Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puking in the car

Gripenfelter
March 3rd, 2005, 11:19 AM
My pup almost always pukes in the car. Especially if there are a lot of turns in the road.

He's 13 weeks old. How long does it take for them to get used car rides?

Anything I can do to help him adjust?

I usually wait about 3 hrs after his last meal.

mafiaprincess
March 3rd, 2005, 11:30 AM
How does your dog travel in the car? You might want to put your dog in their crate, or brieng their blanket so they may get comfy enough to want to sleep instead of watching out the window and getting motion sickness.

My vet told me to use gravol until mine was more used t otravelling in the car, and eventually the motion sickness stopped.

Even though you withold food, do you withold water for a whiel before you leave too? That might help as well.

tenderfoot
March 3rd, 2005, 08:05 PM
Since it has been so strongly ingrained in him that the car equates being sick it could take sometime for him to get over it. You might notice that he starts to drool just at the thought of being in the car. Some dogs have to mature to a year before they get over it.
What you need to do is start associating good things with the car. Take baby steps to reintroduce him to the car. Feed him in there but donít take him anywhere. Play with favorite toys in there. Once he gets comfy - then turn on the engine while he eats/plays. After he is good with the engine being on, then drive just down the driveway and come back. Next day drive to the end of the road and then back. You get the picture. You are re-acclimating him to positive car experiences. If you know you have to take him for a ride that could cause problems, then don't feed him that morning (he will still feel sick but there will be less mess for you). He won't starve. You can also try 1/4 - 1/2 of a Dramamine - it will relax him.