Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

thanks for the food suggestion and question

meowzart
March 3rd, 2005, 10:07 PM
Thanks to whomever it was that suggested the Costco Kirkland super premium chicken and rice food. I've been looking for a new food to try Gemma on, as I'm not happy with the eagle pac., and after reading through the ingredients etc., decided it sounded as good as a lot of the other super premiums in the pet store - for a fraction of the price. So I'm giving it a try.

Also a question, Is there anything wrong with feeding her slices of left over roast, beef/chicken/pork? I'm just thinking it would be better to let her have it than throw it out

Trinitie
March 4th, 2005, 08:40 AM
The feeding of people food to a dog can lead to very fussy dogs. They aquire a taste for the people food, and lose interest in dog food. Some people say this isn't a problem as long as they eat, but dog food contains essential vitamins that aren't cooked away as they are with roasts/chicken/etc. You should not feed pork to a dog in larger quantities than a rare treat. Pork can do damage to the pancreas.

If you want, try this:
Chop the leftover food into small tidbits and use for training.
OR
Chop the leftover food into tiny bits and mix into a basic muffin recipe (a low/no sugar one). Keep peelings from carrots and potatoes (washed of course), mix with other parts of the veggie you may discard (such as the stalk of broccoli or cauliflower). Bake them into little muffins and keep some in the freezer. They make a wonderful (healthy) snack and make a great present to other pet owners!

I hope this helps!

sammiec
March 4th, 2005, 08:41 AM
It was Mastifflover that suggested that food for you! Glad that everything's working out!

Flyinby
March 4th, 2005, 12:01 PM
What a coincidence, I just left Costco yesterday and I had a big bag of that Premium Chicken food ..the ingredients looked really good..and my husband put it back and said "why are we getting that for Kain, if he doesn't like it it will be a waste"
He (kain, our huskyX) is the pickiest eater EVER and we have tried EVERYTHING: expensive food, cheap food, soft food mixed with dry, gravy poured over food, the raw food (barf diet) now he is on puppy food...and not crazy about it.. Let me know how your shepard likes the costco food..I KNEW I should've bought it!!! I don't think that he has been on the same brand of food for more than 3 months at a time...definately not healthy for him! Was your dog like ours?

meowzart
March 4th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the tips about table food - never thought about the picky thing...
What if I ground it up with rice/potatoes/veggies and froze it into 'cookies'? For treats?

No Gemma will eat ANYTHING!!! Including her bedding! gads - she's a counter surfer too.

It is a huge bag of food but it's not very expensive so worth a try - Costco's pretty good about taking things back that you don't like - no skin off their nose to take a $20 bag of food back. otherwise just give it to a rescue organization and consider it a donation if it doesn't work.

Might be worth a try.

I hope you find a food you can stick with for your pup!