Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

feedback please!!! I don't know which puppy.... :(

jiorji
March 5th, 2005, 09:34 PM
:p

'ello!! I'm new here :)
I own no dogs but would like to have one. So before i do that this fall i need to do some research.

and perhaps I can get some feedback :crazy:

i need to figure out what breeds I need. here's what kind of dog i would like:
-medium size
-good for apartment
-medium energy
- won't mind staying home while i'm at school
- yet it will enjoy an outing , either a walk or a run along my bike
- would love to go camping in the summer

....any ideas?? :confused: the ones i wanted to look into are really big and would go nuts in an apartment :(

heeeeeeeeeeeeelpppppppppppppppppppppppp :grouphug: :D

Prin
March 6th, 2005, 03:15 AM
Wouldn't that be the perfect dog for everybody? The thing is most medium sized dogs chew things until at least 2 years of age and are high energy. How much exercise are you willing to give the dog every day? That's the key. If it's under an hour, the list of medium dogs narrows to almost zero... My little dog that I adopted from the internet used to run alongside her owner but it wasn't enough. She needed to PLAY. She chewed her way through 5 owners until we threw a ball for her. Now, no one would know she's excited because we play with her 2 to 3 hours every day. That's a big commitment.

Some bigger dogs make better apartment pets because they need less exercise and calm down faster. Research research research. I hate it when people get a dog and it chews things and pees on the floor and they "bring it back". You have to know what to expect good and very bad. Look at the other posts on this site-- there is a lot of trouble with a dog.

amber416
March 6th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Getting an older dog rather than a puppy would probably be best in your situation. How long are you gone when you go to school? Puppies can't be left alone for very long, they need to be let out to go to the bathroom and played with often. Older dogs can stay home alone longer. As far as breeds, i'm not really sure.... do lots of research. Good luck!

Jackie467
March 6th, 2005, 05:35 PM
I think something like a greyhound or whippet might be a good choice. just so you know a whippet looks just like a greyhound but is a bit smaller, usually about 35-40lbs. they love to run but only do so in small bursts and will happily sleep all day while your gone. they are great apartment dogs because they arn't really high energy and rarely ever bark. I would recomend an adult dog, but if you are dead set on a puppy try to get it while you are on summer break so you can be with it when it first comes home until it is a bit older.

meb999
March 6th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Here's a website that will give you the pros and cons of most breeds. She's very direct and doesn't sugar coat anything...you should check it out:
http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/dogbreeds/index.html

Lucky Rescue
March 6th, 2005, 07:49 PM
the ones i wanted to look into are really big and would go nuts in an apartment

Actually, unless you get a toy breed, medium sized and smaller breeds (like terriers and herding dogs) are more likely to "go nuts" in an apartment. Very large breeds are generally much lower energy as they were bred for a different need than most smaller dogs.

How long will this dog be alone every day? Are you prepared to get up early and walk it before school, no matter what the weather? Spend time every night walking, training, and playing with it?

Agree with Jackie - greyhounds are generally good apartment dogs. They are used to small spaces and are not high energy. As sighthounds, they are also normally rather quiet. You can get a young adult at a rescue who will already be housetrained.

jiorji
March 6th, 2005, 08:46 PM
I think something like a greyhound or whippet might be a good choice. just so you know a whippet looks just like a greyhound but is a bit smaller, usually about 35-40lbs. they love to run but only do so in small bursts and will happily sleep all day while your gone. they are great apartment dogs because they arn't really high energy and rarely ever bark. I would recomend an adult dog, but if you are dead set on a puppy try to get it while you are on summer break so you can be with it when it first comes home until it is a bit older.

i think you're right. From what i have researched (and still going through information) a whippet seems good. I'm not sure if i want a puppy or a 1 or 2 year old dog. i would like to 'potty' train it so that in case it needs to go and i'm not there it will know what to do and not hurt itself.

jiorji
March 6th, 2005, 08:50 PM
[QUOTE=LuckyRescue]Spend time every night walking, training, and playing with it?
QUOTE]

yes of course i am ! I own a guinea pig and she's always with me. So the new dog will spend time with us too. heheh....whcih is why i want a dog so that i can take it everywhere. I was told to get a cat but i tend to go out a lot in the summer.

resquing a dog is what i want to do. I'm just not ready to get one and i'd hate going to the humane society and not take anyone home :(

thanks for the replies everyone! :D

maddoxies
March 6th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Greyhound rescue sounds like a good option for you.

wjranch
March 7th, 2005, 07:46 AM
You already have a guinea pig? I'd suggest you stay away from terrier breeds as they tend to have high vermin extermination drive! LOL Not fair to puppy or guinea pig :thumbs up

greyhound rescue is great, but, remember these are dogs that are used to living in a 'stable' and racing. They have NO experience living in a house or with a family. They require patience and quite abit of care...many rescues will not adopt them to someone who is not experienced with the breed

whippet's I am not very familiar with, although I have heard they can suffer from seperation anxiety and be quite dependant on their owner (they get spoiled easy!)

Good Luck with your search, I commend you for educating yourself first and preparing in advance for your new addition!

jiorji
March 9th, 2005, 05:31 PM
ok.............so i did more research on dog breeds.....are Shelties, or cocker spaniels good for apartment living??....erm.....even though they're barkers?? I heard that can be stopped....maybe with a treat :love: LOL

I keep going back to Italian greyhounds but everywhere i read about them it says that either they wonder off or they're too fragile. I wouldn't want the poor thing getting hurt if we go for bike rides.

