- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


Renal Failure

March 7th, 2005, 09:07 AM
Has anyone gone through this with their cat?

Our cat is 16 and is diagnosed with this. This weekend he has taken a turn for the worse. He is not eating, can't walk right, loss of bladder control and very lethargic. The vet gave us no clue as whether it is related to the disease or not. I wonder if it was more humane to have him put to sleep rather than to go through the process only to find the outcome not good. Money is a factor too. :sad:

When deciding factors were made when you decided to have your cat put to sleep?

March 7th, 2005, 09:37 AM
My old cat Rachel had kidney failure. I decided to have her put down, as she lost so much weight, was lethargic, yellow eyes, wouldn't eat or drink anything, and was 18 years old. Vet advised me they could try surgery with a shunt, but chances of her survival were very slim. It was an extremely difficult decision, but she was in obvious pain, and it was the most humane thing I could do for her.

It's a very tough decision, but an entirely personal one.

March 7th, 2005, 09:40 AM
I am so sorry to hear about your 16 year old cat.
I had to make this decision about my 7 year old cat, I knew by the way she was acting that she was dying, So I made the appointment as a euthenasia, As my vet informed me that she always does an thorough exam before she puts them to sleep anayway. (and she had liver failure so had to be PTS).

That being said, I feel that once their quality of life is not there, that you must do the humane thing. Think about the animals feelings before your own.

I also have a cat who will be 17 this spring, so i know how you feel, as he is starting to slow down quite a bit lately, so I am sure I will be faced with the same thing as you soon, but I take comfort in the fact that we have provided him with a warm and loving home for the past 16 years, and feel he has enjoyed a happy and heathy life thus far.

My thoughts are with you, and I trust you will make the decision that's best for your furry loved one.

March 7th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Iím sorry to hear this. :sad: It is a hard decision only you can make. I look at the quality of life and what would be best for the animal.

His symptoms are related to kidney failure (kidney inability to process waste) and he is slowly being poisoned by the waste the kidneys are unable to filter out.
If you make a decision to treat him, please take him to the vet asap, putting a cat on IV for a while will help. In addition, you would also need to give SQ fluids at home, for the rest of his life and whatever you vet feels its necessary. I know lots of cats that live with chronic kidney failure, depending how bad it is.
Also if you make a decision not to treat him, please make an appointment as soon as you can.

March 7th, 2005, 09:09 PM
I just lost Holly, my 1.5 yr. old polydactyl, to acute renal failure. Once she took a turn for the worse, her quality of life diminished and I chose to have her PTS and released with dignity. I noticed with Holly that one of things that let me know she was ready to go was when she couldn't walk properly anymore. Also, from experience, the sub-Q fluids and the whole regimen of medication is very invasive and very hard on the cat.

I am so sorry that you are going through this. I truly am.

Lisa and Holly (cat angel)

March 7th, 2005, 09:58 PM
I'm going through exactly the same thing with my cat at the moment. He's not good. I know how you feel and I'm so sorry.

I just wanted to ask people who have had their animals put to sleep a question. Will the vet come to your home? I don't think I could face not being at home...

March 8th, 2005, 06:16 AM
I had our 17 year old cat put down last year with Kidney cancer (very rare in cats, but slow growing - so had the signs of kidney failure) She lost a great deal of weight. Towards the very end she lost bladder control - then started falling over - so we thought her quality of life was very poor and decided the time had come to give her a dignified end. :(

March 8th, 2005, 06:30 AM
anniebananie What you wrote in your post is exactly what was happening to our little guy toward the end. He didnt go to the point of no bladder control but the loss in weight and his falling when taking a step was hard to watch. He was sixteen years old also.


March 9th, 2005, 10:29 AM
What exactly is Renal failure? becuase this sounds exactly what happened to my cat asrielle. She had stopped eating and drinking and lost tons of weight. I had her at the Vet through the day on IV and would pick her up on my way home so she could sleep at home. She was my first pet so I really had a hard time with this. I kept thinking she would get better. It came to the point where I knew she wasn't getting any better and I knew I would have to make that decision I was on my way to the Vet with her because she didn't look well at all and she died on the way. I still feel so sad that maybe she would have been happier if I had not bothered her and let her die at home instead of distressing her by putting her in a hot car. This was last May and I miss her sooo much. I'm sorry this is so long.

March 9th, 2005, 10:36 AM
I went through this with my cat Smokey when he was 18- who I had hand reared from kittenhood when I was a teenager. It was very tough and you will be in my thoughts!! :grouphug:

March 9th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Renal failure means that the renal system is done for, usually beyond repair. Without a renal system, you animal cannot remove the toxins from their blood. They cannot produce urine. Basically it's the same as a human who has diabetes, and needs dialysis. Dialysis is used to remove toxins from the blood because the kidneys can no longer do it. In humans, the only option is for a kidney replacement.

March 9th, 2005, 12:08 PM
This link should tell you all about renal failure - or kidney failure.

October 31st, 2006, 01:53 AM
I was wondering, can you get insurance in Canada for your pet if they require
kidney dialysis?

October 31st, 2006, 12:56 PM
Only if you get it before they're diagnosed, I think.

kashtin's kin
October 31st, 2006, 08:56 PM
You face a difficult decision that many have pointed out only you can make. Last year 4 of our quite senior cats became ill; one died quickly at home, and the other 3 had somewhat lingering illnesses.

For me, when your critter pals are having trouble getting around/eating/excreting...the quality of life is just not there. It's agonizing, but when you get to the point that the animal is on the verge of really suffering...

Many vets will make a house call to euthanize; I've had this done, and I think it's nice when possible. Strength, and good luck; decide with love...