Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Poodle Personality

Daizy
March 7th, 2005, 01:14 PM
I have an adorable 6 month toy poodle. I was just wondering if anyone has problems with their poodle being strong willed? Or is she just beginning to see how far she can go, i.e. like a young teenager? My groomer says she is probably a dominant female as she has a lot of 'fun' with her at grooming times! She is only 6 months so maybe I am expecting too much, or maybe I am too lenient with her - which could be true too :-)

Any comments on poodle personalities would help. But apart from that she is totally good natured, intelligent, wonderful and I woudn't do without her.

Thanks in advance.

CyberKitten
March 7th, 2005, 02:12 PM
I had a poodle that lived to be 17. I would not say he was strong willed. Eager to please and a joy are two characteristics that come to mind. of course, poodles are also hyper - at least he was - hyper in the sense that he was a bundle of energy.

My guess is she is just being an adolescent. Is she spayed yet? My fellow settled down as he got older (like all puppies) and once he was neutered though he was great even before neutering to be frank.

He was very loyal and playful even into "old age" - a kind dog who got along easily with all the other critters in our family. Mind you, he was spoiled big time. Poodles can be barkers if you let them. Ours wanted to be and he did bark when someone he did not know arrived at the house. Then, he wanted to play with the aforementioned unknown person, lol

Poodles do not shed which is great but of course you have to take them to a groomer at regular intervals or learn to do it yourself.

I think you just need to give him time. They are extremely easy dogs to train - they are very intelligent!

glasslass
March 7th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Over the last 38 years, I have had 4 poodles - all very different individuals. They have all been super loving and super intelligent. They are also very adept at reading body language and knowing how far they can go. They will wrap you around their paw before you even realize it. Fluffy and cuddly, it's easy to spoil them rotten and they love it. Two of them have been little clowns with a keen sense of humor and loved to perform and be center of attention. One hated to be laughed at. One was super obedient. Two would talk back at me. One was super protective. One welcomed other dogs staying in the home and another became jealous of the attention they got. One nurtured a kitten and a puppy. Two were intact. As I became more knowledgeable, the last two were neutered. Neutering definitely makes a better pet when it comes to poodles. Intact, they think they can take on big dogs. They can't and they will be the ones hurt. I went through that with my second one. First time, he was injured. Second time, I was bitten by the other dog when I jumped in to rescue him. Both times, it was his fault. My present Den-Den was my "wild child". I was in tears on several occasions when he just seemed defiant, willful and stubborn. He needed attention, good or bad. He settled down with love and maturity and now is soooo good. What I'm saying is, they are all individuals with personalities that are distinctive from other poodles. I loved them all! :love:

Daizy
March 7th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Thanks so much for your input ~ I was just reading another article that said that toy poodles take a little longer to train. I think as you suggested it is the adolecent time for her, I have read something about that before, I was just wondering if I was doing anything wrong in her training as I'm not a disciplinarian in my training I prefer to use praise but she does get away with alot ~ but puppies will be puppies, but the last few weeks she's seems to be pushing things. She hasn't been spayed yet. My vet said that with little dogs he likes to leave it an extra month, which will be at the end of this month. I was going to have it done the first week in July though as I have that week off work and I thought I might like to be with her all the time after the op. Thanks again, I guess consistancy will be the order of the day until she gets over her 'teenage years'.

Daizy
March 7th, 2005, 02:54 PM
"They will wrap you around their paw before you even realize it."

Well, she's certainly got that one down pat!

Thanks again :)

Prin
March 7th, 2005, 06:06 PM
If a dog seems strong willed, it could be because it thinks it will get away with things by frustrating you or by ignoring you. You just have to be assertive and VERY consistent. If you say sit, the dog has to sit. You don't say sit and not follow through. Dogs take advantage of people that they consider submissive and tolerant.

Daizy
March 8th, 2005, 04:14 PM
I was actually very firm with her last night and it worked! Though I could only give her the silent treatment after for about 5 minutes as she is so lovable. Thanks again. :)

glasslass
March 8th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Pictures? :)

Daizy
March 10th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Here she is on my bed eating my pj's - oh well, I'll buy some more!

glasslass
March 15th, 2005, 02:15 PM
What a sweetie! I love her natural tail!

Daizy
March 15th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Yes, I'm so happy I kept her tail, it's such a joy to see it wagging and curled up with happiness, and the way her hair falls on it, it looks like a feather ~ very pretty.