Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Letting neighbors dog in house

honeybee4
March 2nd, 2005, 02:02 PM
There is a dog next door to us that is outside quite a bit even in cold weather. She sometimes comes over to play with Harley in the backyard (He is always watching for her out the window). I post a picture of them together in the pictures forum. Anyways, would it be wrong for me to let her into our house to play with Harley and/or get warm from being out in the cold? She sometimes has iclies hanging from her fur cause she is out so long. The first time I had seen her she was at the end of our driveway covered in mud (it was the fall) the second time I seen her she was standing in the middle of our road. I got her off the road and back into her yard, but not before a car almost hit her. Anyways Just wondering if it would be ok for her, or would be be teaching her that she lives in two homes?

Lucky Rescue
March 2nd, 2005, 02:15 PM
This dog is being sadly neglected, not only by being left outside, but by being allowed to run loose, which is against the law in most places.

It's quite possible the owners don't want her, in which case maybe you could take her, or foster her and find her a wonderful home with people who care if she lives or dies.

honeybee4
March 2nd, 2005, 02:21 PM
Yes it is a by law in my city that you have to have your dog on your own property at all times unless it is on a leash. The just moved in last fall. I went the day after I had seen her on the road to warn her that cars tend to speed up and down our road even though it is a 50 km/hr. I asked her some other question about the dog just cause i was curious. She said that she had just gotten him for free from a military family that was relocating. I am not sure if they really wanted her or not and just took her cause she was free. She is currently not spayed because she asked me if Harley was. I told her yes of course he is. She said, good cause I don't want her dog to get pregnant, well get her spayed then, common sense. How could I bring this up to her, about us taking her or maybe finding her another home, without offending her? She has 5 kids all under the age of 9, which must be alot for her anyways. and they play with my kids. So I dont' want to have any bad blood between us.

lilith_rizel
March 2nd, 2005, 02:28 PM
First ask if it is OK for you to let the dog in you house, to play with your dog, when she is about. That's how I would start off.

mastifflover
March 2nd, 2005, 02:36 PM
I agree start off on a very helpful note gain her trust and then once you feel that you are both comfortable with each other. You do not want to offend her in anyway. Then casually bring the dogs up in conversation and run with it she maybe to embarrassed to say she really does not want the dog or maybe with the kids it is just too much. Once you have chatted a few times I am sure you will find the right time to bring it up. She is lucky to have such a caring neighbour

Lucky Rescue
March 2nd, 2005, 02:41 PM
She said that she had just gotten him for free from a military family that was relocating. I am not sure if they really wanted her or not and just took her cause she was free

See why I rant about "Free pets"?? :mad:

This dog will be pregnant soon and you can imagine what will happen to the puppies.

This woman might be very glad if you offer to take the dog. This is how I got my last dog - from a neighbour who had no time for him. He was thrilled at our offer to take him in.

You do get more flies with honey. You might sympathize over how busy this woman must be, and how much effort and work dogs are, then offer to take her in.;)

honeybee4
March 2nd, 2005, 02:42 PM
thanks for the suggestions. I will go over some day when the kids go over to play and talk to her. She if she minds me letting the dog come over to play with harley sometimes. some days it is just to cold for them to play in the back yard, As soon as Harley sees her in the yard, he starts wining to be let out and runs around the house from window to window to door to door. I think he is in love. :love:

honeybee4
March 2nd, 2005, 02:49 PM
Another sad thing about it is, that a couple days after we got our kitten, two of her kids were at our house and seen him. The next day my daughter came home from there house and said that they had just gotten a baby kitten and it was so small. So I am kind of worry about that too. Her kids don't bother with our kitten when they are over, but I am not sure how their kitten is being treated. By the way my daughter discribe the kitten, it was like it was almost to young to be away from its mother, but I don't know.