Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Home alone

Sophia123
March 4th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Hi!

I have a 2 year old cocker spaniel mix named Max and a 3 year old cat named Bailey. They take up the majority of my spare time, but I don't mind because I love them and enjoy hanging out with them.

My husband and I work all day and so they are home together alone the entire day. After work, there is always someone home with them for the evening/night. Now the problem is not with me but other people. When I am asked to go out after work or something I always say no unless I can bring the dog with me. I feel it's unfair for him to be alone all day and then alone all evening. People seem to have a problem with this and tell me "well just go let him out for a pee and then come out". But I don't feel that's enough for him, he needs a lot more attention than that! He is still very young too.

Am I overreacting or babying my animals too much? I even think leaving them home all day is long and I feel bad enough for that!

Lizzie
March 4th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Absolutely not!!! You're doing the right thing. You want to ensure that your animals feel loved and cared for. Leaving them all day and then all night is a long time to be alone. I know other pet owners who do the same thing--or have a pet sitter come over to watch their furbabies when they happen to go out in the evening.

I think you're feelings are perfectly justified!!

SarahLynn123
March 4th, 2005, 11:40 AM
I always feel guilty too. So I hardly go out. If I do decide to go out, a kong filled with her favorites, or a new toy makes me feel better after I take her for a long walk. Im not sure if this an option for you, but if you have plans before and a doggie day care close by, perhaps a day of fun at day care while you work, then while your out the dog will be sleeping! Its something Ive considered and will probably do in the future. Everyone needs a fun night out with friends every now and then!

Lucky Rescue
March 4th, 2005, 11:43 AM
This is one of the problems of having a dog when you are not home all day.

I know JUST how you feel. I felt the same way with our last dog. I would hate to go out at night or even on weekends, after the dog being alone all week.:( He had 3 cats for company, but that didn't really help.

We nearly always took him if we went away for a weekend, and appreciated it if someone invited him as well as us to dinner parties, etc.

Still, I always felt guilty, even though he was an adopted dog from a neighour who basically said "Either you take him or I'll kill him". Knowing that being alone all day, loose in the house, and getting lots of attention and love at night/ weekends was better than dying helped, but I still felt badly.

Having a dog and a full time job really cuts down on your freedom - NO "dinner and a movie" after work, ever! and I never stopped feeling guilty.:(

Sophia123
March 4th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Thanks for this, that makes me feel better.

I like the idea of the day care during the day if we have plans at night! That's smart. Plus he would have a blast! A day running around with other dogs = heaven!

I will try to find one locally.

maddoxies
March 4th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Doggie Day Care is a great option, but sometimes can be too expensive for some people. As an alternate suggestion (just in general for others with the same concerns), what about trading off with someone else for evening doggie sitting? A friend keep the dog for an evening while you are out and you have their dog to your place for an evening when they want to go out. People do it with kids, why not with pets!

WeeZee
March 5th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Yes - a dog sitter!

When we first got our pooch, a sitter was the first thing we thought of ... and the kids LOVE IT. It is much more fun to take care of a dog than a child :) ... and they wind up coming over to play with her when they are not sitting too :)
(It is nice to have an elderly care-giver too ... lots of spoiling and attention for both)

We take our dog wherever we can (and that is just about everywhere), but we have a friend who has cats - who do not like our dog! It is their house and we respect that ... and get a sitter in for those hours. Lucky we like them a lot - lol - usually, if we can't take our dog somewhere, we don't go - lol

christmas shopping time was the best with a sitter ... we had no worries about timing, and it lessened our stress ... and the kiddie got extra spending money - win-win all around.

Yes ... a sitter will make you feel much better too! You can even call home to check on 'em ...

:)