Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stopping eating food

raingirl
March 3rd, 2005, 06:32 PM
I noticed in the last few days that Odin isn't eating his morning meal all at once. He will eat some, and then the rest around lunch time. Up until today, he ate dinner fine. Tonight, he didn't eat his dinner right away, then started and only licked the yogurt off his kibble (now I know why there is kibble all over the floor).He just ateabout half of his food again.

Now, we were told by the foster to feed 4 cups per day. I thought that was alot for a 50 lb dog. He needed to gain weight, so now that he is at the ideal weight, should we feed less?

ScottGoodburn
March 3rd, 2005, 06:34 PM
I don't know raingirl, but I would love to know the answer to that!

Lucky Rescue
March 3rd, 2005, 06:59 PM
Exactly how much is he eating every day? 4 cups sounds like a LOT to me - what kind of food is it?

BMDLuver
March 3rd, 2005, 07:51 PM
however, most decent brands for a 50lb dog should be around 3 cups daily.

mastifflover
March 3rd, 2005, 07:56 PM
I think it sounds high also you are feeding a high quality food I would say 2.5 to 3 cups maybe. Buddy only eats about 6 and he can actually have 8 but I only give 6 and if he finishes it I will give him more but he doesn't usually finish it all

lilith_rizel
March 3rd, 2005, 08:08 PM
Cano is 70 pounds, and he only eats about 3 3/4 cups a day...... Sometimes doesn't even finish that.

raingirl
March 3rd, 2005, 09:00 PM
It's eagle pack fish based holistic. I thought 4 was too much as well...looks like he probably could eat 2-3 instead..

maddoxies
March 3rd, 2005, 09:04 PM
Champ is 8.5 yrs old, weighs 80 pounds and gets 2 cups of Nutro Weight Mgmt per day. He would like more, but not active enough to warrant it. And goldens tend to be appetites surrounded by fur ;)

raingirl
March 3rd, 2005, 09:33 PM
I don't want him to gain anymore weight, as the vet said he is perfect right now for a bulldog.

meowzart
March 3rd, 2005, 10:44 PM
HOLY CATS - I have my 40 pound dog on eagle pack and she eats about 2.5 c per day!