Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How can I save my dad's pooch???

meb999
March 7th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Hey everyone!

you guys are my last resort. I hesitated before posting this, because I was hoping my dad would come here for advice on his own...I know we aren't supposed to post about other people's pets....

Here's the story (I'm sorry if it's long, but I want to give all the info):
My dad has a 6 month old Springer Spaniel. He bought him on impulse at a petshop (I know, I know). Harry is a wonderfull dog -- he's EXTREMELY bright (got housebroken in a few days...) and very, very affectionate. I adore him. But, he's a typical Springer. He's got alot of energy. Also, I believe he was taken away from his mom too soon and never learned bite-inhibition. He's very mouthy.

I've babysat him quite a bit (my dad calls it boot-camp!!) and I've gotten the bitting down to just mouthing. He doesn't bite down, but he always wants to have our hands in his mouth. Only when he gets really excited, sometimes he bites down A BIT (he's NEVER broken skin).

My father has told me on quite a few occasions that he's thinking about giving Harry up for adoption because of the mouthing. I've tried to talk him out of it...but lately he's adament...he's already contacted Springer Rescue.

What can I do? How can I convince him to give this wonderfull dog a chance. Harry is VERY attached to my dad, he follows him everywhere, I'm worried that if my dad gives him up, Harry will take it really badly.

I've told my dad that we would adopt him. My hubbie and I already love him, but my dad doesn't want us to. He says if he gives him up, he won't want to see him anymore.

I need advice, how can I convince my dad to give Harry a chance????

Here's a picture of him sleeping on my hubbie when he was 4 months old

Lucky Rescue
March 7th, 2005, 09:02 PM
He says if he gives him up, he won't want to see him anymore.

I mean no disrespect, but this is very selfish of your father. HE bought this dog on impulse, now he's decided he will get rid of him rather than take the time and energy necessary to deal with and train a high energy hunting dog.

He needs to consider what's best for this dog, who has no choices, other than just what HE wants and how HE feels.

If you father must have this dog out of his sight, then I suggest that you take the time to find the poor puppy a perfect home, with someone who understands and loves this breed. Please make a contract and charge a fee. IF he is not neutered, have that done first. Most rescues dont' take dogs from owners who are giving them up for frivolous reasons. They need all their resources to help strays and animals on death row at shelters.

I really think this puppy would be happier with someone who really wants him. He's only a puppy and will easily bond with new and loving owners. I'm sorry you can't be the ones to take him. This is quite unfair to the dog.:(

twodogsandacat
March 7th, 2005, 09:13 PM
I have to agree with LuckyRescue. It is a selfish stance. He can have no doubt that you would be a perfect doggie parent. How could he deny both his babies the best that he can offer them. Work on him.

Good Luck

meb999
March 7th, 2005, 09:15 PM
:sad: I cried a little reading your post Lucky ... I wish he would give him to us...he's such an amazing dog...all of this really breaks my heart --I can't even tell youhow much.
Here I am trying my best to convince my hubbie to rescue a pooch because there are so many out there that need homes, and my dad is giving one away..because he didn't do his research...

Harry IS neutered and up to date on shots, he's gotten nothing but the best vet care. If my dad does give him up, he'll be giving him to Springer Rescue...so they'll charge an adoption fee...

happycats
March 7th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Meb please talk your Dad into giving him to you !!
I worry he will fall into the wrong hands, he may be trained and used for hunting :eek: Sorry if I offend any hunters out there, but all the ones I have met with dogs, have them outside in runs 24/7 unless they are hunting!! To me this is no life for a dog, they are social and want to be part of your family!

Please try, I know you would give him a loving home !

twinmommy
March 7th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Maybe it's too late for this, but the mouthing is a really easy thing to work on...it's very common in puppies that were taken too early from mom...

meb999
March 7th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Maybe it's too late for this, but the mouthing is a really easy thing to work on...it's very common in puppies that were taken too early from mom...

I've tried a few things...Harry doesn't respond to correction (vocal correction, I've NEVER used physical correction...) The only way I've gotten the bitting down to just mouthing is by stopping play and ignoring him for a minute when he bites -- being ignored REALLY bothers him. And it has worked, but he still mouths...is this normal? I've read that Springers are just very mouthy dogs...I'd definetly be willing to train him some more...maybe I should bring him to my house for a few weeks to try and train him some more???
What else can I try to stop the mouthing?

lilith_rizel
March 7th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Ask your father if he would mind you taking him for 2 months, so you can work on his behavior. Maybe he will agree to that.

twodogsandacat
March 7th, 2005, 10:01 PM
I would love to know how to fix mouthing. Our dog had to figure it out for himself.

