Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Moving to the country-might just get a puppy...

Meghan_K
March 7th, 2005, 10:45 PM
:party: Hubby and I are moving back to the country. Yay! We willl have 40 acres at our disposal. I haven't had a dog since Seb died, and part of the reason is that we haven't had the time or the room for a dog. I wanted the dog to have the option of roaming around outside, and to have our full attention so.... I am a little unsure of the breed we would want. I was thinking like a golden retreiver or a lab..., any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Seb died because of a genetic defect (he was a german sherpard crossed with a pembroke welsh corgi), so I will be carefully gaurding my heart this time... Anyways, I am not impartial to adoption-actually I would prefer it cos I always think of those poor pups at the rescue shelters, etc., first. *Note: The dog would have to be kitty friendly. :confused: Help! It has been 7 long years since Seb passed away...

mona_b
March 11th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Oh how I envy you.I love the country living... :)

Here are some breeds you can think about.

Great Dane
St.Bernard
Newfie
Great Pyrenese
Boxer
GSD
Border Collie
Wheaten Terrier
Bouvier
Bernese Mountain Dog
Border Collie
Collie

You can find rescues for these breeds.

And yes,A golden or a Lab also sounds great.... :)

Meghan_K
March 8th, 2009, 04:33 AM
Your suggestions were great, and by chance we ended up getting a relatives dog that was a heinz 57 mix, lol. He is a very intelligent older dog named Ringo and he is our snorty pig boy, heh, that's his nickname around here. When he was a pup he would get in trouble for excessive whining so he came up with a snorty piggy grumble that he uses instead of whining ;). He is a wonderful, too smart for his own good type of boy, to our delight. He also likes to chase rc airplanes for some reason, lol.