Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Vomitting

Kristyn
March 4th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Hello all,
My cat Theodore (3yrs old) just recently had a urinary tract infection that has now been cleared up, then had blood in his urine and had been on medication for that. Now whenever he eats he vomits within 5 mins, then eats again then vomits 2 hours later. This has been going on for 3 days now. I have talked to the vet and they have not given me any answers on what I can do or what it can be. Any suggestions based on his passed months history of problems?
Thank you in advance,

Kristyn

Trinitie
March 4th, 2005, 03:40 PM
I suggest another opinion from a different vet. When an animal vomits, it's not for "no reason". Something is irritating the cats stomach. Has the vet x-rayed to check for blockages? Try a hairball remedy.

amber416
March 4th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Poor Theodore :( , he has not had very good luck in the health department, huh. I would definitely take him to a different vet for another opinion. My vet told me that when cats vomit it is too often because of a fairly serious problem. Better to be safe than sorry...good luck, i hope Theodore starts feeling better soon!

Kristyn
March 4th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Thanks for your responses. I will get some x-rays done now. It soo much money already to be spent. Sometimes you wonder if there taking you for your money.
I have been giving him hairball medication for the last year so we wouldnt run into this problem thats why I am so puzzled to why this is happening to my poor baby!

Trinitie
March 4th, 2005, 04:03 PM
If you don't trust your vet, find another one. Although it's doubtful that the vet is doing what isn't in the best interests of your cat, it's better to be on the sure side so you don't hesitate getting the care he needs.

As a cat can live to be upwards of 20 years old (if healthy), a small cost now could be the beginning of a long happy life. He's only 3, so he has quite a long ways to go!

Please keep us updated on how he's doing!

Karin
March 4th, 2005, 05:33 PM
What Trinitie said...alway's feel free to get a second opinion.

I do not like to think of vet's having a greed motive, but after working for many off & on for the past 25 years, I have seen a few I have been disappointed with. The last vet was so evil I was "burned out" as a tech. I probably will never go back into it.

99 percent of all vet's are good people. They could have chosen a more lucrative career but chose the "caring profession".

Good luck and let us know what happens.

meowzart
March 4th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Kristyn
How many times a day is the cat vomiting?

My cats will go through a phase where they'll vomit once or twice a day for a week or so, and then it will settle down. I attribute it to 1) hairballs - which you seem to have looked after or 2) gorging - they eat too fast and then puke!

Cats and puke seem to go hand in hand that's probably why your vet isn't in a snit about it.

If they are vomiting up food I wouldn't worry too much - they are pro bably eating too fast. If they vomit frequently and bile etc., then I would be more concerned.

However, a vet check is always a good idea.

twinmommy
March 4th, 2005, 08:45 PM
My cat went through something very similar, and I agree with Meowzart this can come and go--cats and puke DO go hand in hand!!LOL!.

I too feel that I was taken advantage of, as my baby was given x-rays, a barium enema, and endoscopy, you name it, they "saw me coming" as you say.

Well, they couldn't really find ANYTHING, except my visa limit, and decided to treat her with antibiotics...."on spec".

I really believe they could've spared the poor thing a three day stay at the vets with all those invasive tests. They could've STARTED with the antibiotics and went from there. Needless to say, I have long since changed vets, but be careful. If you think they are taking advantage of you, they probably are, and that's the last thing you need when you have sick animals.
When in doubt, get a second opinion. :thumbs up

meowzart
March 4th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Also if he is still on antibiotics? this could upset his tummy.

Wow! I love my vet - He is so considerate of both the animals and your budget :) And he has amazing clinical judgment. i think sometimes vets or docs that order lots of tests do so because they aren't confident in their clinical skills. Not that my vet hesitates to recommend a test if it seems likely to help, but...I've never felt taken advantage of. One time when he did an x-ray of my little rescue because she was breathing so rapidly and so lethargic, and it showed nothing wrong, he only charged me half the cost !

Does he keep SOME food down?

I have lived on a few different cat boards over the past years and i can tell you that cat-gorge-puking is common.

Also you need to consider the overall state of the animal. Are they absolutely fine otherwise - no temp? or do they look ill.

There is always that small possibility of blockage that you must keep at the back of your mind though

twinmommy
March 4th, 2005, 11:03 PM
an afterthought...does she gobble down her food?

Kristyn
March 7th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Thank you everyone for your quick responses. I have tried 1 thing that
did work this weekend in regards to his consistent vomitting.
I gave him for dinner small portions of his food over a longer period of time and he has not vomitted since then.I guess he had turned into an over gorger with his food. Thank you so much for all the advice it has helped me alot in decided on what to do with the vet.
I am still waiting for his 2nd urine culture sample to come back it has been 5 days now and no call from them at all. Sometimes it does seem since they have recieved there money that there work is done. ($2500.00 later)
Another choice in vet is next on my list of things to do.
Thanks again.