Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Potty training question

Dahlia
March 6th, 2005, 12:25 PM
My 8 wk old beagle is doing great with potty training. During the day she rarely has an accident since I'm watching her constantly and taking her out often. But at night, even though I take her out during the night, she poops in her crate. She will go pee when I take her out but she will not poop outside in the middle of the night. She just goes to the back steps and waits for me to bring her back in the house.

Just today I started using a leash on her so she has to stay where I want her instead of going to the steps so maybe this will help.

I know she can't help having to go poop at night, but is she starting a bad habit by going in her crate or will this problem go away once she's old enough to hold it all night? She's not going in her crate or in the house during the day.

wjranch
March 6th, 2005, 09:52 PM
You are doing a great job with your puppy. You can try a couple of things to make this more successful for both of you...

1.section off the crate so she has a very small area to sleep in and that's it! She should be able to lay down on her side and stretch out some, but, from front to back..see that she has only enough room to make a 360 degree circle wihtout bashing her face on the front of the crate or the back partition that you put in...
2.feed no later then 7pm at night... take the food away after 15 minutes of offering it to her (I never recommend free feeding dogs) and the water also should be taken away no later then 8 pm at night.

Good Luck and keep up the good work

Dahlia
March 7th, 2005, 06:20 AM
thanks. I have her crate sectioned off and she has her dinner at around 6:30pm. She poops in her crate once a night, still. She is getting better about pooping outside after dark, though. And in her defense, last night I didn't wake up when she whined because I just had my wisdom teeth cut out and took pain meds before I went to bed.

I got up at 5 am and couldn't find the mat that was in the bottom of her crate! Finally I found it behind the box that I had stuffed in there as a divider. I guess she decided to do a little housekeeping during the night. I cleaned it up and she's been out all morning and hasn't had a problem.

wjranch
March 7th, 2005, 07:11 AM
That's cute, she hid the evidence. LOL
You're doing good with her, where did you get her from? A breeder or pet shop? And how long have you had her? This can make a big difference as you mentioned she's 8 weeks old now.

You could try increasing the morning meal alittle bit, and decreasing the evening meal. The idea being the bowel should be active during the day more so then at night. Give it more to work on during the daytime and get her lots of fun play (short bursts of 5-10 mins) at her age, she will play like a demon for about that long then nap for 20-30 mins. She will need to go out to do her business right after playing, then have her nap, then out again when she wakes. You will feel like you live outdoors!
Keep up the good work, she's coming along fine.
Keep us posted

Dahlia
March 7th, 2005, 07:47 AM
I got her from my uncle, who has beagles as hunting dogs. He wanted to keep all of the pups but I asked for one and he gave her to me. (He's not a BYB in the sense of breeding dogs to try and make money. He normally keeps any pups they might have, and if he does sell one or give it away it's to a friend or someone he knows who lives on a farm and wants a good rabbit dog. He gave me this one because he knows I will take good care of her and treat her like a princess.) His dogs are outside dogs, on a farm, but I'm keeping her in the house. She is going to be our spoiled little baby. I've had her since last Wednesday night.

I take her out all the time, after eating, drinking, playing, sleeping. She always goes potty outside and has only had a couple of accidents in the house since we've had her and she's only in the crate at night and if we happen to go somewhere during the day. She has never pooped in the house, only in her crate, and that's just at night. When I take her out in the middle of the night she hurries up and pees then she's ready to come back in. I don't know if she's scared or just doesn't like the wet grass. It hasn't been that cold here during the day but at night the grass is cold and wet.

Or maybe the mother dog wouldn't let them out of the doghouse at night for fear of a predator or something? They had free run outside and a big dog house that's big enough for me to get into.