Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy questions!

Princesss04
March 3rd, 2005, 08:42 AM
Okay you all I have a question. You would think I would remember this since Meater is not old so he went through this not to long ago. So anyway I was wondering when do they start to lose their puppy teeth? Chino has not lost any but when we took him to the vet he weighed 26.5 pounds. Is this normal for them to weigh that much and be so little. I just have never had a dog that has been that big at that young of an age. I mean Meater is almost a year and he weighs 36 to 40 pounds. And also I have been reading on here and other places that Rotts are pron to hip and knee problems, etc. Is there anything I can do to prevent him from going through some of these things? Thank you all for your help and time. :D

goldenblaze
March 3rd, 2005, 09:18 AM
Puppies don't you love them. ;) I remember Blaze's teeth coming out around 4/5 months I have 3 of them. Yes it is true that larger breds can have problems like HD and others.

Everyone has their own opinion on this so I go by what my Vet told me to do. I feed large bred food to Blaze and it started with LBP. I believe there is a differance that is why it's now made. Years ago you could only buy puppy food, now they make it for LB.... there is a reason for this.

Our Vet told us not to much jumping as a puppy is a good thing to, I know it's hard to stop but it's really hard on their hips so try to control it if you can. ;) Good Luck with your pup.
Hope this helps.

Princesss04
March 3rd, 2005, 09:29 AM
That is a problem he loves to jump. We try to left him on and off the bed etc. But he LOVES to play did I say LOVES becuase I mean loves. LOL :D I wonder is there any vitimans or anything like that I could give him to maybe help this out a little bit? :D

Princesss04
March 3rd, 2005, 09:55 AM
I have been reading on the internet where it says to give dogs vitiman C until they are at least 2 years old. They said in the form of veggies, meat, etc. And than said to give a vitiman C pill in the morning and one at night.

Rottnsue
March 3rd, 2005, 11:20 AM
Usually with Rottie pups you can count on at least 10 pounds per month of age.. so if the pup is 6 months, 60 pounds wouldn't be uncommon. I have two 7 month old littermate males. One is 65 pounds, the other is 82. <shrug>

I suggest no roadworking (running your rottie) or excessive jumping until at least age 18 months. The normal running in your yard and play jumping is okay. I'm talking serious agility stuff.

HD and ED does occur in Rotties quite often, depending on the line. Were your puppy's parents OFA'd? Code of Ethic's breeders will have hips, elbows, and hearts certified by OFA and eyes CERF. Many others also include testing for VonWildebrandts and thyroid.

Rottie pups, more common in males, can develop Pano. "Growing pains"... You can research it on the web, but basically they will limp and it will alternate from leg to leg.. I've found that cutting down on protein intake helps, even though I've not found independent research to back it up.

If you have any more Rottie breed specific questions, I'd be more than happy to help. :)
Susan

mafiaprincess
March 3rd, 2005, 11:26 AM
I started to find puppy front teeth at 3-3.5 months. Canines fell out/ she was in pain I heped them out slightly at 4.5-5 months. At 6 months her last 3 teeth (non molar) are coming in. I ended up finding about 13 teeth in the end... not a fun thing to step on in the middle of the night. :eek:

goldenblaze
March 3rd, 2005, 11:32 AM
I'm not sure as people have their opinion on this too but our Vet told us to put Blaze on G/C 2x per day. Easter C is great for growing joints to. Blaze is on both and is doing well, can't hurt. My Lab had serve HD in both hips, this time we are watching and know all we need to know just incase. G/C many people give as the dog gets older but it's good for growing up too. :thumbs up

raingirl
March 3rd, 2005, 02:07 PM
Don't want to hijack the thread, but I just want to tell a short funny story.
I was at the dogpark two days ago with a neighbour, and a woman came by with her two heeler crosses. She recognized my dog because she works at the vet clinic as a groomer. We were talking and Odin and her younger dog were getting along great. then I noticed blood on Odin's coat. Turns out her dog lost a tooth while playing!! It was his last one and she wanted to keep it, but it was lost in the snow! She knew it was about to fall out and she felt so bad her dog bled on Odin! Oh well!! In the elevator on the way home, some guy though my dog got in a fight but I explained to him the blood was from another dog who lost a baby tooth, he just laughed! Odin didn't mind, but I had to give him a bath. She offered to give me a free nail clipping in return!

doggy lover
March 3rd, 2005, 04:09 PM
I have a few of Tuckers teeth, I still think I have a few of Travis I've kept them for over ten years sick isn't it. I have my kids too and their 17 and 15 maybe I should make a necklace.

raingirl
March 3rd, 2005, 04:42 PM
I am 26 and I have a pouch with all my baby teeth.