Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Did you/do you use treats to potty train your pup?

Dahlia
March 7th, 2005, 10:58 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I accidentally posted this on the introduction forum, too. Sorry about the double post.

I am potty training my 8 wk old beagle, Sophie. It is going really well and she's responding well to praise. She normally goes potty very quickly when we go out, EXCEPT when it's raining or in the middle of the night when the ground is wet. Then she just pees and runs to the door. I watch her really well and I usually catch her before she poops in the house, and get her out in time. She has only had one poop accident on the floor, but she does it in her crate once a night, even though I have just taken her out. It's like she tries to hold it when it's wet outside.

I get up and take her out in the middle of the night and like I said, she pees, but she waits til she gets in her crate to poop, no matter how long I stay out there with her and keep putting her in the potty spot and telling her to go potty. When I check on her about 2 hrs later she has pooped in her crate and it's not fresh, it's more like she did it right after I put her back in there. And she doesn't do this during the day unless it's raining.

What should I do? I don't fuss at her because she's just a baby and I know that she doesn't know what I'm talking about unless I catch her in the act. Do you think I should give her a treat for pooping outside at night? Would this give her a little more incentive than just the praise?

Writing4Fun
March 7th, 2005, 11:14 PM
Personally, I wouldn't use treats to potty train. She's only 8 weeks old - just a wee baby! How long have you had her? Make sure her crate isn't too big (should be just big enough for her to stand up & turn around in). Clean it out thoroughly each time with a product that'll remove the scent. Restrict food before bedtime (at least two hours before). Keep on with what you're doing. She'll get it, I promise! :D

Dahlia
March 7th, 2005, 11:23 PM
I've only had her about 5 days. I know she's doing great but I just wondered if there was anything else I could do to help her. I didn't really like the idea of using treats because I don't want her to expect treats every time she goes potty when she's a grown-up. I have her crate divided so that all she has is enough room to lay down and turn around. When she poops in there she gets it all over her paws and wipes it all over the crate and the wire door, so it's a job to clean it up. She manages to take an itty bitty bit of poop and get it all over the place.

I think part of her crate pooping problem might be because she doesn't really like being left in there at night. She usually cries when I go to bed and when I go back to bed after her middle of the night outing. I think maybe she works herself up til she poops. I just put her in there for tonight and first I wrapped her up in her towel so she might feel more secure, like someone's holding her. So far so good, she laid right down and went to sleep. We'll see what happens when I go to bed.

mafiaprincess
March 7th, 2005, 11:26 PM
Using treats made my pup reliable about potty training faster than just praise did. Since dogs may still have accidents up until somewhere around the 5-6 month mark, after that people who use treats wean them off it. If my girl goes potty in the appropriate location and I don't notice she doesn't come find me looking for a treat, she never really did. So that it wasn't always an everytime thing for her anyhow, just most of the time.

Writing4Fun
March 7th, 2005, 11:37 PM
Awwww... She's just a brand new one! How cute! :D I know someone (sorry, I forget who) recently posted about filling a bottle with warm water, wrapping it in the shirt they had worn that day, and putting that in with their puppy. Sorry I can't help with that. My pup never had issues with sleeping at night (she must have been used to crates from being at the shelter). As for the pooping, she'll get better as she gets older. Just restrict her food at night and keep on with the mega-praise when she goes outside. :thumbs up All dogs react differently to treats. Some do become dependent on them. IMHO, dogs don't really want to be "messing" in the house (their den), so I think they'll each get it on their own terms and in their own time, treats or no treats. ;)