Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Toddler mauled in dog fight

heidiho
March 4th, 2005, 10:35 AM
A toddler is in the hospital after she got caught between a pair of fighting dogs.

The little girl was at home with her mom in Avondale yesterday afternoon when it happened.

It started when the family's 90-pound Rottweiler started fighting with another dog.

"Mom came to break up the two dogs from fighting," explained Officer Amy McGhee of the Avondale Police Department. "In the process, the 2-year-old followed the mom and was mauled while trying to separate the two dogs."

At last check, the little girl was in critical but stable condition.

The dog was taken to Animal Control, where the family opted to have it put down.

This text is invisible on the page, but this text is affected by the invisible item's flow. This text is invisible on the page, but this text is affected by the invisible item's flow.

heidiho
March 4th, 2005, 10:36 AM
If there is one thing i have always been told u do not break up dog fights............................................ ....................

Rottnsue
March 4th, 2005, 10:44 AM
The first thing to do when your dogs are fighting is to look to see where your kids are. When dogs (any breed of dog) are fighting, they don't look to see what they are biting. Even in humans this happens.. I saw it so many times when working at the jail... the inmates are fighting and you go in to break them up and get hit. They don't realize who they're hitting...

I feel so bad for the toddler and her family. They must be just devestated.

twodogsandacat
March 4th, 2005, 10:47 AM
If there is one thing i have always been told u do not break up dog fights............................................ ....................

One of the dog related deaths in the States last year was as a person tried to break a fight with a child nearby. While your comment is certainly good advice I don't know about the absoluteness of that statement as all situations are different but the first order of business is securing the safety of any possible innocent stander by and that includes children. As much as I love my dogs I'd rather either of them be injured than to have any of my nieces or nephews be drawn into this situation.

Also it is faster to react than to think. If you know what you need to do you can do it. If you don't you will probably in hindsight think of a hundred different ways you would of done it different. Still who takes the time to think when things like this happen?

Sad story and these types of stories just keep coming.

heidiho
March 4th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Personally to me what should have been done is to grab your kid and put them somewhere safe,also i dont know what kind of dog the other one was,but my ass is not gonna get in the middle of a rotti having a dog fight with another dog,vets,trainers and other people in the animal field i have spoken with have always said do not try and break up a dog fight,who is right and who is wrong i dont know,but i wouldnt of gotten in the middle of it.

twodogsandacat
March 4th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Personally to me what should have been done is to grab your kid and put them somewhere safe,also i dont know what kind of dog the other one was,but my ass is not gonna get in the middle of a rotti having a dog fight with another dog,vets,trainers and other people in the animal field i have spoken with have always said do not try and break up a dog fight,who is right and who is wrong i dont know,but i wouldnt of gotten in the middle of it.

That's a decision you will need to make at the time. As I mentioned in another post I have seen dog park fights and they are usally not that serious. A strange dog or large dogs I see your point. Still it must be hard to walk away from your dog taking a beating. Better safe than sorry.

LavenderRott
March 4th, 2005, 11:09 AM

Sorry, but quite frankly, I wouldn't get between two dogs of ANY breed if they were fighting.

Rottnsue
March 4th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Sorry, but quite frankly, I wouldn't get between two dogs of ANY breed if they were fighting.

Any large breed can do damage... heck, any medium size dog can do damage. I was caught in the middle of a fight between a Dutch Shepherd and a Queensland mix and it wasn't pretty.

Susan

heidiho
March 4th, 2005, 11:20 AM
I AM WITH LAV ROTT,I would hate to see my dog getting into a dog fight,but i dont think i would be able to do much good for him,i like my limbs where they are.........

mastifflover
March 4th, 2005, 12:18 PM
This was obviously a fight and not a little scuffle at the dog park. If you try and break up a fight the only way I would even consider is if you have the other owner there at the same time you grab back legs and pull them apart but never be stupid enough to stick your hands in between them I have seen more people bit by their own dogs this way.

glasslass
March 4th, 2005, 12:32 PM
When Den-Den was attacked last July, it wasn't a fight. One dog had him by the throat, the other by his back leg. He was lifted off the ground and they would have pulled him apart if I had not run screaming and yelling like a banshee the moment I saw it. Fortunately they dropped him and ran back through the fence. Sometimes, you just act, there isn't time to think. If I had been bitten, it would have been worth it to save him.

BMDLuver
March 4th, 2005, 12:35 PM
I cannot imagine what damage this has done to the child, both physically and mentally. A human life should always be a first consideration over an animals. I feel terrible for this mother as she will live with this lesson for the rest of her life as will her child. :sad:

andone
March 8th, 2005, 10:41 AM
:mad: the only dog mine has ever gotten into a fight with was a HUGE dog, three times a mini collie's size, and i knew there was no way he'd get out of it alive.
We were walking by the park that I always take him to play with, because he loves to go down the slide on the jungle gym, and when we were finished, we started home in the opposite direction, because i wanted to take him out longer. Big mistake. A family that had lived there had a dog who was repeatedly inpounded and quarantined because he was so vicious. But anyways, he (the big dog, i believe his name was Rambo) walked out into the street and just went at it with my dog. The family who owned him wasn't home, so i went and grabbed the rake out of their yard and pushed at Rambo with it, to get him off of Mugs, and started yelling at him.
He growled at me, and I then picked up Mugs and rushed off towards the park, where we climbed up the jungle gym and waited a few minutes to ensure that Rambo wasn't going to follow. Then I took Mugs home and called the family to tell them to make sure that the chain was hooked up at all times, and found out that they preferred to let him run free.

greaterdane
March 8th, 2005, 11:05 AM
I have only broken up and seen one fight. It was a very odd combo, mini poodle attacking a golden. The poor golden lost alot of blood and alot of skin, i got bitten by the poodle, but stopped the fight. Those little guys can be nasty, but so cute at the same time. Either way, if it was two big dogs i most likely wouldnt. This is why we dont go to the dog park. Bull Terriers can be known to fight for no reason. I am not taking the chance of having to break that up and harming someone else or their dog. Better safe then sorry right?