Dalton used to be a mouther and the more excited he was the more he would mouth. We used to shove stuff in his mouth as he greeted us at the door.

Then one day as he was running to greet us at the door he stopped dead in his tracks...turned around and ran back to his toy pile...grabbed a toy and came to greet us.

He does this everyday as I come through the door. He knows he has a problem but he always frantically looks around for something to put in his mouth before coming to the door. Unfortunately sometimes it's not always one of his toys but one of my shoes or a throw blanket but still he tries.

I agree ask your father for a trail period.

twinmommy
March 8th, 2005, 11:38 AM
As long as we are talking mouthing and NOT biting....I would place four fingers on the snout, thumb underneath and push away, firmly and say "no" in a low voice. This mimics the action the mommy would do, usually around the 6 week mark up to 12 weeks and is why it is so common in puppies that have been taken early.. :(

I found great success with this, you don't even need to reward them, just correct them. The results were quite quick, as I found in anything that I could imitate of the "momma dog".... :thumbs up

meowzart
March 8th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Tell your dad you will 'foster' the dog until you can find a home. heheh
Once he's yours... I think there are other reasons your dad doesn't want the dog - mouthing isn't a big enough reason.

We had an ESS - she was always very mouthy - couldn't pet her without getting slimed! lol

But very happy and loving also.

Keep her!

Luvmypit
March 8th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Have you tried yelping like a puppy. When he bites yelp or simulate a dog cry. Worked wonders with capone. Even now when some friends come over they rough house with him and if he gets rough they make an almost shocked noise,,, you know the one where you breath in. A shocking kinda suprising noise. Hard to explain. Anyways we started with a simple yelp.
It teaches them at what levels does his mouthing start hurting.
And to your father I say you be very blunt with him. Tell him how disapointed you are in him and that you advocate against people like him and then hit him with the poor dog speach. About how much he loves you and would do anything to make him happy and that this is part of being a puppy.

doggy lover
March 8th, 2005, 04:52 PM
It is a shame people buy dogs like this, my neighbours had a dog just before christmas now its gone. I guess taking it out for potty was too much for them and you wonder why the shelters are full. :mad:

chico2
March 8th, 2005, 05:04 PM
That is really sad,what I would do,I would let your dad give her to The Spaniel Rescue,then I would go and adopt her...the only way you can be sure she gets the home she deserves is if she stays with you.
People might adopt her,learn about her mouthing and bring her back...and then what?
Please try to take her,your dads selfishness would have to take a back-seat to the dog,she is the innocent one,she has no choice...but to go wherever people decide,whether she wants to or not,so please take her,you already love her :love:

doggy lover
March 8th, 2005, 05:33 PM
why won't your Dad let you have him instead of sending him to a rescue?

twinmommy
March 8th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Tell him that you'll bring her/him to the rescue for him....heh heh :evil: ;)

meb999
March 25th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Hey everyone!

My father called me last week and told me he was bringing Harry to the SPCA. I talked him into giving him to me for a few weeks (woohoo). I've had Harry now for a week and he's learning his manners like a champ. I am proud to say that he now walks well to heel, barely mouths anymore, barely jumps up...he's learning so fast it's incredible.

My dad called and told me he misses him terribly and can't wait to have him back! I think he wants him back next week. Although I'll be REALLY sad to see him go, I'm thrilled that my dad is going to keep him.

Thanks for all the advice for the mouthing, it has really helped!

Here's a pic of him...isn't he just the cutest??!?

maddoxies
March 25th, 2005, 11:40 AM
WOO HOOO !!

So glad to hear that Harry is doing well. As much as you will miss him, atleast he is going back to your dad and not to a shelter or ............

We have our paws crossed that Harry will retain his training when he is back with your dad, please keep us posted

Princesss04
March 25th, 2005, 11:43 AM
I am so glad that he wants the dog back. They are such good dogs. Meatloaf is a Brittany Spaniel and I could not ask for a better dog! :D

mona_b
March 25th, 2005, 11:51 AM
You seem to be doing a great job with Harry. :thumbs up

But please make sure your dad also keeps up with it.Show him what you have been doing with Harry.His training needs to continue.

He is a very handsome boy. ;)

A family friend who shows his Afghan,has a sister with 2 Springers.They are the black and white ones.Princess and Duke.