Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Introducing 2 male cats???

lilith_rizel
March 7th, 2005, 01:37 PM
How would I go about that. My mother has a male cat, and we are pretty sure Ferox is a male too. My mother has already welcomed Ferox into her home. She just doesn't want spraying or urination.....

Lucky Rescue
March 7th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Really, adult neutered males are often easier to introduce than females who can be MORE territorial than males!

No use trying to introduce them until Ferox is neutered and given a clean bill of health.

Has this been done?

lilith_rizel
March 7th, 2005, 04:02 PM
I have been trying to contact our vet, but with the staff all being military......... (they are worse at doing their jobs sometimes). I try all day long an no answer, just a machine. I leave message after message. They never return my calls. My mother said that she will take me to the vet she uses when I get back. She having someone pick me up next Tuesday, and taking me all the way back to my lovely little hometown..... I can't wait to see country again. So far, James has seen only 1 dirt road in this state.....

So, Ferox should be checked out by next Friday for sure. The vet my mom goes to is a small vet. He runs it out of his own home, and only has 1 or 2 employees, so it is very reasonable on prices, and he does a wonderful job. Mom has know him for years. He even has reputable breeders that have their pups brought their for all their shots before they are given to their new owners.

lilith_rizel
March 8th, 2005, 11:22 AM
Lucky,

My mom said her cat is neutered. And I also told her what you told me. She was happy to hear that. I will be getting back to Minnesota next Thursday afternoon sometime. When I do get home, I will make a vet appointment for Ferox to have him checked out, shots given, and to schedule a neuter if he hasn't already had one. Now another question, what do I do if Ferox has FIV???

Lucky Rescue
March 8th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Now another question, what do I do if Ferox has FIV???

That is a possibility. We do see it sometimes in the battered intact males we get.

FIV is spread through deep bite wounds or blood transfusions. It does not spread casually, that is, through shared food, water or litterboxes.

Cats with FIV can often live a long time after diagnosis if kept indoors and fed a good and nourishing diet.

But it's best to wait and see the results of the test. Keeping my fingers crossed!!

lilith_rizel
March 8th, 2005, 02:53 PM
So if Billy and Ferox get along, they can live in the same house?

Lucky Rescue
March 8th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Possibly they can live in the same house, if they don't show aggression to each other and depending on their personalities. If both are laid back and non-aggressive, I would risk it. Some people would not.

They need to be introduced very slowly and carefully. Don't even think about doing it til Ferox is neutered and all his male hormones are completely gone.

Even then they should be separated when no one is home for awhile, just to be sure.

But you don't know if this cat has FIV or not, and he may not. Please look into a certain test there is that can absolutely determine if he has the virus. The regular testing that is done can show false positives!

lilith_rizel
March 8th, 2005, 03:59 PM
How do I know if my vet provides the one that won't show false positives?

And I don't plan on the two meeting each other until Ferox is neutered. It will be 1-2 months before Ferox will be allowed to leave my room, without supervision. And atleast 2 weeks until he is allowed out at all.....

Lucky Rescue
March 8th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Also, any cat who has previously been vaccinated against FIV will show a positive test! This vaccine is not very popular for this reason.

And really, with a male cat who has been fighting, I would be more worried about the presence of leukemia than FIV.

It's not likely your cat has been vaccinated, but it's possible. As for testing, here are a few paragraphs taken from an FIV site:
----------------------
For FIV, most veterinarians use the ELISA (Enzyme Linked Immunoabsorbent Assay) test, which detects whether FIV antibodies are present in the blood - not whether the virus itself is present. As a result, the test is completely unreliable for cats under six months of age who may have received FIV antibodies from their nursing mother, but may never have been exposed to the actual virus. For adult cats, because of the recent introduction of the FIV vaccine, there is now the possibility a positive test result means a cat has been vaccinated, not infected.

For FeLV, again the ELISA test is almost always the initial test used. In contrast to FIV, the FeLV ELISA does not detect antibodies, but whether the antigen of the virus is present in the blood. In other words, a positive test result indicates the presence of the actual FeLV virus in the blood.

But, the test is extremely sensitive and is prone to false positives from improper handling. In addition, a cat in the early stages of FeLV infection can still fight it off. The disease does not take permanent hold until it enters the cat's white blood cells, which only another type of test, the IFA test (Immunofluoresence Assay, also known as the Hardy test) can determine. The IFA test must be performed at a lab and is more expensive. Consequently, if a cat appears otherwise healthy, a positive ELISA test should always be confirmed with an IFA test. Only if other severe pathological symptoms of FeLV are present should an initial positive ELISA ever be relied upon alone.

lilith_rizel
March 8th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Thanks Lucky, You have been more than helpful

Shamrock
March 9th, 2005, 03:52 PM
I agree with Lucky regarding the male/female intros. This is the opposite to what I had always thought, but found it true in my own experience.

I recently just introduced two adult neutered males, and was suprised at how easy the transition was. I started out very slowly, expecting big problems, but neither appeared to have issues at all. (both laid back cats)

Some years ago, my adults son's female cat was here. There was a huge dominance issue - the two spayed females simply wouldnt adjust to each other. In spite of all the time and effort I gave it, I had to concede defeat.

Good luck with Ferox and best wishes for his testing.