Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Re: stray raccoon need answer asap!

Rottimom
March 4th, 2005, 04:23 PM
I was just driving home from work and saw this poor little ratty looking raccoon walking up the sidewalk of a residential street. He walked up a driveway and looked like he was vomiting. I am wondering if I should call the animal control? And if so, what might they do? My only concern is that the little guy didn't look well and I want to help him! Will they do anything? I don't want some jerk to see it and do something terrible to it. Or should I just leave it be? :o

aussiemedogs
March 4th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Call animal control. The safest thing to do! :)

Schwinn
March 4th, 2005, 04:32 PM
And stay away from it. Those suckers can be absolutely vicious! I think most places will try and help the wildlife and release it, if you can find the right place to call. I think it may be different everywhere. We had an issue with a racoon who had died, but that may be because he was dead that we had a hard time finding some place to get him.

Rottimom
March 4th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Well I don't know if I did the right thing or not. I just called animal control and they said they would send someone around to look, and if he's sick, he'll be put to sleep :sad: :sad:

BMDLuver
March 4th, 2005, 04:46 PM
It's the best thing for the raccoon. I would much rather be put to sleep than die a slow death. Look at it that way...

Rottimom
March 4th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Yeah I suppose thats true.

Thanks all for your quick replies.

chico2
March 5th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Rottimom..you did the right thing,hopefully they can find him :sad:

Schwinn,I have yet to meet a vicious raccoon,if they are,they are either sick or cornered or trying to defend themselves....leave them be and they'll just lumber away doing what they do,,,and they are adorable :thumbs up

WeeZee
March 5th, 2005, 08:23 PM
saw "racoon" and had to pop into the post with an old memory

When I was living on the other side of this land, in Vancouver, I was coming home late one night ,,, over to my left I saw a band of furry masqueraders on the lawn. I didn’t give them much thought … until my key got stuck in the door … looking over I saw a couple approaching. I panicked! They were huge – twice the size of my cat. I reached into my grocery bag and gabbed some raw hamburger and tossed it at them as hard as I could. They were amused, and the whole band was now interested in approaching. Key still stuck, still frakin’ and scared, I spotted my garden hose. I let it go full force at them, hoping they would scurry away, but, NOPE, they stood on their hind legs and had themselves a shower!
Well me, the crazy one, finally got in the house and I am suuuuuure that I heard them laughing at me lol. They were super-sweet through the window, playing with the hose I had carelessly tossed aside.
Cute as all get out, but they freak me out in the dark and up-close-and-personal

Katherine1
March 5th, 2005, 09:37 PM
My neighbors have a family of 3 to 4 racoons that come to visit in the evenings in the summer - they put out dog food for them and leave out peanut butter crackers. We live out in the country and they have been doing this for years. We sit on the front porch and watch them eat and when they are finished they, one by one, go back into the bush. They are so cute.

chico2
March 6th, 2005, 08:18 AM
The thing is,some people hate them,what is there to hate..??They are wild animals trying to survive,with as much right to live as we do.
I always have a family or two spring or summer,feed them and watch them,more entertaining than watching TV..you just have to raccoon-proof your garbage :D
The little ones are as cute as any kitten/puppy and watching the usually small mother,fight off the much bigger males to protect her babies is amazing..
Life for the coons in our suburbs and cities is hard enough and I think we should enjoy them while we still have them.. :love:

Schwinn
March 7th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Schwinn,I have yet to meet a vicious raccoon,if they are,they are either sick or cornered or trying to defend themselves....leave them be and they'll just lumber away doing what they do,,,and they are adorable :thumbs up

I'm thinking of the "city" raccoons, the ones that live in the dumpsters and are huge. It's probably from people hassling them and chasing them and such. Personally, I love raccoons. You're right, if you leave them alone, they'll leave you alone. And I've encountered my fair share on the trails while riding, never a problem. But in the city, if you get too close to some of them, they can be pretty vicious (again, because they feel threatened). We had friends who had raccoons, they were awesome. But they weren't the "dumpster diver" breed...

mafiaprincess
March 7th, 2005, 04:00 PM
At least they wanted to do something about it..

I'm in Whitby Ont. Last summer I pulled into my driveway and there was a bedraggled raccoon in the middle of the day rubbing up against the trees on my front lawn. Looked sick, underweight, and lost.. I called animal control, they told me the only case of rabies in 5 years had been in a goat, and that raccoons are only up in the day when there isn't enough food to go around. They refused to do anything for the poor little thing, and while I was on the phone it wandered across the street into a park just missing getting hit by two cars.

chico2
March 7th, 2005, 04:10 PM
mafiaprincess,last summer the MNR(Ministry of Natural Resources)killed off 13.000+raccoons and foxes they would not allow any rescues to keep coons alive,they had to be killed....that is probably why the HS would not come and get the one you saw,they knew he would die on his own anyway :sad:
If you found babycoons,like a girl here on the Forum,you could not get any help from anyone,you had to try to rear them yourself(against the law at the time) or they would be killed.
She had seven adorable babies,the mother had probably been killed,unfortunately only one survived,but he grew to be a big beautiful coon,stayed with her all summer(in the barn)but left when winter set in,probably to hibernate.

coppperbelle
March 7th, 2005, 06:22 PM
I am not an expert but everything I have read or heard says to stay away from raccoons especially if you see one out during the day. They are nocturnal and if out during the day are probably infected with rabies. Rabies can be transmitted to people and is a death sentence. A raccoon wandering through a park during the day is dangerous to children and other pets. Even dogs that have been vaccinated can be infected also though this is rare.

