Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

another kind of food stuffing for toys?

dogcatharmony
March 7th, 2005, 10:42 AM
just wondering if anyone can give me an allternative food stuffing for dog toys. i am allergic to peanut butter so that is definetly out of the question!!!!!! and my puppy doesn't like many of the dog bone treats ( don't know why she is so picky lol).

Katherine1
March 7th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Besides peanut butter I also use cheese whiz and mashed potatoes. When you make the mashed potatoes make them a little stiffer than you would when you make them for the table - that way it does not make so much of a mess when you put them in the kong. Molly loves it. :)

raingirl
March 7th, 2005, 11:08 AM
my boyfriend's sister in law is allergic to nuts, so we don't use any nuts for our dogs toys for that reason.

Have you tried "pea butter". It's made from peas instead of peanuts, since they are the same family. There are a few brands out there, and all are made in nut free factories. My boyfriend's sister in law suggested it to us. It is made from roasted golden peas. Tastes almost like peanut butter! Don't get the Soy nut butter though, because soy isn't good for dogs. There are also other nut butters available if you aren't allergic to them (walnut, almond, etc).

We use that, cheese whiz, plain yogurt, apple sauce, and anything you can puree! Our dog is allergic to beef, so most of the stuff we put in kongs etc is veggie based. I like using sweet potato mash.

Lizzie
March 7th, 2005, 11:08 AM
I think Raingirl has a few recipies as her little guy is allergic to many things. You may check with her :)

Lizzie
March 7th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Oops hehe! There she is now :) And I made a mistake about Odin having allergies...my bad...sorry about that Raingirl :)

happycats
March 7th, 2005, 11:09 AM
I heard they love cream cheese as well ! or cream cheese with liver wurst(you buy it in the deli or cold cuts section of grocery store)

mafiaprincess
March 7th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Careful about how much dairy you feed, or you may get a few days of the runs.

My little girl loves cheese wiz, sour cream, mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, canned meat, leftover dinner veggies or meat, yogurt etc.

I try to switch up what I stuff in her kong, and layer with something packable and something looser to create multiple layers. I try to put meat closer to the bottom since she likes it best and she will spend more time digging in her kong to get it. Freezing it overnight also makes it last longer, and help with messier foods.

WeeZee
March 7th, 2005, 04:08 PM
My sweety LOVES dehydrated lung in her Kong!

Writing4Fun
March 7th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Kong-sicles are the best! Whatever you put in it, make sure you add a little water or some other liquid, and then freeze it (just wrap the whole thing in cling wrap before putting it in your freezer :p ). Keeps 'em busy for hours!

I don't really like giving Phoebe people-food. She's already pre-disposed to thieving from us :evil: , so we need to keep her exposure to the yummy stuff to a bare minimum. So, we just use canned dog food (the only time she gets any), and her usual training treats (plain ol' hot dogs - those don't count as "people food" ;) ). Smoosh the canned food into the little whole at the bottom, and then around the inner walls. Pop a few treats into the middle. Then leave a nice dog biscuit sticking out of the top a fraction of an inch as a teaser. Pour a little water in for good measure. Freeze the whole thing overnight. Voila! :D

dogcatharmony
March 7th, 2005, 05:27 PM
okay this is too funny!!!!!!! i seriously think my dog is spending too much time with the cats and is beginning to think she is one of them. thankyou for the suggestions but i have found that my puppy DOES NOT LIKE POTATOES OR CHEESE!!!!!! she turns her head away ( sort of how i would be with liver). it seems to be getting hard to find snacks........i guess in her world knuckle bones rule. :confused: