Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What I do in Pet Stores that sell puppies/kittens

wjranch
March 3rd, 2005, 10:37 AM
I make my rounds on Saturdays and go into the shops that sell animals. I make a point of zeroing in on the folks who are looking 'interested' or sympathetic to the puppies/kittens in the kennels. Then I tell them what's what!
I point out the fact that a lhasa-poo, or a schnoodle is NOT a recognized breed of dog....nor is it non-allergenic (check into the genetics of this one!!)
Those are nothing more then you'll find at your local shelter in desperate need of homes!! Don't spend 650$ Cdn plus tax on those puppies, they've most likely come from a Quebec puppy mill. Not only mixed breedings but, not of proper conformation or temperment either! Millers do NOT show their dogs to ensure they are quality dogs. And they do not breed for the betterment of the breed, they do it for money! When that is the reason, you can bet they dont' get proper vet care or vaccinations. Those cost money, and you can also bet they won't eat into their profits that way!
I usually finish off with telling them if they are looking for a puppy and want something purebred I offer my number to assist them with finding a reputable breeder.
I do NOT breed dogs. I do NOT offer to sell them a dog. I do NOT reccommend breeds to them. I DO tell them I will not take money to do this as well.
I tell them to do their homework and then find a good breeder. Go through the interviews (them to you, and you to them) when you're satisfied they are offering something you'll be happy with...and they're satisfied you will be a responsible and loving pet owner....buy your puppy.

Pet stores that sell puppies/kittens make most of their sales off of pity as it is!! Good hearted people can't stand to see the sad faces and want to help. They just don't realize they are exacerbating the problem. Save one? or open up a kennel for yet another to be brought in? hmmmmm, what to do?

lezzpezz
March 3rd, 2005, 10:53 AM
Good for you! I am sure you have educated a number of people on this topic and made some converts. Do they recognize you at various pet stores yet?? Have you been "asked to leave"? Keep up the good work ;)

Luvmypit
March 3rd, 2005, 11:19 AM
Good for you. I even when I was a kid hated going to pet stores. I always felt way to guilty looking at the animals. My mom said I had a really strong feeling about animals from when I was really young. I went to my first pet store last weekend after not going for a long time. I loudly said I would never buy any animal from here because there all puppy millers. And that there are plenty of cats and dogs at the shelters. My hubby was saying for me to shhhh. I was embarassing him apparently.

Lucky Rescue
March 3rd, 2005, 12:37 PM
Good for you! :thumbs up

You might also want to tell people about the incredible suffering involved in creating these cute little money-making puppies - that the parents often live in cramped and filthy cages their entire lives, pumping out puppies til they no longer can and are thrown in the trash.

Trinitie
March 3rd, 2005, 01:39 PM
What you're doing is super!
Be careful the employees of the pet store don't catch you or overhear you though. You don't want to open yourself up to a slander or other lawsuit!

Other than that - keep it up!!! :thumbs up

wjranch
March 3rd, 2005, 02:14 PM
with the turn over of teenage kids who work there?? no one will recognize me :) I do use some decorum when I speak to the folks. I want to seem like an intellegent, educated person, not a whacko! lol
Thanks for the support.

mastifflover
March 3rd, 2005, 02:25 PM
What you're doing is super!
Be careful the employees of the pet store don't catch you or overhear you though. You don't want to open yourself up to a slander or other lawsuit!

Other than that - keep it up!!! :thumbs up

Well it would only be slander if it were lies. What you are doing is great and also suggest rescues to these people who would like dogs there are lots of purebreds in rescue. I try and do the samething whenever I am in one of those stores but never buy anything from them. You go :crazy:

Bearsmom
March 3rd, 2005, 02:26 PM
Wonderful job! I just did the same thing the other day in our local pet store (which was featured on W5 for buying from BYBs a couple of years ago).

I saw 3 beautiful lab pups in the window, so I thought I'd go in just out of curiosity. I asked the salesguy where the dogs came from-his reply was "around Elmira somewhere" (yeah, the land of the puppy mill). I asked what kind of pups they were. His reply was, "well, they're not purebred labs, but they're 'true to breed'". Hmm, asks me, "what exactly is true to breed". He says, they look exactly like the breed but aren't registered.

I asked him what they were asking for the pups. He said around $900. "REALLY?" I darn near yelled. "Why in God's name would you pay that for a "true to breed" when you can get a purebred CKC registered for that from a responsible breeder. His response was that they have to pay the guy what he got the puppies for. I asked him why they were supporting puppy mills. His response, "I know you work for the SPCA, so stop with all your questions". I told him that no, I didn't work for the SPCA, but wish I did, as I'd shut the store down.