If anyone's still watching this thread ...gimme some feedback :D

Jackie467
March 9th, 2005, 07:10 PM
I have an italian greyhound. they are quite fragile, and tend to get underfoot so i don't think bike riding would be a good idea, though i'v never tried it. they can be good apartment dogs but i must warn you that they tend to get attached to one person and usually live to be about 12 years old. they are not ideal with children either because the child can easily hurt them as with any toy breed. They are also notorious for being hard to house train. don't get me wrong i love the breed but they aren't for everyone, they take a lot of time to train, but once trained they are great dogs.

Lea
March 10th, 2005, 09:12 AM
I would definitely recommend going to the Humane Society and getting an adult dog. Puppies require a tremendous amount of attention. I think Jackie pointed out that a dog that doesn't bark much would be a good idea since you live in an apartment, and I couldn't agree more! There is NOTHING more irritating than listening to your neighbors dog barking all the time. That's first hand info there : )

Whatever you get, if there are behavior problems, immediately get a crate and use it while you are gone. I had never crated a dog, or had to crate a dog, til I got Ivan. It has made his life, and ours, much nicer. No more stress about "what am I gonna find this time when I get home". It can also save their lives.

Finally, make sure you can afford a dog emotionally and financially. It's a big commitment to care for an animal for the rest of their lives. They can be expensive - shots, food, medicines, emergencies, etc, and I know also from experience that most students have limited income. But if you are ready for that, good luck. It can be one of the most rewarding relationships you will ever experience.

heidiho
March 10th, 2005, 09:16 AM
I have a neighbor and they have a rat terrier and a min pin and they bark all the time,i was lookin into greyhound and they do sound perfect for an apt and u caould run with them...

mona_b
March 10th, 2005, 09:41 AM
A Greyhound is a good breed for an apartment.Here is a rescue site in Ontario.You can talk to them.
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.com/info.html

One of my co-workers has 2 Wheaten Terriers and live in an apartment.They have never had a problem with barking or anything.They also have a dog walker.A friend of the family lives in a condo and has an Afghan Hound.Same thing,no probs at all.And he has had Cash as a pup.He also has a dog walker.

mafiaprincess
March 10th, 2005, 10:15 AM
I have a cocker spaniel in an apt, and I got her as a puppy. She is high energy though, and without part of my day devoted to physical excercise and mental stimulation she would drive me nuts. Running her for hours is not enough. It takes doing her obedience school homework to actually tire her out. She also is prone to getting underfoot. If I weren't moving back to a house in 2 months, I would consider rehoming her since she is too much energy for such a small space. Although I keep reading that they make 'great apartment dogs'.

andone
March 11th, 2005, 01:58 PM
i have a soft coated wheaten terrier, she lives outside while im at school, and she goes straight to my bedroom when i let her in during the evening. wheatens tend to reflect their owner's energy levels. if u don';t have much time to run them, they're fine, but once teya gets off her leash, she likes to run

Trinitie
March 11th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Andone:
Saskatchewan isn't a very warm place - you leave your dog outside all day? I assume you have heated shelter and a fresh supply of water? Does someone check in on your Wheatie?

maddoxies
March 11th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Wheatons do not come into rescue very often.

Check out Canadian Dachshund Rescue. I am not recommending a doxie for the biking (unless it gets to ride in the carrier :) ) but they have a Jack Russell mix at the moment and they tend to get other mixes into rescue that just might work for you.

The financial side is a good point, regular vet care is a reasonable expense, but those emergencies can cause financial issues. Perhaps pet insurance would be something to look into. A regular monthly premium is easier to budget for to pay the insurance, rather than get hit with a unexpected bill for hundreds, or thousands of dollars. But you do have to compare what each company offers for coverage

Good luck

jiorji
March 11th, 2005, 04:15 PM
thanks a lot you guys!! got real great responses!!

but in the end...i feel that once I'm at the rescue place i'll be taking home the doggie that needs a lot of loving more than anybody else....oh no!! they all do! i'll be taking them ALL home :D . I'll be accepting donations for the doggie food fund LMAO

heeler's rock!
March 11th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Congrats on wanting to rescue a dog! My red heeler who is a rescue turned out to be the perfect dog for almost any situtation. She doesn't bark unless I get her really excited, she's used to staying at home for long periods alone, she LOVES camping, walking, and I'm sure if I rode a bike she'd love that too! I don't think the breed is neccessarily a good indication of what dog would best suit your lifestyle. No one would have ever suggested me getting a heeler, but she's perfect! I think your best bet is to talk to rescue workers and learn about the dog's personality. Good luck! I know you'll find the perfect dog for you!! :D

Safyre
March 13th, 2005, 06:23 PM
There is actuallya few websites that you can find tha have in depth questionaires to fill out that will give you results as to what dog best suits what you are looking for.
The CKC used to have one on thier website, but its not there now, i will post again if I can find any good ones for you.

Or, you can find an adult at the shelter, if they know what it is, mix or what not, remember to do the research on the breeds to make sure you know what you are getting into!

babykitty
March 13th, 2005, 08:40 PM
I can agree with the reasearch that you have done on cockers, as they are the breed that I have owned my entire life until now. I have had 4 cockers, 3 males and 1 female. not one of them was a barker. 3 of them were rescued and older when I got them. They are amazing dogs that have a bad rap for being "nippy" but out of the 4 I had only one was nippy and that was because he was 15yrs, almost deaf and blind.....therefore he startled easily.

I found that the cocker has the perfect amount of energy, and they are not excessive chewers, they also enjoy being couch potatoes. The only bad thing that I can say about cockers is that they need to be groomed often and their eyes and ears need to be cleaned daily or they are prone to infection. They also tend to be food pigs and easily become overweight if not taken care of (and they pout like children).

I hope that any of this info on cockers helps! I think that they are a fabulous breed :thumbs up.