Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Female Yorkie spotting after giving birth

Lisa2005
March 2nd, 2005, 01:06 PM
My female, 4 years old, gave birth Jan. 5. to 5 puppies. A large litter! This was her second litter in 2 years. No porblems the first time. This time however she has had a bloody discharge on and off since the birthing, 8 weeks ago today.
Yes, I took her to the vet 2 weeks ago. He said her vulva was swollen almost as if in heat, which is highly unlikely. He did a swab and found bacteria and a low white blood count which was a good sign (a high count would mean major infection). He put her on an anitbiotic which she is finishing up now.
She will go one or two days, not spotting, then go a few days with spotting. Red in color, pea size drops to nickel size. Her appetite is good, no fever and just as playful as ever.
I will be taking her back to the vet, but he seemed as perplexed as I. I am hoping that someone else has expierenced this and could have some insight.
Thank you.... Lisa

sammiec
March 2nd, 2005, 01:11 PM
I hope everything works out and your's health is back to normal.

Unforatunately I don't have any information to offer you because my dog is spayed. I value our relationship and want to keep her safe from possibly deadly infections.

happycats
March 2nd, 2005, 02:06 PM
Maybe your dog is haemorrhaging, This could kill her.
I think you should get her spayed ASAP, because if she is bred again, she could bleed to death!!

Trinitie
March 2nd, 2005, 02:20 PM
Your dog is bleeding after giving birth. She needs to be spayed.

Karin
March 2nd, 2005, 07:07 PM
My female, 4 years old, gave birth Jan. 5. to 5 puppies. A large litter! This was her second litter in 2 years. No porblems the first time. This time however she has had a bloody discharge on and off since the birthing, 8 weeks ago today.
Yes, I took her to the vet 2 weeks ago. He said her vulva was swollen almost as if in heat, which is highly unlikely. He did a swab and found bacteria and a low white blood count which was a good sign (a high count would mean major infection). He put her on an anitbiotic which she is finishing up now.
She will go one or two days, not spotting, then go a few days with spotting. Red in color, pea size drops to nickel size. Her appetite is good, no fever and just as playful as ever.
I will be taking her back to the vet, but he seemed as perplexed as I. I am hoping that someone else has expierenced this and could have some insight.
Thank you.... Lisa

On another note* Did you leave the puppy tails long & natural? Or did the vet dock the tails? Tail dockings are usually done at 3 to 5 days of age...no later. After 5 day's it is an amputation requiring surgery.
If a vet docked the tails they also give mom a check up too.
Just curious....