Funny enough, a couple that was looking at the pups turned around and left after our exchange. They thanked me in the parking lot and vowed to never buy a pup from a pet store. EVER.

Signed,
The Caped Crusader hee hee

mafiaprincess
March 3rd, 2005, 02:31 PM
I am scared anytime my roomate wants to go to Petland... They constantly have JRT X puppies, and they are almost all 'breeding accidents'. The employees tell me that good breeders are the parents of the pups, bu tthey had an oops. If you were a good breeder, I would assume you would keep a tight leash on your girl if you knew she was in heat whether you were goign to breed during that heat or not...

Also, they can never tell me what the X puppies are. I thought they had boxer pups, but they claimed they were JRT X, and couldn't tell me what they were crossed with. Frieghtening. Ans all for the low price of about a grand, for any dog in that store..

Trinitie
March 3rd, 2005, 02:34 PM
I just look at it this way - if nobody else (but the intended person/people) hears me, there's no way for them to cry foul - that the business is suffering because of what's being said. On that grounds they could call the law into it. If they "think" you're hurting business, that's when the trouble could start. If "they" can't hear you, better!

Quiet conversations are the best ones in this instance. :evil:

Bearsmom
March 3rd, 2005, 04:18 PM
Fortunately, there isn't much they can do about me questioning where the puppies came from. If they'd asked me to leave, and I didn't, I could have been charged under the Trespass to Property Act. They didn't ask me to leave, I just thought it odd that when questioned they became so hostile. (probably from all those other folks who have just bought the pups without any research).

The reason why I went into this place was to see if this particular store had changed their ways since they were investigated on W-5. Any of the conversations I had with the clerk were very civil (more through my gritted teeth), I just couldn't figure out why the clerk got so hostile so quickly. This store is known for being extremely defensive since the W-5 special on them was featured, and anyone who questions anything about their pups is frequently accused of working for the SPCA. (I still wish I did).

I saw a border collie cross in a 2 1/2 foot high cage. Pup could barely stand up in it. No toys, blankets anything for the pups. Has this place changed? Doubt it.

Shamrock
March 3rd, 2005, 04:36 PM
Kudos to you! I refuse to buy so much as a dog comb from any store that sells pets, and have told them why.( not like they care)

Good for you for speaking out to educate people. :thumbs up So many people just dont know the sad background behind it all..

coppperbelle
March 6th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Last week I was on spring break and did some shopping during the day. I happened to go by a pet shop and saw all these little puppies in cages on the floor of the store just by the entrance. I guess because it was spring break there were lots of people shopping and looking at the puppies. I was so tempted to go in and tell everyone where those puppies came from.
Good for you, now I wish I had gone into the store.

pitbulliest
March 7th, 2005, 02:33 PM
I do that too...but to be honest..I'm a bit scared...can't they kick you out of the store or arrest you for that kind of stuff since its THEIR property? I dunno..otherwise hey..I'd make a point to go every dang day! lol

Prin
March 7th, 2005, 06:22 PM
I thought of getting a chesapeake bay retriever but after research and asking vets, I decided against it until I get a farm. The vet told me that after a month in the city, the dogs get so bored they eat themselves. I went to a mall in the middle of the rich part of town where people work 18 hours/day keeping themselves very rich and there in the pet store were 3 chesapeakes. I asked the clerk why they had dogs that were known to not last in the city and that will be 100% likely to end up at the SPCA and she said "These are different chesapeakes." I said "A breed is a breed, any dog seller would know that?" It escalated until she asked me to leave. How can you work there?

It's like the ad for a job I answered looking for "animal lover to take care of animals" that actually was a job for a toxicology lab and I was supposed to gradually increase the dose of drugs in 200 monkeys and 50 dogs until they died. WHAT animal LOVER would do that???

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 30th, 2005, 07:19 PM
I talked to the owner of the new Petland in our town. He tried to feed me this story of how they take care of their animals, and how they are from local breeders.Some pug puppies are from a lady that had pug pups by accident. They are 900 dollars because mixed breeds are healthier than purebreds. This may or not be true but tallking to this guy made my skin crawl. I was invited to come back in and take a tour of the store. I think I will and let him know what I think of them selling there dogs. Whether they are puppymill dogs or BYB dogs its still disgusting to see them in their little puppy aquariums.

StaceyB
August 30th, 2005, 07:47 PM
I would state that all of their equal competition only carries dogs/cats from local shelters and ask why they don't.

Zues is my baby
September 1st, 2005, 11:53 AM
Good for you My fiance and I got suckered into buying Zues froma pet store. He looked so sappy and calm and we fell in love with him, We shortly found out why he was so calm and sad looking. That was becasue he had Kennel Cough, a flue, and round worms and another type of worms. The poor boy. But when we found out all that was wrong with him he tried to bring him back and the store would not take him back. We ended up spending like $1000.00 to get him healthy then another $1200.00 for his vaccinations and to be fixed. Oh yes and as well they told us that he only needed one more set of shots but he needed 2 more. But now that all is well he is a good boy and I love him, it's just too bad that he had to go through all of that at such a young age.

StaceyB
September 1st, 2005, 12:29 PM
Anything that will cut into their profits they won't do. I have heard similar stories like yours far too often, it's sad.

Zues is my baby
September 1st, 2005, 03:40 PM
It is soo sad he is a pure bread but you also have to think that I'd say almost all of the dogs there are sick with something, you have to wonder what they do with them when they get sick. I'm just glad we rescued him from that terrible place he is such a sweet boy.

Kariia
September 1st, 2005, 03:50 PM
I can't believe they'd sell a Neo... they are hard to take care of, and get HUUUUUUUUUUGE!! But of course, when you see that cute wrinkly face- erm , actually the whole dog is wrinkly...YOU WANT PICS! Do you have pics of Zeus?

Zues is my baby
September 1st, 2005, 04:04 PM
I know I couldn't belive it too but they led us to belive at the store that it was a bull mastiff. Yes he'll get huge but he's supper smart and is picking things uf real fast. I do have pick of him but I don't know how to post them. He is a Brindle.

Kariia
September 1st, 2005, 07:48 PM
:eek: Bad petstore!

You hit "manage attachments", find a pic of him, and upload it.

laughingwaters
September 4th, 2005, 08:15 AM
I think any point of sale for animals should be regulated. Driving away individual customers with a big stick isn't going to change the situation one iota. People who are against current pet store policies should come together and agitate for real change. To me this just can't be effective. I hear what you say about educating people but I'm not educated by a zealous stranger giving unsolicited advice.

Sneaky
September 4th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Good for you.
One thing I wish is that some people would start sticking
up for the poor fish these pet stores sell as well.
We could all begin by sticking up for the fish against the pet store
employees who are trying to tell people that Goldfish are fine in a 10g
tank, or even worse, in a fish bowl.
Pet stores commonly sell pond and river fish that grow far too large for
the average aquarium, and still tell people the common fallacy "they will only grow to the size of the aquarium" even though scientific studies have proved that this only causes painful stunting, and the internal organs continue to grow until the poor fish (usually a goldfish), dies because its kidneys and liver rupture and kill the poor thing at about 1-3 years of age. Horrible considering the fancy goldfish grow to be about 14 inches and live 30 years.
If you are so adamant in pet stores about puppy and kitten mills, please mention the fish that dont fit in regular sized aquariums. Some commonly sold fish that suffer and die from being stunted:
Irridescent Sharks (in the wild grow to 4-8 feet long and can weigh 300 pounds or more)
Bala Sharks (14 inches of pure muscle, these fish are tank busters requiring an aquarium 150gallons or larger))
Goldfish (fancys grow to be 14 inches, requiring a 55g tank for 2 fish; commons grow to be 3 feet long, as do comets- being suited for nothing smaller than a pond)
Kissing Gouramis (14 inches at maturity, living 20years +, highly aggressive requiring a tank no less than 135gallons)
Red Tail Catfish (this 36 inch catfish has no reason to be kept in an aquarium)
Columbian Sharks/ White Tipped Catfish (this 30 inch behemoth will eat anything it can catch, including fish up to around 8 inches)
Clown Knifefish (reaching 36-48 inches this fish grows reasonably slowly, but at maturity will require a tank in excess of 300 gallons)
Chinese Hi Fin Sucker/ Chinese Bat Fish (hitting 36 inches and going through a dramatic change in color and shape, these fish are not for the average aquariast, as they no longer are cute or batshaped at maturity, and usually die of starvation in small tanks that do no provide enough algae for this vegitarian to survive)

And finally, the most commonly abused and mistreated fish of all:
Siamese Fighting Fish/Betta - in the wild this fish lives in rice paddys, millions of gallons of constantly slow flowing, very pure water, hardly the "mud puddle" people assume they are. This fish can be kept in tanks as small as 1 gallon, but shouldnt be kept in anything less. They require filtered, clean water as they are sensitive to ammonia, nitrites, and chlorine. They require a heater or very warm room, as in the wild Bettas come from waters 80F or higher. And most of all, they require regular water changes to keep them healthy and happy. They do not belong in a vase any more than your puppy belongs in a closet. In the wild, and if properly cared for, a Betta will live as long as 5 years. The fact is, most bettas die within 1 month of purchase, and live no longer than 1 year on average.

