Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Boarding Kennel nervious momma

rottnrottz
March 7th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Ok I am a dog trainer (so I should know these answers) and I have to put my new rescue pup into a boarding kennel as I am out of town for 5 days I could take her with me but she gets serverly cars sickand the drive is hours and I dont want to put her throught that.
The Kennel is one I refer my clients to and I know they know what their doing but I am soooooooo nervious leaving her there. She has some major seperation anxiety and is still at an impressionable age and Im nervious someone wont watch the other dogs properly and something could happen and change her fantastic personality. Or because I have only had her 8 wks I dont want her to thinks she is being abandoned again like she has been 3 times in her 10 months of life.
Am I just being a nervious mother? The kennel has a play all day package so I am hoping as she loves to play that shell be to tired to have anxiety? :confused:
What should I do? Put her in to a kennel and stop worrying so much? Give her meds and take the car ride?UUGGGHHHHHHHH
Need some advice
Thank you for listening to a silly, nervious, never used a boarding facility before, mom :sorry:
Rottnrottz

twodogsandacat
March 7th, 2005, 09:19 PM
I was extremely worried when I had to go to Philadelphia on two days notice. Still I boarded my English Pointer whom I had adopted after he had been at the SPCA for almost three months (his time almost up).

I called while I was away and although they assured me he was fine I wasn't convinced. I went to pick him up after five full days and as we went to leave the little bugger looked at me at sat down. He loved it there.

Since then I have boarded him twice for periods of five and six days. No problems.

BTW the kennel offers blankets and an extra walk and of course feeling guilty I go for the works everytime.

rottnrottz
March 7th, 2005, 09:28 PM
Thank you twodogsandacat :)

take care
rottnrottz

wjranch
March 7th, 2005, 10:25 PM
I've had to put my pup in the boarding kennel a couple times as well. I did freak out :) I have spoiled him and he suffers seperation anxiety along with having confinment issues.

When I went to bring him home, he was sooo happy to see me, but, also having a blast! He was a big hit with the kennel owner and her husband (they're partial to Dobe's) and of course they spoiled him more.

I think it is one of the best things you can do for your dog. Put her in the kennel....she will get exposure to other dogs and humans (all nice to her) and that is always a good thing for young rescues.

Good Luck.. and don't worry she'll love it! :thumbs up

tenderfoot
March 8th, 2005, 10:23 AM
I wonder if you need to get over your fears more than she does. Since it is a kennel that does all day play I think you are fine - if it wasn't then I would say go find one that is.
You would do well to take her there one or two times before you leave - see if you can leave her for a couple of hours to get her used to it and to get you feeling better. That way she will understand that you come back and you will see what a great time she is having.

Prin
March 8th, 2005, 07:46 PM
I'm on the other side of this... I know that if I leave one of my dogs anywhere he will throw up the whole time and have anxiety attacks. He does it when we go sleep at a cottage or anywhere that is not home. The other one would be ok despite being abandoned 4 times, she's just more solid and less dependent. We bring them everywhere-- we drug the anxious one as he paces in the car and gets frantic. We gave him atavet when we brought him to PEI (12 hr drive) but they say gravol is not as strong and usually lasts about 3 hrs. Ask the vet. I know I would not be able to hide my nerves from my dog and it would be way worse as a result. The only kennel I will ever leave my dog at is my own kennel that I will hopefully have one day.

What about leaving the dog at a friend's house?

Lise
March 20th, 2005, 11:42 AM
I have a lot of clients with rescue dogs,most of whom do have some issues with separation anxiety.I have a dane that comes in regularly who's owner put her on clomicalm the first few times she came in.This dog had extreme separation issues at first so the medication , extra attention and excercise worked well for her.she is now no longer on the meds and has no problems being kenneled.For most dogs the extra t.l.c works fine though,usually the owners stress more than the dogs