Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kitten born Jan. 15 underweight?

wimaine
March 4th, 2005, 06:11 PM
I'm worried, worried, worried. We have an American Bobtail kitten that is "reserved" for us, and is still with the breeder until he is 12 weeks old and ready to leave his mother. My concern is that according to the breeder, he weighed 15.5 ounces (Sorry, these are American units of measurement) on March 2. My understanding from everything I've read is that kittens should gain a pound a month, and that he should weigh just shy of 2 pounds now, not less than one. Another breeder I have talked to warned me to monitor the weight (in other words, ask the breeder for regular updates), as some breeders tend to pour all their care and effort into the show quality cats, and neglect the ones that are destined to be pets. Is this really as underweight as it seems to me? SHould I be as worried as I am?

Help!!!!

raingirl
March 4th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Depends on how old it is now. Is it 12 weeks now? Or younger?

wimaine
March 4th, 2005, 07:05 PM
I'm sorry -- I guess that would have been good info to include, eh? He was born on January 15

Lucky Rescue
March 4th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Have you seen this kitten while it's been growing? Is it thin? Does it look healthy, but small? Clear and bright eyes,active and playful etc?

A kitten around 8 weeks they will be near 2 lbs. This is just an average ballpark figure.

wimaine
March 4th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Yes, clear eyes, playful, etc. And he IS gaining -- however, if an 8 week old is usually around 2 lbs, and he weighs less than ONE pound and will be 8 weeks tomorrow.... well, that's a really, really big difference.

wimaine
March 4th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Also, he is from a litter of 9 kittens, which I know is very large. I don't know if that really explains the weight issue, though, and that he will catch up as he gets older, just like human multiple births do.

I guess what I want is someone to tell me not to be worried, that it's not a sure sign he's sick or something.

Lucky Rescue
March 4th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Considering the average litter is 4 - 6 kittens, 9 is a heck of a lot! I would be worried that the queen could not properly feed them all.

As to if your kitten is healthy - only a vet can tell you that.