Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Overfeeding Puppy?

Dahlia
March 5th, 2005, 08:37 AM
As you probably know I have an 8 wk old beagle puppy. She is a little piggy - I think probably because her siblings didn't let her get all the food she wanted. The first night we brought her home I gave her 1/3 cup dry food with a little water added. She gobbled it down and was whining for more so I gave her a little more. She scarfed that down too, but I didn't let her have more. Anyway, the next day I gave her 1/3 cup each feeding, 3 meals. She ate every bit every time. Yesterday she ate 1/3 cup for breakfast but at lunch she wouldn't eat a bite. I was worried that she might be getting sick, but she seemed okay other than not wanting to eat. She did sleep quite a bit also, but no vomiting or diarrhea, coughing, sneezing, or anything like that. So I left the food out so she could get to it if she wanted it and she never touched it. Finally at dinner time I dumped it out and gave her some fresh food, dry. She ate it all, and she's eating fine now.

I'm thinking maybe 1/3 cup at each meal is too much, so this morning I gave her a little less. I think it's better for her to eat 3 smaller meals a day than 2 larger ones. Am I doing the right thing? She has a vet appt on Tuesday for her shots and they will be doing a stool sample and everything. :yuck:

Lucky Rescue
March 5th, 2005, 10:06 AM
The bag of puppy food should give guidelines on how much to feed - you can adjust it accordingly.

8 week old puppies should be eating 4 times a day (same amount of course)

Beagles are known for being a little piggish and can get fat, so don't overfeed. :)

Dahlia
March 5th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Yes, on the bag it says a dog of her age with a mature weight of 13 - 20 lbs should get 1/3 to 1 cup of food per day, and that very young puppies should be fed 3 times a day. Her parents are about 12 and 16 lbs. They're small beagles.