03:36 PM
meowzart, buddy get over yourself, were all entitled to an opinion and belief. crate training is not the be all and end all and some of us dont agree. we are not talking about you, your animals, your care, so jsut accept others into the conversation and our own independantly formed opinions..there is nothing more annoying than a person who deliberatly tries to insult people, for fun.

as far as being informed goes, mona has worked with police dogs for more years than she cares to admit :p im sure :p so i am more sure than most things she is very factually correct and has been on a myriad of occassions (and i dont even know who you are so whos facts should i belive, one guess), so perhaps using your manners when speaking to all on this board is advised and actually having an open mind, as you dont know who your dealing with or being openly mean to, and manners are jsut nice anyways arent they- food for thought.

meowzart
March 11th, 2005, 05:44 PM
there is nothing more annoying than a person who deliberatly tries to insult people, for fun.

excuse me?? thats not what I was doing for crying out loud, but it annoys me when people make a broad generalization that this is how things are done and that's why it's bad which is what she was doing! THAT'S good manners??
I am also entitled to my opinion and I don't care how many years of what experience Mona has she was giving out inaccurate information about crating! I could care less if anybody agrees with crating or not but don't give out insulting selfrighteous crap like that.

Which is exactly why i left this board the last time, and will do so again- because the long-timers on this board seem to think that theirs is the only opinion that matters or that is to be believed. Well it's your loss because you're right- you don't know the wealth of experience and knowledge I have and can bring to this board.
Have a nice life!

topaz_n29
March 11th, 2005, 06:13 PM
I can't beleive the arguing that goes on here..i have found that everyone has a wealth of info and tips that we can make a potpourrie of..whether it is from one person or a few tips from a bunch..we are all here to learn...i have had dogs all my life ..pics of me w/them at age 9 mos..i am still learning so much here..and have found a lot of valuable info here from everyone..I have had my puter for 6 years and still finding things that amaze me..lol.
Also at age 60..i am still learning about life..more than ever..
Lets be kind to each other...our pets are listening..lol.
thx for listening..Top. :grouphug:

mona_b
March 12th, 2005, 12:39 AM
This is NOT how most people crate train nor is this how a crate is used. If you're going to have an opinion on crate training at least get your facts straigth!

Here we go.

I DO have my facts VERY straight.

No this is not how a crate should be used,but hello,this is how it does get used.I have heard it on here in the past.I have talked to many people who also have used it this way.And I have told them it was the wrong way of doing it.That is why I said it that way,"puppy chews,puppy goes in the crate"...This is how they explained it to me.And we have had many people in the past come on here and say this is what they have done.

Hmmmm,selfrighteous crap.That's funny

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother.... :rolleyes:

And thank you mel... :p

LavenderRott
March 12th, 2005, 08:10 AM

While this may not be how most people crate train, I assure you some do.

My neighbors have a young border collie. The first 6 months they had him he was in the house, crated when no one was home, outside to go potty, and inside with the family when they were home. Then in November, they got tired of him being underfoot so he started spending longer and longer periods outside when they were home.

By December, he was spending all day outside whether they were home or not. No food, no water, no shelter on an 8 foot chain. The day before Christmas Eve, I called AC. They came, knocked on the door, no one answered and the dog was removed and a sticker was left on the door. They picked the dog up from AC the day after New Years.

Well, the daughter got a kitten for Christmas, and since the dog chases the cat, the dog is crated at all times when he is in the house. And he is not out often, my kitchen window over looks his "run".

BTW, these kids belong to 4-H. That is a group that teaches kids about raising animals, riding horses, training dogs, cooking and stuff along that lines. The kids ride horses but have NEVER taken advantage of the dog training classes that the club has to offer.

And how do I know so much, well, I talk to the daughter when I pick her up on the way to the bus stop. Seems like dad just can't get up that extra couple of minutes early to take her to the bus stop when it is 10 degrees outside.

sib owner
March 13th, 2005, 08:54 AM
When I first posted I didn't think it would start such and angry thread, I was just looking for a few ideas to help with the baseboard chewing, I apolagize to everyone if I was in any way responsiable for the crate training debate, But again I am still looking for any ideas on some thing to put on the baseboards to keep them form chewing. Have a good day, and remember differing opinions make us who we are Human and individuals. :crazy:

Prin
March 13th, 2005, 12:56 PM
My aunt had a newf who chewed everything in the house and she put her outside one day and she wouldn't come back in. For 14 years, she ran around the orchard and came back to be fed on the porch. They only brought her in (forced her in) for severe storms. But that was a newf... they've got that fur...

In this situation I agree with the bitter stuff. They should make a wood-like-but-not-real-wood chewy thing because nothing is better to chew on to a doggy than a piece of wood but it's so dangerous.

mona_b
March 13th, 2005, 01:52 PM
If I recall,my sister actually used a spray.Darn if I can remember the name of it.This was years ago.She sprayed it along the baseboards,and they actually stayed away.

What you can do is talk to someone at the pet supply store.I'm sure they can help you out.I'm sure they are asked many times about wood chewing puppies.... :)

One more thing.NO you didn't start this anger on here.Someone else did.

mafiaprincess
March 13th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Bitter apple and bitter end seem to evaporate after a day or two off of the surface you put them on, whether it is the baseboards or the couch. We took to spraying half white vinegar and half water on everything and it seemed to stay awful tasting for a little longer. But, if you have a determined chewer, they will ignore the taste and chew anyhow, especially if they are teething and in pain.

Ours thought bitter apple tasted bad for about a month, and then overcame it to chew on everything anyhow.

On washable surfaces tabasco sauce works well, we have varying products sparayed and smeared as boobie traps at the moment until she is done teething.

If you bought bitter apple or bitter end at petsmart and find it doesn't work they will take it back. We used bitter end for two days. While being all natural, and people claiming it is a better product, she immediatly after spraying went right back to chewing.

Just keep trying remidies until you find one that works, and remember to do upkeep by respraying surfaces that get chewed the most often, like a favourite spot on the baseboards that you pup is drawn to.

mona_b
March 13th, 2005, 02:58 PM
sib,I saved the pic you posted when you got them.Do you have any recent ones?I'd love to see those pretty girls again.... :thumbs up

Hubby fell in love with them.LOL

sib owner
March 14th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Mona B, I haven't been able to figure out how to resize my photos yet but there is a web page on here of all my babies under sib owner, if your interested.