If you are passionate about animals, speak out, the fish cant talk, and still, people are allowed to kill them on a daily basis. Why? "They are Just fish", well yes, they are Just Fish, but they are intelligent, have long term memories, can problem solve, and feel pain just like you and I. Why are people arrested for beating a dog, but noone even sniffs when they kill goldfish after goldfish after goldfish in the hopes that one will become stunted enough and survive long enough to live a year in a 1/2 gallon bowl?

TobsterMom
September 21st, 2005, 02:02 PM
I just had to post. I thought I was the only one who did this. I don't neccessarily talk to people in the pet store (it's not very busy because they sell over the internet and deliver the animals throughout the maritimes) but I grill the workers on where they come from etc. They try to justify these pets and say they do not condone pm's and that they get their dogs from responsible people...WHATEVER!!!

I do go in and ask to see the dogs (they take them out one by one, they're in a back room and you can see what animals they have on a computer, in the front of their store) I love on them and play with them, until the employees give me dirty looks. Last time I went, they had mini schnauzers, one little guy had a really bad tail docking done, I was actually concerned he might get infection. I was tempted to put him under my shirt and take him to get checked...but hubby convinced me not to.

Anyway, they're probably getting sick of me, and I guess I'm really not doing anything helpful, but I think I make them all uncomfortable. :evil:

Gloworm
September 21st, 2005, 02:19 PM
Good for you.
One thing I wish is that some people would start sticking
up for the poor fish these pet stores sell as well.
We could all begin by sticking up for the fish against the pet store
employees who are trying to tell people that Goldfish are fine in a 10g
tank, or even worse, in a fish bowl.
Pet stores commonly sell pond and river fish that grow far too large for
the average aquarium, and still tell people the common fallacy "they will only grow to the size of the aquarium" even though scientific studies have proven that this only causes painful stunting, and the internal organs continue to grow until the poor fish (usually a goldfish), dies because its kidneys and liver rupture and kill the poor thing at about 1-3 years of age. Horrible considering the fancy goldfish grow to be about 14 inches and live 30 years.

I had always heard that goldfish were happy/healthy in very small quarters. I found it weird, but believed it. I had absolutely NO clue about fish cruelty in general until reading your post. Sneakypete, thanks for sharing your knowledge. :angel:

TobsterMom
September 21st, 2005, 02:27 PM
I have to agree with the fish thing. We bought fish at a department store one time, cute little orange fish, Freddy, Bob, and Cutie. My son loved them sooo much, but they didn't stay little for long. we had a 10 gallon tank, which we thought was perfect for 3 little fish....but they got bigger, and bigger, until they were cramped. I was going to go out and buy a bigger aquarium, but decided to research the fish (I knew absolutely nothing about em) and discovered that they were pond fish (NOBODY TOLD ME!!! They even asked what size tank we had!). So I put out an ad in the paper, looking for a great pond home for our fishies. A couple and their son came to pick them up and were thrilled...they had a really nice pond in their yard and were experienced with fish. It kind of had a nice ending, but my son was really upset, even though we told him they would be much happier in a pond :( .

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 21st, 2005, 02:36 PM
I had no clue about the goldfish issue either, There are lots of different types of fish for sale in our local petstore, rays included how big do they get. Thanks for educating us. :)

heidiho
September 21st, 2005, 02:43 PM
I was thinking about this pet store thing and yeas it is sad and sucks,but it is not the animals fault that they are bred and put in pet stores so as far as i s ee it thank god people do go and buy them there and get them out of there,because this is one of those things where the pet stores are just not gonna go away no matter how many people are against them,and getting people to not go there i seriously doubt will make them shut down either cause u are always gonna have the people that will go there and get there pets...

Sneaky
September 21st, 2005, 03:23 PM
I would like to share a picture with you all of
Bruce the Oranda, He is a famous worldwide Goldfish
who has won acclaim because he is a show fish!
Keep in mind he is only 1 year old in this picture, it is a
mans large hands holding him for the picture.
Bruce is now about 4 years old, and is hitting the 14 inch
mark, minus the tail. (tail not included in measurement, just snout to
base of tail). He has won International Awards for Best Goldfish
Of the Year in Japan and China, as well as London.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v698/sneakiest_pete/Bruce.jpg

Sneaky
September 21st, 2005, 03:26 PM
Stingrays? Depends on the type.
Teacup Rays grow to about 1 foot across the body.
Motoro Rays (quite common) grow to about 3 feet across
the body.
Rays are an interesting fish, but even the smallest Ray needs
a tank in excess of 6 feet or around 125 gallons.
They are usually best kept in custom tanks that are long and wide and not very tall, somewhat like a turtle tank.

