Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy eating poo

topaz_n29
March 5th, 2005, 10:28 AM
I need some help plse. I have a 8 week old Shih/terrier. She keeps eating her poo. I try to catch her..and keep telling her the word "leave"..for if i say no she'll think she is not to go on the paper. Why do some puppies/dogs do this and others not? My Shep/Rottie is 2yrs. and still does it..his and the other 2 dogs that go outside.( i have 4 dogs alltogether) I have given up on him..lol
I really wud like to get my Shih (Harley) out of this now. He is 3/4 Shih and 1/4 terrier.
Also my 14 yr. old Poodle/x wants outside a lot to gnaw on frozen snow.
He will gnaw right down to the ground. Any suggestions? I know he's not hurting himself. Thx for any info..Topaz :p

tenderfoot
March 5th, 2005, 03:11 PM
It is a natural behavior for a puppy to eat poops - their own and others - they get necessary bacteria/nutrients from "leftovers" - but this behavior should also stop at an early age. Possibly your puppy is missing some important nutrients in her food. I would put a tablespoon of plain (or vanilla) yogurt in her food everyday to add healthy flora to her system.
There is a product called Forbid, or a few spoonfuls of crushed pineapple or sprinkle MSG on the food and it changes the taste of the poops and the dog stops enjoying the activity so much. However, MSG isn't good for anyone - so only do this for the time it takes to get the puppy to stop the behavior.
I would also get some natural beef bones (like soup bones) and start her on them. But first you must acclimate her system to the rich marrow. Take a defrosted bone and scrape most of the marrow out and set it aside in the fridge. Let her have the bone for 5-10 minutes - then take it away and put it in the fridge. She can have it for longer times each day as she shows you that it is not giving her the runs (bone marrow is rich). Take a small amount of the marrow and put it in her food everyday until it's gone. Only enough to get her used to it but not so much that she gets diarrhea. She can get a fresh bone every week.
This keeps her system running with great nutrition, micro-nutrients, great source of calcium, active tooth cleaning, active gum massaging and mental stimulation. The used bones can be kept because they are always fun for her. However, if you notice one starting to splinter - toss it out ASAP! Some never seem to splinter while others might.
If she does get the runs - solid pack pumpkin works wonders for loose stools or constipation. It is pure fiber and fixes things quickly. Just give her a couple of spoonfuls - do not feed it exclusively as there isn't much nutrition there.

topaz_n29
March 5th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Tenderfoot ty svm for your info.it was vry informing.
THx Top.

Prin
March 6th, 2005, 04:26 AM
If all of your dogs are doing it, maybe your food is not high enough quality? Sometimes if food is hard to digest, dogs will re-eat it to try to get more nutrients out of it. What food do you feed them?

topaz_n29
March 6th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Hi Prin..he is on nutri Source for puppies as are 2 of my other dogs.
they donot and nvr have eaten their poo.
I tried the msg..seems to have no affect at all..i try to stay w/him to catch him..but sumtmx he goes right away and other timx not for an hour.
My other dogs are are 2 seniors and one adult(2yrs. old) Thx Top. :)

Safyre
March 13th, 2005, 06:54 PM
When reading this, I was thinking of my own dog, who likes to go after my cats poop, because well.. cat food is better, and they do not fully digest it, so the poo tastes good. Seems that Tenderfoot has the same thought that the poo has something in it that attracts the dogs.
It may verywell be the food, there is something lacking for your new breed of dog with the food that you are feeding. Different breeds have different nutritional needs.
Try the suggestions from Tenderfoot...
jsut wanted to show support: i had a dog doing the same sorta thing!