Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help

Bearsmom
March 7th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Hi all you experts: Quick question. Bear is a (formerly) male dog. We are going out on Wednesday to meet (hopefully) his new housemate, a 9 week old lab mix.

Question is: Is it better to get a male or a female? Bear is good with most dogs (except small breeds), and I remembered someone saying something about a female pup being better for a male dog household.

Anyone?

BMDLuver
March 7th, 2005, 02:52 PM
As the new addition you are considering is a puppy, then there is already a hierarchy established between the males. It should not make a difference male to male unless your present male has alpha issues with males.

Lucky Rescue
March 7th, 2005, 02:53 PM
If you have a choice, the opposite sex is always a good idea, to lessen the chances of fighting for dominance as they mature. Females are in general worse than males for this, depending on breed and personality.

Of course some dogs/dog breeds are less likely to fight, but it never hurts to do everything possible to make sure things go well!:)

Bearsmom
March 7th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Thanks for all your valuable information! Bear doesn't have many issues (other than a tremendous food desire :), so he should be alright. The one we're looking at is a large female lab mix. They meet on Wednesday, so here's hoping all goes well.

twinmommy
March 7th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Just get a cat.. as well as the new dog..that usually settles the "who rules the roost" issue!! :thumbs up

Bearsmom
March 7th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Miss Aerial, the resident 6 lb diva-cat rules the roost with one raise of her paw. She controls Bear like you wouldn't believe!

Prin
March 7th, 2005, 05:03 PM
I was told by a trainer out in BC that with 2 dogs, if you really assert yourself, they shouldn't fight over who is the alpha dog because it's YOU. I didn't believe it at first because my little one was so dominant on the big one (she was older and more skillfully viscious) but after 2 years together, it's hard to tell. The little one can drop the big guy on his back but if he asks, she'll get off his bed.

It's much easier to settle the dominace issue if the sexes are opposite and if the younger one is smaller and less dominant. If the younger one is more dominant, there could be trouble. Older dogs don't like it when young dogs try to push them around.

Since the second one is a puppy, there shouldn't be any problem. Just be aware of bad behavior on the first dog's part because he's getting less attention than he's used to. :sad: Also he might be snappy for a while as he gets used to the jolt of energy of the little puppy bouncing around...