LM1313
September 30th, 2005, 03:51 AM
As if anyone needed further reason not to buy from pet stores . . . I was on a (non-pet) message board where someone asked in the off topic section what happened to puppies that weren't bought, since so many pet stores ONLY had puppies, not adult dogs.

One poster's response was this:

Luckily where I live it is illegal to sell dogs and frowned upon to sell cats. A pet store my sisters friend worked at used to take everything from cats to rats to parrots out the back, in bags and just smack them against the wall if they were ill, injured or too old. It was nicknamed the 'death wall'.

Kittens and other animals were then tied in the bags and just left often to bleed to death. Nice. Luckily my sister's friend caught the owner at it, she left and reported them, they were closed down soon after and the shop has been replaced by a furniture stores (this was a big well known shop).

Every kitten or puppy you buy from one of thosepet shops means another pitiful puppy mill dog is put through another breeding to replace that puppy. You are paying people to abuse animals when it balls down it. You might save one puppy, but your killing a whole load of others.

I wish it was the owner of that shop getting smacked against the wall. :mad:

~LM~

lperms
October 2nd, 2005, 01:37 PM
Good For you! :) I certainly make loud comments if I am standing beside someone who seems interested in a puppy or kitten from a pet store. Our Pet stores have increasingly become bad for the support of puppy/kitten mills. There is nothing worse than selling a beagle,fox terrier,maltese X for $899 without a spay/neuter contract,guarantee or a stable pedigree of healthy dogs. It's just terrible, and the puppies are often in urine stained cages, cramped and have no blankets to keep small breeds of paws from falling and getting constantly caught up in between the grates of the cages. It really is just gross. . .

Martine

Naliath
October 11th, 2005, 12:02 AM
a little late, i guess since the last post was in december, but still.
To add to the fish dilemma, also keep in mind that ALL, except maybe one or two species, of salt water fish are wild-caught imports. It's legal, in that they usually have permits, I believe, but still something I have a huge issue with. Also, salt water fish are extremely sensitive and delicate creatures and die really quickly and often, even when people are trying their best. Too many people try to keep them without doing the research and without knowing what they are doing. I used to work in PetCetera, and I'd always discourage people who were looking into starting a saltwater tank, or else refer them to my boss, who knew tons about it and would make sure that they knew what they were getting into.

joeysmama
November 12th, 2005, 11:57 PM
When we lost our dog I said that I would not want another one for a very long time. Well it wasn't a week before I felt like I just had to hold a puppy !! I went to the pet store and I was AMAZED at what they were asking for those poor dogs.

Our dog was a rescue dog but I'm really not sure who saved whom ! I still have the number of the no-kill rescue agency where we got Joey, but we are so tempted to have a puppy for the kids,(who are no longer kids !!) so we've been thinking about finding a breeder.

I thought we might get another shih tzu and someone said there is a breeder about a half hour from here who is reputable. I had no luck on the internet.

Anyway---I'll keep trying. I will call the shelter on Monday and the lady who was supposed to get me the number of the breeder as well.

But....I think I want two dogs so I am open to other breeds as well. I just love furries and need at least one in my house !

melanie
November 13th, 2005, 04:05 PM
sneaky pete good point..i dont approve, and do so quite loudly at the sale of any animal, fish, frog, dog cat you name it does not matter, they are all equals and deserve protection. i hate it when ppl buy australian native reptiles, there is nothing more deplorable than going into a habitat and stealing the animals (legally or not your stealing it) and our native reptiles, i think its sad and wrong, we have domesticated pets, why destory other animals for the almighty human desire to own and manipulate everything. it is heartbreaking to see a blue tounge lizard in a tank, after he had a wonderful life in the bush, till some creep came and took him away, gosh humans make me sick most days.

when i go into pet shops (only ever by mistake, or the rural feed ppl sell them) i go burko, literlally, i often will start heated arguments with store owners, i dont care if thats rude either, its high time ppl started standing up for what they believwe, there are far to many wussy ppl in this world and im not going to be one of them. and i make sure all and sundry hear me to, especially little children in stores. and there aint no slander in the truth about animal care.

grr why to live sales.

hey rome jsut introduced new laws that state the size a fish tank must be, fish cannot be given as prizes under the laws, and a variety fo others, there will also be an $850 fine for anyone who is found not to be walking their dogs daily, bloody great stuff. compared to them, aussies are so arcaic about animals, its disgusting.:mad: