Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Shih Tzu Training

topaz_n29
March 4th, 2005, 01:43 PM
I wud like to hear from Shih Tzu owners.. I Have a 2mos. old 3/4 Shih Tzu 1/4 terrier mix..he is adorable. Harley was trained well on paper and of course is now making little piddles here n there.
I went to Breeders info on Shih's..they all seem to say they are hard to train..as they have a mind of their own..Harley shows no signs of aggression nor is he a scairdy cat. He wasn't even scared the first time i used the vacum..actually followed me round the house..lol.Also i Have 3 other dogs..np there except w/the 2 older ones..1 is part blind and deaf..so doesn';t like anyone sneaking up on him..my 2 yr. old Shep/Rottie actually plays w/ Harley.
I wud like some info from anyone who owns Shih"s as to their temperment
etc. Thx Topaz :ca:

GunnerX
March 4th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Hard to train? I guess it depends on the temperament of the dog. I was actually quite surprised at how easy it was to train ariel. At 3 mos, she knew, sit, lie down and fetch. It didn't take me long to teach her either. She's almost 1 year now and extremely smart. She remembers exactly where people like to hide, she know's names and knows where to go when I tell her couch or pillow. Now she can sit, lie down, roll over, stay, shake, beg and spin. She will do these tricks either verbally or with hand signals only. I've been lazy in trying to teach her new things though. Maybe I'll teach her more stuff when it gets warmer.

She also craves a lot of attention. She wants everyone to pet her and she would like to meet every dog she sees on the street. I definitely have to teach her to mind her own business. :D

Lizzie
March 4th, 2005, 05:04 PM
I don't have a shih tzu but I can tell you that a 2 month old dog is too young to not make piddle's here and there. At that age he should have JUST left his mommy (and by just I mean no earlier than his 8 week bday). This would merely be the beginning of his training--he should be no where near trained at this point.

topaz_n29
March 4th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Thx Gunner n Lizzie..yes i do know bout the p-p part..lol..i have had dogs all my life..i was more concerned about the other stuff..I have seen a few people in our small down w/their Shih's..and they are so well behaved..and friendly. I don't know bout the info i got as it was from Akc..maybe top breeders expect more..not sure..Harley is deffinately a keeper :thumbs up
Also Gunner...about 1/2 a cup a day dry food is good?..3x a day divided?.My Maltese is 12yrs. i can't remember..my other 2 dogs are big..thx agin both of u..Top.

chocolatecoffee
March 4th, 2005, 07:13 PM
I have a shih tzu X and she was very easy to train. She learned to ring a bell to go outside very quickly and she's so eager to please. She seems to enjoy the company of people more than dogs, but I think she secretly likes other dogs (she's just starting to play with our new dog, it's so exciting to watch!). She acts just like a little lady, she eats politely, takes treats as gently as ever, and never makes a mess while our other one, a Maltese, eats like a pig (when she's done, there's kibble everywhere), she snatches treats out of your hand (we're still working on taking the treat NICELY), and she jumps all over you. The shih tzu's a pretty shy dog though, she loves to cuddle and give kisses (although she won't pass up a game of chase or fetch by any means). Even though she wasn't raised around too many young children, she's great around young kids and even babies, we were lucky. When my two baby cousins are around she's a little star, but I guess I'm biased :). She's really vocal too, she makes the funniest sounds when she's playing or if she's rubbing her ears against the floor if they're itchy (I'm not sure if it's normal, but it looks really cute!).

I guess I rambled just a bit, but you can't help but love shih tzus. Congratulations on your new addition!