The best rule when seeing a wild animal out of its element is to call animal control.

A few years ago I had a family of raccoons that would visit my house every night. In the spring it was just mom and dad but during the summer they started to bring all the babies. Every night they got into my garbage and strew it everywhere. I could not even go in my front yard because they were always there and contrary to what someone mentioned would not move even when they saw me. They would stand their ground and would not move. I believe they would have attacked if I tried to get them to leave.

coonlover
March 7th, 2005, 07:46 PM
If that was me and they were sitting in my front yard, I would probably make them some sandwiches :D

chico2
March 8th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Cooonlover..http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/lol4.gif
Copperbelle,as for rabies,there are more humane ways to deal with it,rather than killing healthy animals.Of the 13.000+ killed last summer 99,9%were found to be pefectly healthy :sad:
Coons sometimes get caught after sunup and will usually scurry up a tree for the day,to come down again after dark.It has happened several times to me,the coon will be curled up in one of my trees,not bothered by me outside with my cats.
You can avoid getting your garbage messed up by composting food-items,or do like me,give leftovers to the birds,they eat anything!!I have a couple of friendly crows who love my cooking....that way nothing goes to waste :D

Katherine1
March 8th, 2005, 08:11 AM
We haven't had any problem with the racoons that my neighbors feed in the summer. They come in the evening after dark and we enjoy watching them. We don't put our garage out until the morning of the day it is picked up and they don't seem to be around then. The only thing that I have seen getting into the garbage are those big black crows. :D

chico2
March 8th, 2005, 08:35 AM
Yes Katherine, and Starlings....Starlings are like the bird-version of Pirahnas(sp?)if there is food out,they come by the hundreds and clean it up in a second :D

coppperbelle
March 8th, 2005, 09:05 PM
We weren't taking about a racoon that got caught up in someones tree. We are talking about a racoon walking around a neighborhood during the day behaving strangley.

I wasn't suggesting that the raccoons needed to be killed, only caught humanely and re-located. If of course it was exhibiting signs of being infected with rabies then it could not be re-located.

As for throwing my garbage out for birds to eat, I don't think I will be doing that anytime soon. I can only imagine the kind of vermin that would attract, not to mention how impressed my neighbors would be.

chico2
March 8th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Copperbelle,excuse me,but I was not exactly suggesting you throw out your garbage for the birds...I guess it all depends where you live,but composting is a good idea and there is never any chance for any vermin to get to any food,the birds take care of it in 2 min,they actually wait for it every morning,so no waste everything get recycled...and yes,I have very friendly neighbors,but they are not that close.
I was also never suggesting you should go up close to any wild animal,watching them through our patio-door is close enough and in all the years I've had coons coming they have never left a mess.

mona_b
March 11th, 2005, 08:41 AM
In regards to raccoons,the reason it was acting strangely is because it just may be rabid.I have learned from Wildlife Animal Rescue that raccoons only come out in the night,and if you ever see one in the day,do NOT go near it.Chances are it is sick or rabid.So you did the right thing.And hopefully they picked it up.

chico2
March 11th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Mona,you are right,sometimes though,they will get caught in the early daylight hours...by misstake,but then quickly scurry up a tree to sleep the day away.
I would never suggest to anyone going near a wild animal,enjoy them from a distance,whatever they are...and call for help if you see a sick or wounded animal.

mona_b
March 11th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Your right chico.But what I meant is seeing one walking around the streets or should I say waddeling..LOL

Don't worry,I know you would never suggest that... :)

chico2
March 11th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Mona,I just get upset when people call wild animals pests,we have destroyed their habitat and we have to live it.When we bought our house in Oakville,I could drive up my road and there was a couple of farms,cows gracing and wide open spaces.Now it's a concrete jungle with big ugly houses coming up like mushrooms out of the ground,it's just plain ugly,so where is a raccoon to go?To my house :D :D

mona_b
March 12th, 2005, 12:48 AM
I totally agree chico.

It's just so sad.My best friend moved into a new house a few years ago in Mississauga.She was telling me that on a few occasions she actually saw a fox walking on the street.Her and her son were sitting on her steps,she said again she saw a fox trying to go into the neighbor across the streets garage.It just breaks my heart that their habitat is being destroyed.And the sad part is they still think it's their home... :sad: :(