Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

At what age should my pup have formal obedience training?

Dahlia
March 7th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Is it necessary to take her to obedience school, or can I just do this at home? She's too little right now, just wondering when was the optimum time. She's a beagle.

les
March 7th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Hi,

I think you should take your pup to formal obedience training. I'm currently going through grade 1 with my 9 month old puppy and it's great. I thought that I could do the training myself and wasn't going to take her to obedience classes but I'm glad I changed my mind - it's such a help to have people that know lots about training helping me to train Jersey. We've only been to 3 classes so far and the change in my dog is unreal! She listens so much better and is always watching me when we're out - even at the dog park!

Personally I think it's a great idea to go through some obedience training with you pup :)

As for the age my school has "headstart" puppy classes for pups 10 - 16 weeks, then grade 1 for dogs 4 months and older.

Hope that helps some!

dogcatharmony
March 7th, 2005, 09:53 AM
hi, when i got my puppy i asked a vet about training and he said that starting my puppy in obedience classess at ten weeks was a good idea. he told me that not only does it help me ( this is my very first dog) but it really helps the puppy in socializing with other dogs. My first few "kindergarten" classes were a total bomb ( i thought, the puppy didn't she had a blast) but in the end she ended up winning most improved dog and she listens so well. not to mention after a night of puppy classes she would sleep forever lol.

tenderfoot
March 7th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Simple answer - TODAY!
We start our puppies the second they come home and they know almost everything they need to for life in a matter of a week or two - then it's just a matter of reinforcing it through their developmental stages.
Unless you really know about dog training and have been successfull with a few dogs then I would say go to a trainer. Our DVD can also teach you how to do it at home, but sometimes having the support of a person right next to you can be helpful.
You need to do what is comfortable to you. The beauty of a trainer is that is forces you to do your homework - otherwise you might keep putting it off and then precious time is lost.

nymph
March 10th, 2005, 09:34 AM
tenderfoot: would you recommend formal training for a puppy who has not been fully vaccinated? What kind of training could we give our puppy before he's fully vaccinated?

tenderfoot
March 10th, 2005, 11:06 AM
We aren't big on vaccinations - we do the puppy set but try to stretch them out as far as possible. Did you know that a toy puppy gets the same size shot that a great dane pup gets? The side effects of shots can be quite terrible, and I don't think enough is being said about it. That said - I would suggest that you do what you are comfortable with knowing what your vet reccomends and what the school requires.
You could start working on his vocabulary right away. This pup can have a name for every action he performs and everything in his life - ie toys, rooms of the house. You really aren't teaching him how to sit - he knows how - you are just creating an association to a word or hand signal.
I guess I get caught up on the word 'formal'. Training is part of your relationship with this puppy - it's on going all of the time. Its how you play together, how you feed, how you love on the dog , how you are with the puppy all of the time. It teaches the puppy about your level of leadership and what is expected of him.

nymph
March 12th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Thanks tenderfoot, we are doing basic trainings with Diego, like "sit", "stay", "come", etc. However from what I've heard from fellow dog owners: formal puppy training, i.e. going to puppy school is a great way to socialize and to learn appropriate commands, and that's what we intend to do, as early as possible, because I suppose it's better to start when they are young.

Dahlia
March 12th, 2005, 10:59 PM
I guess I get caught up on the word 'formal'. Training is part of your relationship with this puppy - it's on going all of the time.

By formal training I mean puppy classes or obedience classes, other than what I'm doing at home. Are these really necessary? I know a lot of people on here recommend them.